Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So Tired Of This Battle!! EATING!
wahmof3 12:07 PM 01-24-2013
I participate in the food program and I know that all I am required to do is offer the DCK food.

So every single day I fix wholesome foods. They have healthy meals and I even try to get creative and prepare foods they are "used to". Like today we had cheese quesadillas, a veggie, a fruit and milk. I threw most of it out. Same story everyday.

I can't stand the fact that these kids refuse to eat for me and know that snacks are waiting in the car when they get picked up.

Today I gave carrot sticks and light ranch dip for snack. Pretty sure I will be throwing it away.

I feel these kids are so hungry but I am tired of them not eating and then come afternoon snack they inhale graham crackers, goldfish, or animal crackers.

I am done. I want to stop offering the crackers and cookies and only offer the healthy option.

Ugh. Thanks for the vent.
wdmmom 12:13 PM 01-24-2013
Sounds like you have a group of bread eaters.

If they are inhaling graham crackers, goldfish and animal crackers, change it up. Offer fruits and veggies. No sweets or bread products.

They'll soon realize that not eating lunch will only net them a boring snack too. If they're hungry enough, they'll eat!

If you don't like throwing as much food away, try offering smaller portions and give them more if they want.
daycare 12:14 PM 01-24-2013
here is what I have had to do.

i am also on the food program

I offer everything in sections.

veggie first and I wait for them to finish. I make two types. I also make sure I have a least one out of the two that I know the kids like to eat.

If I know johnny does not like carrots, then I will give him the cucumbers.

My rule is you have to try it once and swallow it before you can have your next item

I then serve the protein. same rule

grain next, same rule try it

then i give them the fruit

last their drink.

If they chose not to eat any of it, then that is their choice and we throw it away. Either way, it's going away. away in their tummy or away in the trash. I have just learned to accept this.

I have some that will scream at the site of the food, I count in my head to 25 if the don't stop, I say looks like you are too tired to eat, the plate goes up and they lay down...

Next
providerandmomof4 12:21 PM 01-24-2013
This post could've been mine...I really feel you. What are you going to do though when the parents feed them fast food every night. Here's a perfect example of what I deal with on a daily basis. Me: Little Johnny didn't eat anything today except his fruit. It's like this most days...any suggestions on some of his favorite healthy foods? Dcm: Oh ya know what...if it was'nt for Taco Bell the kid would probably never eat....you know those tortilla/cheese rollups? That's about all I can ever get him to eat...hehe........

Really?! This is what I deal with and this is why they won't eat. The other day I had one of my dcb's who refused his bananas because I sliced them.Ugh!
wahmof3 12:26 PM 01-24-2013
I will be trying both of these!!

I have one who won't eat any fruit except applesauce (I have even pureed other fruit to applesauce consistency no luck ) and will not eat any veggies. I even do the one bite rule. Then on occasion DCM asks how he is eating and that he is always starving when he gets home. Well I am sure he is!

I have one who drinks a ton of milk. DCM brings a huge sippy. I have been putting it in the fridge and offering my own cups and giving DCK his cup back when he leaves. Still won't eat.
daycare 12:29 PM 01-24-2013
here is the thing.....kids will eat when they are hungry.... they may go all day and wait for that TB or MCD, let them. This is one battle you will never win and only stress yourself out more.

I have a dck that will not eat 90% of the day. I don't battle him. The only meal he ever eats is last PM snack, because by that point he is starving.

we can say all we want to the parents until we are blue in the face, but that won't do anything but give you a funny looking face....
daycare 12:30 PM 01-24-2013
BTW i will not serve cookie or cracker EVER not on my meal plan....it does take kids awhile to adjust, but they do fine without it here
wahmof3 12:37 PM 01-24-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
BTW i will not serve cookie or cracker EVER not on my meal plan....it does take kids awhile to adjust, but they do fine without it here
This is what I will be doing! Thanks!
Oneluckymom 12:40 PM 01-24-2013
What do you give them instead of a cracker? Since we are "supposed " to offer a grain.

Just curious because I have also run into this problem. Min
My 2 toddlers won't eat meat...almost anything with meat. One won't any veggies. Bread and fruit is always gone first. My infant 16mo won't even touch ANY fruit or veggies....it's all carbs for her.
Country Kids 12:44 PM 01-24-2013
This is what I was thinking. Kids don't need a bread at every meal. Also, crackers are extremely bad for you teeth also per my dentist. Said they are so sticky and just sit on you teeth. Pretty much like candy!

