Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Family Gave Me Notice ...
MarinaVanessa 10:36 AM 03-27-2010
So yesterday morning I was given notice that my dcb of 18 months will be leaving us for another daycare that charges $10 less a week than I do . Okay fine. It happens. Should I mention that she is my daughters' aunt on her father's side? I asked her where it was and she gave me the street name. Funny, I used to use a provider that lived on that street. In the end there really wasn't anything that I could say or wanted to say but I was hurt.

I immediately dragged out my wait list and the mom of the first infant on the list was excited. She wants in. We scheduled an interview for yesterday evening. After I spoke with her I let curiosity get the best of me and I called up my old dc provider (the one I thought was my old one) with the excuse that I just wanted to catch up and see how she was doing. During our conversation she mentioned that she was having a new parent with an 18 month old boy over later that afternoon to sign up that would start in two weeks . Okay so now I know for sure. I just had to smile to myself. See I left this provider becuase I was not happy. The kids don't do any activities, don't run on a schedule, don't have any rules, have free reign of the entire house and there is absolutely no discipline. The woman also watches spanish soaps all day. She's actually the reason why I decided to do daycare. I was however cordial when I left because her son and I are friends since high school and didn't want that to sour our friendship. So anyway, in a way it gave me happiness to know that the leaving family would not get the same care as here. Evil I know. So my potencial client came by yetsreday and she was very easy going and her baby was great. We scheduled an appointment for Monday to sign everything so she can start on 3/5. I know the dates overlap but I purposely leave a spot open since my hunny and I are trying for a baby of our own. So anyway I knew that the 18 month old would only be here until the 9th so I knew my spot would open up again anyway.

It's now just one day later after the other family gave me notice and I just got a call from her telling me that she went down to see the new provider and that the house was chaos and there were running children everywhere . "Didn't you interview her before you decided to sign up?" Apparently the provider met with her earlier in the week at a coffee shop for the interview ... ooooh so that's how she's convincing her clients lol. So turns out that she didn't sign up afterall and now she has no childcare after the 9th.

I told her that I had already filled her spot and that they would be starting the following monday after his last day of daycare. Now she's trying to convince me to let her keep the spot that I have reserved for our baby. Oh boy. Apparently it was very clear that I wasn't impressed and she even offered to keep the spot only until I actually needed it. Meaning that when I had a baby that she would go elsewhere. I said that I didn't know and that I would think about it and let her know next Monday. The more and more I think about it, the more and more I like the idea though. No one else was willing to take a spot that that they would have to give up later and an extra $175 a week would be nice. I don't know though. I am a little hurt.
momofboys 10:51 AM 03-27-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
So yesterday morning I was given notice that my dcb of 18 months will be leaving us for another daycare that charges $10 less a week than I do . Okay fine. It happens. Should I mention that she is my daughters' aunt on her father's side? I asked her where it was and she gave me the street name. Funny, I used to use a provider that lived on that street. In the end there really wasn't anything that I could say or wanted to say but I was hurt.

I immediately dragged out my wait list and the mom of the first infant on the list was excited. She wants in. We scheduled an interview for yesterday evening. After I spoke with her I let curiosity get the best of me and I called up my old dc provider (the one I thought was my old one) with the excuse that I just wanted to catch up and see how she was doing. During our conversation she mentioned that she was having a new parent with an 18 month old boy over later that afternoon to sign up that would start in two weeks . Okay so now I know for sure. I just had to smile to myself. See I left this provider becuase I was not happy. The kids don't do any activities, don't run on a schedule, don't have any rules, have free reign of the entire house and there is absolutely no discipline. The woman also watches spanish soaps all day. She's actually the reason why I decided to do daycare. I was however cordial when I left because her son and I are friends since high school and didn't want that to sour our friendship. So anyway, in a way it gave me happiness to know that the leaving family would not get the same care as here. Evil I know. So my potencial client came by yetsreday and she was very easy going and her baby was great. We scheduled an appointment for Monday to sign everything so she can start on 3/5. I know the dates overlap but I purposely leave a spot open since my hunny and I are trying for a baby of our own. So anyway I knew that the 18 month old would only be here until the 9th so I knew my spot would open up again anyway.

It's now just one day later after the other family gave me notice and I just got a call from her telling me that she went down to see the new provider and that the house was chaos and there were running children everywhere . "Didn't you interview her before you decided to sign up?" Apparently the provider met with her earlier in the week at a coffee shop for the interview ... ooooh so that's how she's convincing her clients lol. So turns out that she didn't sign up afterall and now she has no childcare after the 9th.

