Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do I Have to Give Medication?
Unregistered 05:38 PM 10-20-2018
I usually don't give medication. I had a child was out for a bit and will have to take medications prescribed by a doctor. Do I have to give the medicine or can I term legally?
ZB4 06:32 PM 10-20-2018
I call myself a "well child " family child care. I don't give ANY MEDICATION unless it is for medical emergencies like an Epi-Pen for anaphylactic reactions. I don't care if they have a doctor note or prescription. If your child is sick keep them home, or arrange for the medication to be given before and after care.
hwichlaz 06:42 PM 10-20-2018
You don't HAVE to, unless it's an emergency med and necessary for saving life and limb. However, there are many kids that need regular medications that are NOT sick per say. So I'd encourage you to think it through. I have a little guy with epilepsy that needs medication every 6 hours around the clock to keep seizures to a minimum. He's not sick, he's disabled. His parents schedule them so that daycare only needs to give one dose, but it is definitely needed.

Things I'd consider when making the decision. How long is he going to need the meds? Will you lose good clients over this? Could this qualify as an ADA violation? I think that the last question depends on what the meds are for.
Blackcat31 07:45 AM 10-21-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I usually don't give medication. I had a child was out for a bit and will have to take medications prescribed by a doctor. Do I have to give the medicine or can I term legally?
3x per day CAN be done by the parent at home in most cases.

If not, an alternate option is to ask parent to stop by and dispense themselves.

I do NOT dispense meds other than life-saving or daily required meds similar to what hwichlaz said
Ariana 03:34 PM 10-21-2018
I give meds and have a permission slip for it. I have only ever had to give antibiotics but even most antibiotics can be done by parents at home every 12 hours. It depends on what you are comfortable with.
littlefriends 04:31 AM 10-22-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I give meds and have a permission slip for it. I have only ever had to give antibiotics but even most antibiotics can be done by parents at home every 12 hours. It depends on what you are comfortable with.
Same here. I have a permission slip they give me and all of mine know I don’t give anything without permission first. I have one with pretty bad allergies and another that has chronic ear infections. Both families are great and I would definitely not want to lose them!
nannyde 04:37 AM 10-22-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Is this a nebulizer treatment?
Snowmom 06:24 AM 10-22-2018
I don't give medications unless it's a life saving measure with a dr's diagnosis and directive on file.

There is too much liability associated with giving a child medication and it's not something I'm willing to take on.
redmaple 06:50 AM 10-22-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:

Have you checked with your insurance provider? I'm also in Ontario and my insurance provider told me not to provide any medication, not even Tylenol. There is zero liability coverage for administrating medication, even with a prescription and permission slip. They double checked with their underwriters to confirm.
Tags:medication - administering, medication - policy
Reply Up