I also read an article about how Americans eat all the time. We really don't need 2-3 snacks a day. Alot of countries eat 3 square meals a day, get their calories in and move on. Its funny because kids don't get two snacks during the day in school (I know still obesity rate it high) but when they get home they load up on bad foods not healthy ones. Then they eat a couple hours late on bad foods again.

If we ate 3 good meals a day it would be enough for our bodies.

Whoops-didn't realize what a detour I was taking.

Anyway no carbs at each meal-just lots of fruits, veggies, water, milk, protein and they should be good to go!
daycare 12:46 PM 01-24-2013
I make home made breads using agave. all fresh ingredients

I will serve flax crackers, but the kids really don't like them unless I give them hummus.

I also serve pita bread, brown rice, wheat pasta, hmmm you have my brain hurting....hgahahah I will list more
daycare 12:49 PM 01-24-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
This is what I was thinking. Kids don't need a bread at every meal. Also, crackers are extremely bad for you teeth also per my dentist. Said they are so sticky and just sit on you teeth. Pretty much like candy!

I also read an article about how Americans eat all the time. We really don't need 2-3 snacks a day. Alot of countries eat 3 square meals a day, get their calories in and move on. Its funny because kids don't get two snacks during the day in school (I know still obesity rate it high) but when they get home they load up on bad foods not healthy ones. Then they eat a couple hours late on bad foods again.

If we ate 3 good meals a day it would be enough for our bodies.

Whoops-didn't realize what a detour I was taking.

Anyway no carbs at each meal-just lots of fruits, veggies, water, milk, protein and they should be good to go!
for kids this rule is different because their stomachs are smaller......and it is healthy to eat about every 3 hours so taht your body does not go inot starvation mode.

BUT I do agree with what you are saying I do think Americans (most) eat wayyyyyyyy to much

also wanted to add, just think about how active children are too, the ones that are more active will burn their calories faster therefor needing to eat sooner than an adult. well that is if you are not acting like a hyper child that is....lol
daycare 12:53 PM 01-24-2013
all of the parents ask me how in the world do you get my kids to eat this stuff.

my DCKs eat brown rice seaweed wraps A LOT??

Most kids need many times of seeing, smelling, and tasting a food before they learn to like it. So I serve it often and get them to try it each time. If they don't like it after trying it, then I let them throw it away.

Don't make a big deal out it
wahmof3 01:01 PM 01-24-2013
Here is a funny:

So I have a SA come in this afternoon sit at the table and I handed him the carrot sticks and dip.

A few moments later he has his hands on his head and says he doesn't feel good.

I take his temp. bc there is so much crap going around and he is normal.

I ask him what hurts and he says I don't know.

I ask your head? your belly?

No, no. I just don't like carrots.
daycare 01:02 PM 01-24-2013
Originally Posted by wahmof3:
Here is a funny:

So I have a SA come in this afternoon sit at the table and I handed him the carrot sticks and dip.

A few moments later he has his hands on his head and says he doesn't feel good.

I take his temp. bc there is so much crap going around and he is normal.

I ask him what hurts and he says I don't know.

I ask your head? your belly?

No, no. I just don't like carrots.
my response would be how do you know this? have you ever tried them at my house?
wahmof3 01:05 PM 01-24-2013
all of the parents ask me how in the world do you get my kids to eat this stuff.

my DCKs eat brown rice seaweed wraps A LOT??

Most kids need many times of seeing, smelling, and tasting a food before they learn to like it. So I serve it often and get them to try it each time. If they don't like it after trying it, then I let them throw it away.

Don't make a big deal out it
My own kids "crave" the healthy stuff. They LOVE kale chips and some vegan recipes I make. We eat out too, but not a whole lot. In fact my kids get upset when I say lets go to TB.

Yet another reason I have a hard time with kids that won't eat for me
Country Kids 01:09 PM 01-24-2013
for kids this rule is different because their stomachs are smaller......and it is healthy to eat about every 3 hours so taht your body does not go inot starvation mode.

BUT I do agree with what you are saying I do think Americans (most) eat wayyyyyyyy to much

also wanted to add, just think about how active children are too, the ones that are more active will burn their calories faster therefor needing to eat sooner than an adult. well that is if you are not acting like a hyper child that is....lol
I honestly believe though there isn't enough time between breakfast and lunch for a snack. In my eyes its either you serve snack or you serve lunch not both.

