Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Terminating A Family - Do You Keep the Deposit?
Unregistered 12:23 AM 06-14-2016
Hi guys,

I had to terminate a family for the first time over a difficult divorce!

Things got very difficult and I had to give my notice, but what do you do in a situation like that do you keep the deposit or let them use it?

It is a lot of money lost since I can't enroll a new family so quickly. But since i am the one who made the decision to terminate, should I be responsable for that money lost as well just to avoid more arguing?
Michael 12:48 AM 06-14-2016
Here is a similar thread: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68336
childcaremom 03:05 AM 06-14-2016
What does your contract say about you terming?

What was the deposit for? Their last 2 weeks?

Was it an immediate term or did you give 2 weeks notice?
sleepinghart 04:43 AM 06-14-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hi guys,

I had to terminate a family for the first time over a difficult divorce!

Things got very difficult and I had to give my notice, but what do you do in a situation like that do you keep the deposit or let them use it?

It is a lot of money lost since I can't enroll a new family so quickly. But since i am the one who made the decision to terminate, should I be responsable for that money lost as well just to avoid more arguing?
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
What does your contract say about you terming?

What was the deposit for? Their last 2 weeks?

Was it an immediate term or did you give 2 weeks notice?
~Yeah...It would be very hard, if not impossible, to give you accurate, proper advice without knowing the answers to childcaremom's ^^above questions^^. ~Also, to add one to that list, I know you said they had a difficult divorce situation, but what was the specific reason you termed?
Crazy8 07:06 AM 06-14-2016
It really depends on the circumstances of the term and what your contract states.

My contract states that deposits are forfeited if I have to term immediately due to any violations of my contract. I have never had to do an immediate term, always allowed them to use their deposit for their last week of care.
thrivingchildcarecom 10:13 AM 06-14-2016
What does your contract state? My contract says the deposit is to be used for the last two weeks of care, so as long as I allow them 2 weeks notice there is no refund to be given. I would review what your contract indicates the deposit is for.
AmyKidsCo 11:49 AM 06-14-2016
It all depends on what your contract says. With mine, all payments are non-refundable so if I terminate I keep the last 2 weeks payment.

Tom Copeland says not to call it a "deposit" because parents will think they can get the money back.
http://tomcopelandblog.com/how-would...rs-program-and
Thriftylady 05:33 PM 06-14-2016
I do call mine a deposit maybe I should change that. But I also have my parents initial a line on the contract that all payments are non-refundable. I may though in some cases refund it. It just depends on why I termed I guess. I try to be fair, but in some cases I wouldn't even consider a refund. So I find it easier to say there will never be one, that way I have full choice.
Tags:deposit - won't refund, deposit agreement
Reply Up