Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dinosaurs, Healthy Eating and Army Men
theycallmetaytor 03:32 PM 03-01-2013
So, while I was standing at the kitchen sink today scrubbing dinosaurs, my 1 nephew for the day was sitting at the table eating a pb&j. I got to thinking...I need to eat healthier, my nephews (dcks) need to eat better. I'm not licensed, just relative care for the time being. How does everyone eat healthier on a budget? I usually only have about 150 left over for groceries each month and I have no idea where to start.

Also, where does everyone stand on army men (gi-joes)?

Ps. Coming up with a title for these threads is always fun! Hahaha..
Sunchimes 03:43 PM 03-01-2013
>"... I was standing at the kitchen sink today scrubbing dinosaurs..."

Now there's a sentence you don't get to say every day.

I find that spending all of my spare time cooking is the only way I can save. Buying in bulk doesn't work for me because I only have 2 toddlers and because I don't have a deep freeze, just the refrigerator freezer. Cooking from scratch is just cheaper than convenience food.

My current stance on army men depends on what kind. The GI Joes that are the same size as Barbies seem fine to me, just off the top of my head. Mine aren't old enough yet for me to make that decision.

As for the little soldiers that are a couple of inches high, I won't let them in my house ever!! My kids either put them in their mouth or dump.
NeedaVaca 04:43 PM 03-01-2013
I make foods that go a long way. I plan meals for the week already knowing what I can do with the leftovers. Roast a chicken or family pack of thighs for dinner, make quesadillas the next day. I buy ham (3-4 at a time when they are on sale) makes a great dinner, can serve ham for lunch for my DCK, make scrambled eggs and ham for a breakfast and then use the ham hock to make split pea soup, bean soup or ham & potato soup. The soup will feed my family for dinner and also DCK for a lunch! That's like 5 meals and the ham is around $8.

I coupon like crazy! I get great deals and stock up for months to a year at a time. That's my biggest money saver.

I also love to work in my garden during the summer and I can/freeze as much as possible for the year. My dad fishes so I get free fish. I split a 1/2 beef with my brother, my parents get the other half. When chicken/pork goes on a big sale I buy as much as possible.
DCBlessings27 05:47 PM 03-01-2013
Originally Posted by theycallmetaytor:
So, while I was standing at the kitchen sink today scrubbing dinosaurs, my 1 nephew for the day was sitting at the table eating a pb&j. I got to thinking...I need to eat healthier, my nephews (dcks) need to eat better. I'm not licensed, just relative care for the time being. How does everyone eat healthier on a budget? I usually only have about 150 left over for groceries each month and I have no idea where to start.

Also, where does everyone stand on army men (gi-joes)?

Ps. Coming up with a title for these threads is always fun! Hahaha..
I'm not sure which area of town you live in, but Aldi is a great place to start. Their produce is good most of the time. If you get something that isn't good, they'll refund your money and replace the item.

The produce at regular Walmarts here is awful. But, the neighborhood Walmarts usually have better quality. You can price-match Aldi's prices at Walmart.

As to Gi-Joes, I don't know much about them. My brothers were farm kids, so they played with farming toys mainly. My daycare has always been mostly girls, plus I have 2 daughters, so I haven't really had much to do with army men.
Reply Up