Also, mine are sometimes not hungry for an afternoon snack because of still be full from lunch and they have only napped in those 2-3 hours. So you either let them eat a later snack and screw up dinner or just have them wait till dinner.

Also, if you don't fill kids up with carbs they won't be as hungry as often either because they haven't burned off the bad carbs as fast. For breakfast we had oatmeal/applesauce/banana and mine didn't even finsh because they were getting filled up and didn't want to feel stuffed before school. I knew though that it would stick to the ribs till lunch!
daycare 01:09 PM 01-24-2013
My own kids "crave" the healthy stuff. They LOVE kale chips and some vegan recipes I make. We eat out too, but not a whole lot. In fact my kids get upset when I say lets go to TB.

Yet another reason I have a hard time with kids that won't eat for me
OMG I Love kale one of my most favs...

Another thing I do is I cook with the kids at least 2x a week. We will get online and look at food. BOth healthy choices and not healthy. Together we decide which one is healthy and together as a class we make it. Of course I assit 100% of it and then we have it for afternoon snack. Or if we can do it right after circle time, we sometimes have it for am snack or lunch.

a fun easy one:

plain yogurt or greek

offer:
real vanilla
agave
cinnamon
blue berries or dif fresh fruit (let the kids decide on everything and help them to add)

as we are doing this we sing: first you get the _________and you mix it youy mix it. It helps alot if your a huge dork like me....

I get everyone of the kids to eat it like this.....
daycare 01:11 PM 01-24-2013
I honestly believe though there isn't enough time between breakfast and lunch for a snack. In my eyes its either you serve snack or you serve lunch not both.

Also, mine are sometimes not hungry for an afternoon snack because of still be full from lunch and they have only napped in those 2-3 hours. So you either let them eat a later snack and screw up dinner or just have them wait till dinner.

Also, if you don't fill kids up with carbs they won't be as hungry as often either because they haven't burned off the bad carbs as fast. For breakfast we had oatmeal/applesauce/banana and mine didn't even finsh because they were getting filled up and didn't want to feel stuffed before school. I knew though that it would stick to the ribs till lunch!
yes and no....it all depends on your eating schedule. But I do think that am snack and lunch are too close together.

we eat at 745 am breakfast
1030 am snack which I make small

1230 lunch

ALl of my full time kids have gotten used to eating this schedule. It also helps alot if you follow the amounts that you are supposed to serve based on age.
MamaBearCanada 01:14 PM 01-24-2013
Can you mix the fruit/veg and grains together more so they can't just eat the grain?

Eg. Healthy pancake mix with a fruit/veg serving mixed in with the batter?
Banana rolled in crushed plain Cheerios
Puréed fruit as 'jam' on their bread?
Whole wheat tortillas with cream cheese & fruit rolled up inside?
Could you make your own 'Lunchables' (I would never served the actual stuff)?

Other than that keep offering that's all you can do.
daycare 01:18 PM 01-24-2013
I was told NO you can;t do this. The reason is is that you can not actually account for the amount of serving of fruit that you are giving them.

so if you add it in the batter one kid may get 1/3 or 1/4, but the serving says 1/2. Trust me I tried that one with my food lady and she told me no.
Country Kids 01:18 PM 01-24-2013
yes and no....it all depends on your eating schedule. But I do think that am snack and lunch are too close together.

we eat at 745 am breakfast
1030 am snack which I make small

1230 lunch

ALl of my full time kids have gotten used to eating this schedule. It also helps alot if you follow the amounts that you are supposed to serve based on age.
That used to be my eating schedule-threw out tons and tons of food at lunch. They weren't hungry for it.

Took at morning snack and know they eagerly come to lunch asking what we are having and 9 times out of 10 every one ends with a clean plate-
daycare 01:20 PM 01-24-2013
That used to be my eating schedule-threw out tons and tons of food at lunch. They weren't hungry for it.

Took at morning snack and know they eagerly come to lunch asking what we are having and 9 times out of 10 every one ends with a clean plate-
if the food program would let me take out the am snack I would throw it out like yesterday......lol
Country Kids 01:29 PM 01-24-2013
if the food program would let me take out the am snack I would throw it out like yesterday......lol
Mine didn't care as I still serve breakfast/lunch/pm snack. They don't really say what we meals we can/can't serve here.

Another weird difference with the food program!
daycare 01:31 PM 01-24-2013
Mine didn't care as I still serve breakfast/lunch/pm snack. They don't really say what we meals we can/can't serve here.