I told her that I had already filled her spot and that they would be starting the following monday after his last day of daycare. Now she's trying to convince me to let her keep the spot that I have reserved for our baby. Oh boy. Apparently it was very clear that I wasn't impressed and she even offered to keep the spot only until I actually needed it. Meaning that when I had a baby that she would go elsewhere. I said that I didn't know and that I would think about it and let her know next Monday. The more and more I think about it, the more and more I like the idea though. No one else was willing to take a spot that that they would have to give up later and an extra $175 a week would be nice. I don't know though. I am a little hurt.
I don't blame you for being hurt. Especially over $10. I'm shocked the parent would be so hasty to sign their child up without even seeing the environment!!! Anyway, I would think long & hard about it. IS it worth the extra money? Will you hold a grudge with this parent & their child since they did almost leave you for a cheaper rate?
misol 10:58 AM 03-27-2010
I can't believe that she was willing to jump ship and she hadn't even checked out the new place yet!!! That was dumb. I understand that in this economy people are trying to do everything they can to cut costs. But I would much rather cut out premium channels on my cable bill or cut back on eating out, etc. than to pull my child from a provider that I was happy with.

If you liked the family, I would take her up on her offer and allow her back only until you need the spot. Even though she tried to leave you for less money, you probably still get away with bumping up her rate up a couple of dollars. Tell her that whenever an old client leaves, the new clients come in at the higher rate and you will need to charge that or move on to the next person on your waiting list! She needs some consequences for her actions.

Do you think that the other woman will be able to put 2 and 2 together (your phone call and the new client canceling?)
MarinaVanessa 11:12 AM 03-27-2010
I know I know. That's exactly what I've been saying to myself. I am hurt because she's family. She may not be directly related to me but she's my daughter's aunt. I love her little boy and have always considered him to be my nephew. He's a great kid and all but I really did not see this coming. Out of nowhere yesterday she just comes and says "Here's my two-weeks notice." Literally all I could say was "Wow" and look at the note. I just had to ask her why and all she could say was that it would save her $500 bucks a year. The note itself was generic. Ugh ... What makes me angry is that she couldn't just come to me and say "Hey listen, I'm having trouble financially. I may need to start looking for childcare somewhere else" How hard is that? He's 18 months now and she'd only be paying the $175 for another six months then it automatically goes down to $165 anyway. If she forgot or something then I could have reminded her about that if she had come to me first.

... but then on the other hand. This is a business and I'm in it to make money. She pays $175 a week and if I amend her contract to say that she'll keep her spot until I have my own baby then I'd be making an extra $175 a week. I mean it's not like I'm pregnant or anything right now anyway. We just decided to try. If I were to get prego this month and have the baby in December I could make an extra $6,000. I've offered this spot to others will the knowledge that they would have to give it up if I have a baby but of course no one wants to do that so I use that slot as occasional drop-ins.

Originally Posted by misol:
Do you think that the other woman will be able to put 2 and 2 together (your phone call and the new client canceling?)
No, I don't think so. I didn't even bring it up. She was the one that offered the information. I asked how she was doing and how her daycare was going and she said that things had been going okay and that she even had someone going in later that day to sign up for daycare. I asked about her family and such and we talked about Easter too so that she wouldn't feel like I had another purpose for calling. Neither she or my 18 month cdm know that theres a connection between us. I've learned from parent's how to be sneaky lol
momma2girls 04:58 PM 03-27-2010
I had a family just leave me because the other stay at home Mom that they knew doesn't have a contract at all, so no rules!! HA!!!! I have had the little 4 yr. old for over a yr. also. They acted like no big deal, just rip their child out for no reason. It shows what kind of parents they are!!!!!!!!!!!!
boysx5 05:19 PM 03-27-2010
I love telling people like that sorry your spot has been filled I had one that did that said she wanted the infant spot but never brought the deposit and then I filled and was very excited to call and tell her sorry the spot is filled. I wouldn't take her back after she did that to you
momofsix 06:47 PM 03-27-2010
I can see why you're hurt, that was very thoughtless of her, but what comes around goes around!
I would take the child back. I REALLY like that you did not say yes right away though, and told her you'd get back to her! Let her sweat a little!
She might appreciate you more now that she's seen what else is out there. I think the parents that have good providers often times think that it's just normal and all providers are professionals, until they actually see something like your Aunt saw. Hopefully she learned a valuable lesson.
tymaboy 07:36 PM 03-27-2010
Be sure to make up a special contract just for her stating the agreement that she is terminated as soon as you need that spot.
MarinaVanessa 07:58 AM 03-28-2010
I know it just kicks me in the gut because she's family. I expect it from other family's because they're looking after their own best interest but when it's friends or family it's hard not to take it personal.

