Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Out of the Blue Drop off Crying
Peaches 07:15 AM 05-21-2015
I have a DCG that normal arrives happy and ready to play but the last few days this week she has come and as soon as her parents leave its hysterics with crying. She doesn't want to play with anything or anyone. I try to comfort her and offer activities she normally enjoys but nothing helps. So lately I tell her she's welcome to find something to play but if she continues crying she has to go to the crying corner until she stops then she can come join us. I feel awful, I don't know what going on that's prompting this behavior. I haven't changed anything daycare wise and my rules and behaviors are all the same. She usually stops the hysterical crying after 30/45 minutes and then joins us but the drama continues with tattling, whining, and general over reacting through out the rest of the day. Have others run into this and why it happens? Any suggestion on how else to be handling it?
Kabob 07:22 AM 05-21-2015
It could be a age/stage thing.

I went through this recently with a dck and it turned out that she simply wasn't getting enough sleep at home (again). I can't control what parents do at home but I moved up nap time for her here and magically she was in a much better mood here and slept better at home. Sometimes it's hard to get sleep when you're overtired and then a vicious cycle starts...
Josiegirl 10:05 AM 05-21-2015
Sometimes when one of my charges pulls that, it's because they're coming down with something or otherwise just feels out of it somehow, teething, tired, etc. This has been a week where every day one child or another hasn't wanted to stay. They've all been sick and some have stayed home a day or 2.
How old is your dcg? Does she get along well with all the dcks? Has she been picked on or having a tough time with anyone? Is she old enough to talk with about it?
Peaches 11:11 AM 05-21-2015
DCG will be 4 in 2 weeks. She gets along with everyone for the most part occassionally she and my son (4) will have squabbles but overall they are good friends and still play together in the evenings after daycare hours since we're neighbors. Something is definately off not sure if it's sleep or a change in parent quality time at home... but hope it gets better.
kendallina 11:23 AM 05-21-2015
Have you talked to mom? Are there any changes at home? Have you tried talking to DCG-is she able to verbalize anything?

I recently had one dcb who started complete hysterics at drop off and come to find out mom, who is pregnant is going in for some treatments on Tuesdays after she drops him off...and he was freaking out about that. She stopped talking about it in front of him and just started saying, I'm going to run some errands at drop off and he's totally fine again.
Angelsj 12:50 PM 05-21-2015
I had one young 5yo start a few years ago. Every day with the crying. I tried comfort, hugs, special games, crying corner, nothing worked. Finally, I just looked at her and said, "Stop it. You are five and you are fine. You are safe here. Knock it off and go play."
She never cried again...lol
daycare 01:57 PM 05-21-2015
Ask parents about any changes at home. It could be something super simple that changed in her family daily routine like maybe she used to eat breakfast with dad but now dad has to go into work earlier and can't.

It could be that mom is working later than normal. Anything out of routine is very upsetting for some kids and they don't know how to deal with it. M

I would talk to the parents and see what may have changed.

Also does this child have a new sibling?
spedmommy4 07:10 PM 05-21-2015
I would definitely check in on changes at home. I had a dcg3 do this and mom swore nothing had changed at home. I later found out mom was suddenly working excessively long hours and her parents custody situation had changed. Poor kid was a mess for weeks. :-(
cheerfuldom 05:38 AM 05-22-2015
I would ask mom too. I had a super whiny kid and found out that mom had an evening sitter and he was going a couple days a week with barely seeing his parents!
Reply Up