Another weird difference with the food program!
maybe I can and I have just never asked......?????
Blackcat31 01:35 PM 01-24-2013
Meal struggles are something I do NOT participate in.

I serve healthy well balanced meals.

The kids eat or they don't.

I place all the meal components on their plates. The kids choose what they are going to eat.

I don't allow seconds in anything unless the entire plate is clean.

I NEVER insist, force or make kids taste or take a thank-you bite.

For snacks I only serve veggies. I don't offer fruit for snacks except on a rare occassion.

Usually for lunch I will include two vegetables instead of 1 veggie and 1 fruit.

If I toss food (which is rare here, thank goodness) I don't stress about it.

It is what it is and whether the food is eaten or tossed still nets the same results. Someone gets full. Most times, it is the DCK's but sometimes it is the garbage can.
Country Kids 01:48 PM 01-24-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Meal struggles are something I do NOT participate in.

I serve healthy well balanced meals.

The kids eat or they don't.

I place all the meal components on their plates. The kids choose what they are going to eat.

I don't allow seconds in anything unless the entire plate is clean.

I NEVER insist, force or make kids taste or take a thank-you bite.

For snacks I only serve veggies. I don't offer fruit for snacks except on a rare occassion.

Usually for lunch I will include two vegetables instead of 1 veggie and 1 fruit.

If I toss food (which is rare here, thank goodness) I don't stress about it.

It is what it is and whether the food is eaten or tossed still nets the same results. Someone gets full. Most times, it is the DCK's but sometimes it is the garbage can.
Why never fruit? Aren't they just as necessary as a vegetable. Also, I know if a child isn't getting vegetables at home they more then likely aren't going to be getting fruits.

I actually have had children that wouldn't eat fruit because they had NEVER had them. I don't count serving applesauce as a way of saying your child eats fruits.
daycare 01:53 PM 01-24-2013
OMG the other day I was in line at the local grocery store. a lady in front of me had 3 kids in her cart. her child that was in the top part of the cart kept poking at all of my stuff on the counter. He was about 3-4 years old. He kept poking at my bags of fruit. Asking his mom whats that, pointing at the apples, then oranges, carrots, and so on.

I look to see what they have.....chips, soda, cookies, noodle packs, can meats, can soups, can meatballs, etc etc. I look at the boy and said would you like to have one of my oranges. His eyes got soooo big and he looked at his mom and she says no, you wont like that I bought you cookies....

UGHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Part of me wanted to smack that mom....lol
Country Kids 02:14 PM 01-24-2013
OMG the other day I was in line at the local grocery store. a lady in front of me had 3 kids in her cart. her child that was in the top part of the cart kept poking at all of my stuff on the counter. He was about 3-4 years old. He kept poking at my bags of fruit. Asking his mom whats that, pointing at the apples, then oranges, carrots, and so on.

I look to see what they have.....chips, soda, cookies, noodle packs, can meats, can soups, can meatballs, etc etc. I look at the boy and said would you like to have one of my oranges. His eyes got soooo big and he looked at his mom and she says no, you wont like that I bought you cookies....

Thats what I mean-if we don't give it to them who will?

I will deprive them of the junk but never the healthy!!!

I want them to know (especially when things are in season) that fruit and veggies DO NOT come from can!!!

So here is another big question, if anyone can answer: Do other cultures eat alot of fruit/veggies???? Is it maiinly meat and grains?

A friend and I were talking about if Hispanic people eat only veggies (actually mainly grains) but not real fruit and vegies? My husbands family is hispanic and I don't think they really ever ate alot of fruit/veggies while growing up. When I'm in the store the Hispanics always have alot of produce but not fruit/veggies.

Is it mainly an American thing?
daycare 02:22 PM 01-24-2013
Thats what I mean-if we don't give it to them who will?

I will deprive them of the junk but never the healthy!!!

I want them to know (especially when things are in season) that fruit and veggies DO NOT come from can!!!

So here is another big question, if anyone can answer: Do other cultures eat alot of fruit/veggies???? Is it maiinly meat and grains?

A friend and I were talking about if Hispanic people eat only veggies (actually mainly grains) but not real fruit and vegies? My husbands family is hispanic and I don't think they really ever ate alot of fruit/veggies while growing up. When I'm in the store the Hispanics always have alot of produce but not fruit/veggies.

Is it mainly an American thing?
I cant say that it is.. I ate tons of fruit that was available to me as a child growing up in my home county. It may have to do with parent preference.