She called again yesterday but I didn't answer and she didn't leave a voicemail and I havn't called her back. I don't think I will until tomorrow like I had said. I'm going to stick to my guns on this at least but I'm leaning towards letting her keep the spot until I need it back. We don't need the money but how can I refuse extra income. I think the feeling of taking her money and then being able to take her spot whenever I want it is appealing to me because I feel like the power she took from me I'm getting back lol. Of course my fiance wants me to take the money. He told me to let her pay for our next vacation lol.

Originally Posted by momofsix:
I would take the child back. I REALLY like that you did not say yes right away though, and told her you'd get back to her! Let her sweat a little!
Yes, I have to admit it felt great to know that she's stressing out. It's awful I know but I don't get mad, I get even lol. Vindictive I know .

Originally Posted by tymaboy:
Be sure to make up a special contract just for her stating the agreement that she is terminated as soon as you need that spot.
Oh I deffinetely will. I'm thinking about how to write it though. I was thinking about not putting anything in there about her keeping the spot until I have the baby. Maybe like just saying that it's a temporary spot until I decide to terminate. I don't really know how to word it! What should it say?
momofboys 04:21 PM 03-28-2010

Oh I deffinetely will. I'm thinking about how to write it though. I was thinking about not putting anything in there about her keeping the spot until I have the baby. Maybe like just saying that it's a temporary spot until I decide to terminate. I don't really know how to word it! What should it say?
This is exactly how I would word it: "provider reserves the right to terminate your temporary spot at any time for any reason but will give you two week's notice regardless of the reason". Good luck! Hope it all works out for you!
MarinaVanessa 07:27 AM 03-29-2010
Thanks everyone for your opinions. So we decided to let her keep the spot temporarily until we need it back. Funny thing is that last night I took a prego test and it came out positive. I took another one early this morning and it also came out positive lol. Have to call and schedule an appointment today for sometime this week just to make sure. What I love about this whole thing is that I get to call her and tell her the great news. I think i'll say something along these lines"

"Hi ____. Well I thought about it and I decided that I'd like it if you kept the spot until I needed it. (her response) Yes I'm glad that you'll be staying for a while too. It's great. Want to know what else is great? I think I'm pregnant!"

You know, I think I'll call her right now actually. I was going to wait until she dropped off but I'll do it now. Oh and the new dcb that was going start next Monday started this morning. His mommy called me last night to see if this was okay and I was okay with it because she called to ASK! He's been here since 6am and he's been great. No seperation issues. He played for a bit and now he's taking a little nap. This is turning out to be great morning
AfterSchoolMom 08:24 AM 03-29-2010
CONGRATULATIONS, MarinaVanessa! Great news!
momma2girls 08:27 AM 03-29-2010
Originally Posted by marinavanessa:
thanks everyone for your opinions. So we decided to let her keep the spot temporarily until we need it back. Funny thing is that last night i took a prego test and it came out positive. I took another one early this morning and it also came out positive lol. Have to call and schedule an appointment today for sometime this week just to make sure. What i love about this whole thing is that i get to call her and tell her the great news. I think i'll say something along these lines"

"hi ____. Well i thought about it and i decided that i'd like it if you kept the spot until i needed it. (her response) yes i'm glad that you'll be staying for a while too. It's great. Want to know what else is great? I think i'm pregnant!"

you know, i think i'll call her right now actually. I was going to wait until she dropped off but i'll do it now. Oh and the new dcb that was going start next monday started this morning. His mommy called me last night to see if this was okay and i was okay with it because she called to ask! He's been here since 6am and he's been great. No seperation issues. He played for a bit and now he's taking a little nap. This is turning out to be great morning :d
congrats to you and your husband!!!!!!!
MarinaVanessa 08:40 AM 03-29-2010
Thanks everybody, really. I don't want to get my hopes up yet though since it is early and a few months back I tried one and it read positive (only took one) so I went in to take a test at the clinic and it was a false positive . Got my hopes up for nothing. This time I'll wait until I get a positive from the clinic before I get really excited.

