Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Have You Ever Suspended A Child For One Day?
daycare 10:06 AM 03-03-2011
I have a 4.5yr old DCK who is just off the wall crazy today. The child is normally crazy, but today the child has gotten very physical. Kicking, hitting, lying, and just acting completely crazy.

I have given several chances to regain control, but nothing is working today. I decided finally that the child is going down for an early nap, Which I have never done before.

The mom is one of my best clients and is always quick to take my advice and does not let her child get away with much at all.

There has been some family drama at home, but this does not justify his behavior today, or should I say this week. I have been having so many issues with the child this week and am thinking that I would like to do a one day suspension, or maybe even call the mom and have her pick up the child today.

This child will be devastated if sent home, as the child loves to be here.

What is your take on this and what would you do to resolve it?
momatheart 10:32 AM 03-03-2011
I would set the child at the table away from other children and have him look at books or do something quiet. I would tell him when he behaves like this he doesn't get to play with friends.
daycare 10:57 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by momatheart:
I would set the child at the table away from other children and have him look at books or do something quiet. I would tell him when he behaves like this he doesn't get to play with friends.
I think that his behavior has gone beyond this and has physically hurt other people.
In school, if a kid were to do this they would be suspended.....

Am I being to harsh?
Abigail 11:22 AM 03-03-2011
At age four and a half you should give a warning tonight to the mom and make sure you document it and have it signed. This is what happened.....this was the plan of action....this was the result....if it happens again this will happen.

If you have already given out a warning and the child is still disruptive I would call mom now to come pick up and may not return tomorrow for poor behavior to "take a break". Will you charge her if she is gone for a day on your request?
daycare 11:26 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
At age four and a half you should give a warning tonight to the mom and make sure you document it and have it signed. This is what happened.....this was the plan of action....this was the result....if it happens again this will happen.

If you have already given out a warning and the child is still disruptive I would call mom now to come pick up and may not return tomorrow for poor behavior to "take a break". Will you charge her if she is gone for a day on your request?
Yes, this is exactly what has happened this week. Has been given several warings and nothing is working. I am thinking though if I have him picked up today that he can return tomorrow becuase then mom will have to miss 1.5 day of work due to it...

thanks abigail for your response.....very helpful.
Tags:disipline, punishment, suspend
Reply Up