I will say that here I get a larger variety of fruits that I did as a child. I am sure that has a lot to do with the agricultural laws that they have in the states. I used to farm on my uncles farm as a child.

Also I ate a lot of fish growing up
Blackcat31 02:41 PM 01-24-2013
Why never fruit? Aren't they just as necessary as a vegetable. Also, I know if a child isn't getting vegetables at home they more then likely aren't going to be getting fruits.

I actually have had children that wouldn't eat fruit because they had NEVER had them. I don't count serving applesauce as a way of saying your child eats fruits.
I stress the veggies more than fruit because even though fruit is still a vital part of a healthy balanced meal, veggies are much more nutritious and beneficial and most kids who are picky eaters, will eat fruits before they eat veggies.

Most my daycare parents will say that fruits aren't the issue...it's veggies. So I double up on those.

Fruits although healthy also contain sugar so I try to steer clear of them and let parents deal with that part.

NOT saying I never serve fruit. I do, I just push veggies 100x more.
daycare 02:52 PM 01-24-2013
I stress the veggies more than fruit because even though fruit is still a vital part of a healthy balanced meal, veggies are much more nutritious and beneficial and most kids who are picky eaters, will eat fruits before they eat veggies.

Most my daycare parents will say that fruits aren't the issue...it's veggies. So I double up on those.

Fruits although healthy also contain sugar so I try to steer clear of them and let parents deal with that part.

NOT saying I never serve fruit. I do, I just push veggies 100x more.
vegtables contain sugar too.....carrots my fav are very high in sugar
daycare 02:53 PM 01-24-2013
but again these are natural sugars
Blackcat31 02:53 PM 01-24-2013
Yeah, but not enough that I am overly concerned about it.

If you look closely at the list of fat burning foods, you will see that there are more vegetables than fruit on that list. In addition, going over the list of high fiber foods, reveals that vegetables dominate that list as well. So, if you are interested in losing weight, I guess you can say that vegetables are better for you than fruit.

As it turns out, however, vegetables excel in one more area. New research has found that vegetables – not fruit – might help fight the memory problems that many people face in old age. The study, conducted at the Rush Institute for Healthy Aging in Chicago, involved 1,946 people aged 65 and over who answered surveys about their eating habits. They were also given several mental functioning tests over a course of six years.

Those who took in at least two servings of vegetables a day showed 40 percent less mental deterioration than those who consumed few or no vegetables. Leafy greens like spinach, kale and collards seem to be the most advantageous, says lead author Martha Clare Morris. These veggies contain an abundance of vitamin E, the key vitamin that prevents free radicals from damaging our cells. (http://ifitandhealthy.com/vegetables...er-than-fruit/)
daycare 02:57 PM 01-24-2013
Yeah, but not enough that I am overly concerned about it.

Some fruits are las sweet as candy. Never heard anyone relate veggies to candy like they do fruit.
very true but there a lot of fruits low in sugar too.....

also the thing that I find is that with fruits you don't need to pair anything to eat it. salt butter, or spreads

with veggies most people ruin the healthy part of them becuase they add salt, butter, spreads, cheese. Veggies are not as tasty as fruit for most peoples palet without the additives...

grapes and cheeries are two of the highest fruits in sugars, but berries are less

unless you are on a strict weight loss diet, I see both of them being equally important......
Country Kids 03:07 PM 01-24-2013
I figure that people ate both fine before the issue with processed foods! I think we could still eat them with no problem if we stuck to them for our sugars and not introducing all the other sweets into our lives.

Your body is meant to break down natural sugars-not artificial ones-
Michael 04:06 PM 01-24-2013
I make home made breads using agave. all fresh ingredients

I will serve flax crackers, but the kids really don't like them unless I give them hummus.

I also serve pita bread, brown rice, wheat pasta, hmmm you have my brain hurting....hgahahah I will list more
This all sounds very good.
laundrymom 04:17 PM 01-24-2013
I serve 'snack' @ 9. The kids call it breakfast.
I serve lunch @ 1230.
I serve dinner @ 4.
LK5kids 08:25 PM 01-24-2013
I have two unusual 2 yr. olds. They love the veggies the best and gobble them up first. I use steamed frozen over canned.

They both come from families who are into " health" food.

I have had some picky eaters, and yes it is hard to throw away food.
I am back doing child care after years away. I may end up re- thinking this whole food, as much organic, strive to offer fresh food thing if I end up throwing lots of food away!