As for the phone conversation it was great. Actually all I did was tell her that she could keep the spot until I needed it and she thanked and thanked me. She came shortly after to drop off her son and that's when I told her that I took a home prego test and that it was positive. The look on her face was classic. She came in happy, I told her, her face froze and then slowly you could see her cringe internally lol. Today is really turning out great. I told her not to worry because if I was actually prego she'd have all the way until December. Apparently she didn't think it was as great a news as I did . Now I'm glad that I agreed to let her stay (I decided before I peed on the stick) because I'll need that extra $ for when the baby comes (crossing fingers).
momofboys 09:13 AM 03-29-2010
Thanks everybody, really. I don't want to get my hopes up yet though since it is early and a few months back I tried one and it read positive (only took one) so I went in to take a test at the clinic and it was a false positive . Got my hopes up for nothing. This time I'll wait until I get a positive from the clinic before I get really excited.

As for the phone conversation it was great. Actually all I did was tell her that she could keep the spot until I needed it and she thanked and thanked me. She came shortly after to drop off her son and that's when I told her that I took a home prego test and that it was positive. The look on her face was classic. She came in happy, I told her, her face froze and then slowly you could see her cringe internally lol. Today is really turning out great. I told her not to worry because if I was actually prego she'd have all the way until December. Apparently she didn't think it was as great a news as I did . Now I'm glad that I agreed to let her stay (I decided before I peed on the stick) because I'll need that extra $ for when the baby comes (crossing fingers).
CONGRATS!!! I wish you the very best & am glad this works out for you. Now you can sock a little extra $$$ away for when your new little one arrives!
misol 11:02 AM 03-29-2010
Congratulations! So excited for you!!!
Daycare Mommy 12:46 PM 03-29-2010
Awesome! Congratulations!
Crystal 02:16 PM 03-29-2010
WooHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!

It may end up working out in the long run. Who knows, between now and december another client may move, or, well, ANYTHING can happen, and the client who tried to leave you may be able to keep the spot. In my experience, the ones who almost lose you as their provider are the ones who end up being the best client...they don't wanna take any chances
MarinaVanessa 06:55 AM 03-30-2010
Thats what I'm hoping for. That maybe someone else may move and she'll get to keep the spot and be more grateful from now on. But who knows. Or maybe I'll just expand and add an extra two more spots and keep 8 instead of the six that I have now. It's not too hard here I think. Just call licensing to notify them and then notify the rest of the parent's. I have my sister helping out part-time during the morning but I could see if she'd be willing to work more hours. Who knows. I have options.

As for the prego thing I went in to the clinic last night (thank god for late clinic nights) and yuppers, we're pregnant. I have a 5-year-old already but through a past relationship. This will be my fiance's first (we're not married but that's a story for another day). He's so excited, he came over this morning before he left for work and rubbed my belly (which has no bump whatsoever because it's obviously too early) and gave me a kiss goodby and said goodby to his "peanut". . Men.
misol 07:24 AM 03-30-2010
Thats what I'm hoping for. That maybe someone else may move and she'll get to keep the spot and be more grateful from now on. But who knows. Or maybe I'll just expand and add an extra two more spots and keep 8 instead of the six that I have now. It's not too hard here I think. Just call licensing to notify them and then notify the rest of the parent's. I have my sister helping out part-time during the morning but I could see if she'd be willing to work more hours. Who knows. I have options.

As for the prego thing I went in to the clinic last night (thank god for late clinic nights) and yuppers, we're pregnant. I have a 5-year-old already but through a past relationship. This will be my fiance's first (we're not married but that's a story for another day). He's so excited, he came over this morning before he left for work and rubbed my belly (which has no bump whatsoever because it's obviously too early) and gave me a kiss goodby and said goodby to his "peanut". . Men.
This is sooooo sweet!
MarinaVanessa 09:15 AM 03-31-2010
So the end of my little saga has come. I mentioned to my 18 month old dcm that in 6 months his rate will go down to $165 anyway due to his age. She was like "Oh". I just told her that if she would have talked to me about her concerns then I would have been able to tell her up front that her rate was going down anyway and she would have never had to waste her time looking for childcare elsewhere. I told her it was in her handbook and that she would've been able to look it up herself had she wanted to (if she would have read the darn thing in the first place when she first started like she's supposed to she would have known this but thats another gripe for another thread). I have NOT however told her about how I was thinking about expanding the daycare. I don't want her getting too comfy just yet and I havn't quite made a decision.
Tags:notice, terminate - accepting back, terminate - bad fit
Reply Up