Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Feeling Discouraged...
KEG123 08:20 AM 01-21-2011
So through my CL ad I've had numerous inquiries, but nothing has ever followed through. I'm wondering if this is because I'm telling them my rates when I ask and they find something cheaper, or something? I don't know. I had one more e-mail today, but I'm just getting down that nobody has even come over for an interview. Granted, it's only been 2 weeks or so since I've been advertising, but still.

Another reason why I partially feel discouraged is because last night I went to an information session on how to get a child care grant, and I would like to use the money for a fence. Well I talked to the lady after the class and explained how I have no children currently, but would like to get a fence and if it was ok I still applied. She looked uncertain and basically said "Well, hopefully you get some kids" Pf... thanks. I'm trying I'm trying!! But basically, the first day to accept applications is FEB 1st, last day feb 28. So technically I have almost a month and a half to get at least one kid in, so I can have a better chance at getting the grant, but then again they also said the sooner you get the application in, the more likely you are to get it....

BLAH!
MarinaVanessa 10:49 AM 01-21-2011
I had a hard time getting my first client also but let's face it, no one wants their kid to be the first kid in a new family daycare home. You know what I did? I cheated. Yes that's right. I cheated ... a little bit. I offered my SIL free childcare a few days a week in exchange for free childcare (bartering) for my own daughter and when people called and asked if I had other daycare children I told them that I had 2 PT kids. The very first person that I told this to scheduled an interview with me. It was on a day that I did not have my nephews and I just said that it wasn't one of their days and I signed them within the first 30 minutes. Technically it wasn't lying because I did care for them 3 days a week, I just didn't get paid in currency for it. Getting more clients after that was much easier. Sometimes you just have to get creative.

If you don't have family that you can care for then try making a website with pictures of your home and good discriptions of your program. Make a list of the benefits of your daycare and take over the entire phone interview by just talking about all of the wonderful things that you have to offer. The way you word things can really influence their opinions of you and your daycare.

"Our daycare is near an abundance of school's and parks and we frequently take nature walks to them to learn about our neighborhood and community"
sounds a lot better than just saying
"We walk to the park sometimes"

Keep that list of perks and benefits near your phone along with a note pad and make sure you ask lots of questions about their child like age, sex, likes, dislikes, favorites etc. This makes the parent feel like you are interested in the child as an individual. If you ask about what their favorite thing to do is and they say the child likes to read say something like "Oh that's wonderful! We LOVE to read here so [child] will love it here!" etc.

A little trick I like to use is to always assume that they ARE going to sign up. I say things like "When you sign-up ...", "When your child comes ..", "When you come to see the daycare you will see that ..." etc. and sound very excited and friendly. Smile while you are talking to them on the phone, your voice will sound friendlier. You just have to charm them into wanting to come to your DC. Make them curious.

Don't worry too much, you'll get a client soon just keep at it. Remember that if you worry about something now (like not getting the grant) before it actually happens you'll only worry about it twice. Worry about it when it actually happens. Good luck and keep us posted about how you do and when you get your first client .
Abigail 11:03 AM 01-21-2011
Do you want to share your CL ad and we could help tune it up?
KEG123 11:59 AM 01-21-2011
CL
http://quadcities.craigslist.org/kid/2167231627.html

Website
http://kidegarden.weebly.com/index.html

I've got a mom calling this evening about care for her 4 1/2 month old.... fingers crossed!
VanessaEO 12:18 PM 01-21-2011
I agree that its hard to get that first family to sign up.

Along with that, what I'll say is that your CL ad talks a lot about what you *will* do.... rather than what you *do*.

So instead of "I plan to do many activities geared towards preschool aged children" you say: My curriculum/schedule includes many activities geared towards....

I would leave OUT the part about your daughter. But that's just me.

Also, in my area its much harder to find care for the under 2 crowd - so you might want to target advertise to infants to get your *first* client. KWIM?
KEG123 01:10 PM 01-21-2011
Originally Posted by VanessaEO:
I agree that its hard to get that first family to sign up.

Along with that, what I'll say is that your CL ad talks a lot about what you *will* do.... rather than what you *do*.

So instead of "I plan to do many activities geared towards preschool aged children" you say: My curriculum/schedule includes many activities geared towards....

I would leave OUT the part about your daughter. But that's just me.

Also, in my area its much harder to find care for the under 2 crowd - so you might want to target advertise to infants to get your *first* client. KWIM?
Thanks I'll try some of that.

Oh and it's my son, not daughter. :P
VanessaEO 02:41 PM 01-21-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
Thanks I'll try some of that.

Oh and it's my son, not daughter. :P
LOL. I have a 3 year old daughter. I must have just ASSumed! Sorry about that!
KEG123 02:51 PM 01-21-2011
Originally Posted by VanessaEO:
LOL. I have a 3 year old daughter. I must have just ASSumed! Sorry about that!
No problemo. I talked on the phone with a lady today who is debating on pulling her infant from a center because, primarily, of the cost being so high to have both her children there. I told her my thoughts on infants in centers, and she said she has to talk to her hubbyman, and if they decided to interview, it would have to be next wednesday when they have a mutual day off.

So now I'm gonna be over here chomping on my finger nails waiting.

But I did send her a link to my webpage, because I didn't feel comfortable directly posting the url on CL.
robinsoninfl 11:01 AM 01-22-2011
I would suggest adding a couple photos to your craigslist ad maybe of your play area. I had to remove my listing because I filled up so quickly. But when I first got my license it took about a month before I got my first client. He doesn't even start for another 5 weeks as of now. Then another month before I heard anything further. However once I posted my listening with the photos of my play room which is very appealing I started getting calls and emails like crazy. 2 weeks later I'm at capacity!!
Tags:advertise, filling spots, interview, rates
Reply Up