Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is toddler formula okay for an 8 month old?
mommyneedsadayoff 11:06 AM 09-25-2015
This is the same mom who is a bit of a hypocondriach, thinking her baby has black eyes, when they are just tired eyes, a yeast infection when it is justa small diaper rash, and the newest one is she thinks she will cause hearing issues because the noise machine she uses is next to baby's crib

Anyway, I just noticed that the formula she brings me is toddler formula and it says safe for all ages but recommended for 12 months+ unless doctor approves it. It is an organic formula she buys onlie, so I never even paid attention, but just noticed it is toddler formula. Is that okay? I really don't want to make a big deal out of it, but she is also BF and complaining how upset she is that her supply is not keeping up, so I am a bit confused on why she would use toddler formula, verus infant formula, when she is already so particular about what baby eats/drinks. Any advice or can I just let this go and forget I ever say the label?
littletots 11:18 AM 09-25-2015
There was a recall on sound machines, guidance on use. She is right about article regarding hearing loss. Check Google. Under my license she would have to use or i would have to supply correct age formula.
Crazy8 11:19 AM 09-25-2015
May depend on the brand, I would probably do a little googling before I mentioned it to mom. Many say "formulated for a child over 12 months" so I'd say those are definitely toddler, if it says any ages it may be the same as infant formula. Nature's One says they market as toddler formula because they encourage breastfeeding up to age 1 but supposedly it is really the same as infant formula. So maybe research it a little bit first.
mommyneedsadayoff 11:24 AM 09-25-2015
I have read the study on noise machines and it is so misleading. I have not heard of any recalls on noise machines and unless you are putting earphones on the baby and cranking it up, they are fine.

Crazy8-It is nature's one, so that answers my question. She is not getting much BM though, so does that factor in? (nurses at morning and night, formula during day when here).
mommyneedsadayoff 12:03 PM 09-25-2015
Well, never mind! Mom just texted and she got laid off today, so I will no longer have baby anyway. So, yea...that sucks. Luckily, I have a two weeks notice in my contract, but since I mentioned it, she has not responded, so...yea
littletots 12:10 PM 09-25-2015
Oh, no. Gosh. I'm betting she thinking layoff equals no 2wk notice needed.
mommyneedsadayoff 02:10 PM 09-25-2015
She didn't want to pay it. Asked for lenianvy, because she didn't know she would be laid off. I said no (politely) so she sent dad for pick up. Luckily, he is super nice, paid me and thanked me, so I am sad to see dcg go, but glad it didn't get ugly.
SilverSabre25 08:02 AM 09-28-2015
This is why I like parents to send bottles with the formula premeasured or premade.... I'll add water, but I don't care what formula they use. Their baby their choice. Though honestly I've only ever had one formula baby in almost 6 years. .. everyone else has been pumped breastmilk or premature bottles that I don't know don't care if it's formula or breastmilk.
Blackcat31 08:13 AM 09-28-2015
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
She didn't want to pay it. Asked for lenianvy, because she didn't know she would be laid off. I said no (politely) so she sent dad for pick up. Luckily, he is super nice, paid me and thanked me, so I am sad to see dcg go, but glad it didn't get ugly.
...and in turn YOU did not know that you would be losing a client so not seeing how being lenient to HER is in anyway a compromise or benefit to anyone except her....
Blackcat31 08:15 AM 09-28-2015
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
This is why I like parents to send bottles with the formula premeasured or premade.... I'll add water, but I don't care what formula they use. Their baby their choice. Though honestly I've only ever had one formula baby in almost 6 years. .. everyone else has been pumped breastmilk or premature bottles that I don't know don't care if it's formula or breastmilk.
Nope.

I've heard all sorts of crazy things added to the bottles parents bring...

No way, would I allow that.

I require parents to bring 3 new in the box bottles to LEAVE at daycare the entire duration their child uses a bottle and to either bring frozen breast milk or a sealed can of formula (when needed) also to keep here until a new container is needed.

I would never just trust a parent to bring a pre-mixed bottle and ask me to serve it when I have NO idea what I would potentially be serving.

Sad that it has to be that way, but allowing pre-mixed would be way too risky for my comfort.
nannyde 08:26 AM 09-28-2015
No

It's for toddlers.
SilverSabre25 08:38 AM 09-28-2015
Yeah I know the stories... I've been around here for awhile. But there are issues on either side. Your way, you have to Chase the parents for formula AND diapers and you risk being yelled at fir using too much formula (just like diapers) and if the baby has issues you risk getting accused of making the bottles wrong. Plus the bother of sorting and washing bottles, neither if which I want to do.

I tried, for a couple years, to take the stricter road like you and all it did was lose me potential clients. NOT that formula is a thing I've dealt with much, as I said. It's been almost all breastfed babies and I can't control the breastmilk

I'm happier with my current, more laid back approach. Trying to be harsh and treat every like they're a criminal who knows nothing about kids didn't work for the population I pull from and made me super depressed and angry. It's been awhile if healing from that approach. It just didn't work here.

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Nope.

I've heard all sorts of crazy things added to the bottles parents bring...

No way, would I allow that.

I require parents to bring 3 new in the box bottles to LEAVE at daycare the entire duration their child uses a bottle and to either bring frozen breast milk or a sealed can of formula (when needed) also to keep here until a new container is needed.

I would never just trust a parent to bring a pre-mixed bottle and ask me to serve it when I have NO idea what I would potentially be serving.

Sad that it has to be that way, but allowing pre-mixed would be way too risky for my comfort.

mommyneedsadayoff 09:05 AM 09-28-2015
Just an update. Mom left me a message the next day and was mad because she was just realizing the frozen breastmilk was in the diaper bag all night. I told her that dad was told all her belongings, including the BM were packed up, since she never called/texted me back and since SHE said ti was her last day. She then said she may need to bring her a few days to get stuff done. I told her to let me know what days as we may plan a few outings for next week, because I have less kids now and it is one of the last weeks of nice weather around here. She never called back. We shall see if she actually comes or not, but I hope not. I am really over her rudeness. And btw, still not a single thank you or anything about giving great care to her baby. I mean, she got fired, so it is all about her now, right
Blackcat31 09:28 AM 09-28-2015
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Yeah I know the stories... I've been around here for awhile. But there are issues on either side. Your way, you have to Chase the parents for formula AND diapers and you risk being yelled at fir using too much formula (just like diapers) and if the baby has issues you risk getting accused of making the bottles wrong. Plus the bother of sorting and washing bottles, neither if which I want to do.

I tried, for a couple years, to take the stricter road like you and all it did was lose me potential clients. NOT that formula is a thing I've dealt with much, as I said. It's been almost all breastfed babies and I can't control the breastmilk

I'm happier with my current, more laid back approach. Trying to be harsh and treat every like they're a criminal who knows nothing about kids didn't work for the population I pull from and made me super depressed and angry. It's been awhile if healing from that approach. It just didn't work here.
lol! I know you've been around here a while and I know you are aware of the potential risks and liabilities and if it doesn't or didn't work for you, that's cool....we all do things in ways that work best for us/our clients/our areas but just to clear the air, I most certainly don't feel I am harsh with my clients and most definitely do not treat them as criminals.

My approach is based on liability and what could potentially happen so I choose to take the road that leaves BOTH parties feeling in control of their actions. None of my clients have ever had issue with that and most appreciate my ability to be upfront, factual and not accusatory in any way.
Reply Up