Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>children book recommendations
Peaches 07:49 AM 09-15-2015
I looking at revamping the children's library do you have any suggestions that are must haves?
DaveA 08:17 AM 09-15-2015
What ages are you dealing with? I'm lucky to have a library with a great children's section for themes and older kids, so I tend to lean toward the classics for younger kids: Eric Carle, Dr. Seuss. Board books I don't care so much about authors as much as bright and colorful. Our local dollar store had a bunch. Laura Numeroff (Give a Mouse a Cookie) and Jan Brett are always popular.
Laurel 08:48 AM 09-15-2015
Originally Posted by Peaches:
I looking at revamping the children's library do you have any suggestions that are must haves?
A good idea is to go to Barnes and Noble online (even if you aren't going to buy the books there) and type in the age and type of book you want (like board books). See what the best sellers are.

For mine, I liked the I Spy books for non fiction and anything by DK Publishing in board books. The I Spy books go from easy baby ones to quite advanced. All the kiddies loved them.

For fiction, I can't remember the names and authors of all of them but go to Barnes and Noble. I do know I personally loved the David books by David Shannon. My kids also liked these types of books. One was called Yes, Yes, No, No. I think it is by Todd Parr. It shows what they are not supposed to do and then the correct thing to do. They loved this kind of thing. David is always getting into mischief!

Laurel
nothingwithoutjoy 09:03 AM 09-15-2015
I love giving book recommendations! I am passionate about children's literature! But I've way too many favorites to start from scratch. Can you tell us how old your kids are? What are they most interested in? What books do they love most so far?
Josiegirl 09:25 AM 09-15-2015
Anything by Mo Willems, my dcks love them!
What age groups are you talking?
Controlled Chaos 09:36 AM 09-15-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Anything by Mo Willems, my dcks love them!
What age groups are you talking?

laundrymom 09:45 AM 09-15-2015
http://www.amazon.com/The-Scariest-M.../dp/1906250405

One of our favorites!!!!
Unregistered 09:52 AM 09-15-2015
Scholastic!

$1 books are always great choices!

They also categorize the books according to ages and topics.
Ariana 10:00 AM 09-15-2015
I have a bit of everything but anything by Eric Carle is a hit here for all ages!
jenboo 10:12 AM 09-15-2015
I love sandra boynton's books. Great books for infants and the toddlers love them because they are easy to memorize and "read" themselves.
Peaches 11:00 AM 09-15-2015
The ages are 1 to 5. I have a good selection of board books and a few picture books, but looking to add more picture books for the older kids. The I spy books are a good ideas because those could fill as a quiet time activity too.
nothingwithoutjoy 05:26 PM 09-15-2015
If you're interested in quiet-time entertain-yourself-for-a-long-time books, Richard Scarry is always a good bet; so much to look at and funny (Cars and Trucks and Things that Go; Best Word Book Ever; etc.)

Some all-time favorites that just about all my kids adore (and I'm happy to read again and again):
The Day the Babies Crawled Away
Have You Ever Seen a Moose?
Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
Alfie Gets in First
Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb
Andrew Henry's Meadow
The Park in the Dark
There's No Such Thing as a Dragon
Kiss the Cow
Rattletrap Car
Owl Babies
This Place in the Snow
Grandfather Twilight
Knuffle Bunny
Tuesday
Just Like a Baby
Some Babies

And there are classics you probably already have, but here are a few must-haves just in case:
Caps for Sale
Blueberries for Sal
The Snowy Day
Goodnight Moon
Harold and the Purple Crayon
Make Way for Ducklings
Mike Mulligan and his Steam Engine
The Little House
Where the Wild Things Are

I have an obsession--4,000 children's books at the moment, not to mention a constantly-rotating pile of 50 from the library (the limit we're allowed). So let me know if you want more ideas! Especially if you've got kids super interested in a particular topic, I can usually think of a good selection.

:-)
momofapreschooler 05:58 PM 09-15-2015
Infants, board books...Moo BaLaLa La, tumble bumble (by Felicia Bond), Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See (by Eric Carle), flip Flap Fly (by Phillis Root)

1 year olds Girrafes Can't Dance, Kiss the Cow, one foot two feet (by Peter Maloney) , the pout pout fish (by diesel & Hanna)

2 to 4 year olds...King Jack and the Dragon (by Peter bentley and Helen oxen bury) Stella a Treasury (by Marie Louise Gay), my first little house books by Laura Ingels Wilder, I broke my trunk (by mo willems), a sick day for Amos McGee (stead & stead), tea party rules (by ame dyckman)
Reply Up