Kids are also feed fewer home cooked meals than years ago. There was some local Facebook chatter about how awful it is that the local school lunch program has begun offering all that healthy crap, their kids won't eat it and are now starving.
Never thought I'd hear parents complain about too healthy of food at school.

I am in the minority and serve am snack. I have never had much problem with them being too full for lunch.

B-8:00
Am snack-10:00
l-12:00
PM snack3:00
snips&snails 11:29 PM 01-24-2013
We eat only whole grains, & after we use up the big box of Ritz cracker they are gone from my house. I started eating "clean" foods (unprocessed, whole grains etc) & I want to feed my child the same way; since he eats 2 meals & 2 snacks a day with the dcks they have to eat healthy too!

I have been lucky in that only one of my dcks is a picky eater so far, the others eat 2nds & 3rds of anything I offer! I am sort of a hardass about the food issue though - if you are hungry you will eat I serve family-style, they get some of each food on their plate bUT I do not give seconds of anything until they have eaten the majority of what they have been served.

Also if it's a new or less popular food I start out with small servings so that I can save the leftovers instead of wasting them

I pretty much feed as much as they want to eat during breakfast & lunch but snacks I am stricter on - I give them a fair serving & tell them "it's a snack, not a meal" - they learn pretty quickly.

It is so hard to get kids to eat healthy when they eat junk & fast food at home - but it is also so important!
canadiancare 03:06 AM 01-25-2013
Getting your head around the 'in their tummies" or "in the trash" = same difference is one of the biggest milestones to make with this battle. Once I did the stress was pretty well gone from mealtimes. I still feel myself get resentful when the parents offer them a snack to drive 3 minutes (really!) home at the end of the day because I know some kids just bide their time but in the end it doesn't affect me.

I have tried telling parents that we are working on delay of gratification to see if they would stop bringing snacks but they just reply that it makes the drive home more pleasant. I guess after 10 hours apart they would rather the sound in the car is the crunching of goldfish than their child's chatter.
Jewels 05:04 AM 01-25-2013
I will never make food a battle, I say just let it go, I don't care one bit what the kids eat and don't eat, I serve what I serve, kids bodies will eat what they need, and I don't think they need a whole lot, my pediatrician always told me kids eat one big meal a day usually, I serve breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack, and then Dinner for my own kids, no one can have more of anything unless they finish everything, but they never have to eat, they do need to try 1 bite though, but then they can toss if and wash up and be done and wait for snack, I serve very healthy food and snacks, no cookies. I would never make a kid eat one course to get the next I think thats mean sorry, yeah they need their vegetables, but they need the protein and vitamins and grains and dairy from everything else also. I grew up with the father that made me clear my plate before I could leave the table, and those hours i spent sitting there I will never forget, I hated scalloped potatoes then and I still do now, and forcing me to eat them never changed that.
Jewels 05:08 AM 01-25-2013
duplicate
Jewels 05:10 AM 01-25-2013
Originally Posted by snips&snails:
We eat only whole grains, & after we use up the big box of Ritz cracker they are gone from my house. I started eating "clean" foods (unprocessed, whole grains etc) & I want to feed my child the same way; since he eats 2 meals & 2 snacks a day with the dcks they have to eat healthy too!

I have been lucky in that only one of my dcks is a picky eater so far, the others eat 2nds & 3rds of anything I offer! I am sort of a hardass about the food issue though - if you are hungry you will eat I serve family-style, they get some of each food on their plate bUT I do not give seconds of anything until they have eaten the majority of what they have been served.

Also if it's a new or less popular food I start out with small servings so that I can save the leftovers instead of wasting them

I pretty much feed as much as they want to eat during breakfast & lunch but snacks I am stricter on - I give them a fair serving & tell them "it's a snack, not a meal" - they learn pretty quickly.

It is so hard to get kids to eat healthy when they eat junk & fast food at home - but it is also so important!

I say the same thing for snack, its just that a snack, no seconds, unless of course you want more veggies, they can always have more veggies!
countrymom 06:34 AM 01-25-2013
I'm going to post in the other forum so only we can view it, but it happened yesterday
wahmof3 06:48 AM 01-25-2013
So I have been thinking about my eating situation....

Here is my conclusion (so far)

wdmmom- I think you are right on with the bread eaters!

I don't really have a problem with breakfast. Typical breakfast is: (with fruit-that they don't eat & milk)

pancakes
cereal
nutri-grain bars
waffles
toast
french toast....

you see where I am going with this. I do have a bunch of bread eaters!!

Lunch time we don't have the breads/carbs.

Hmmmm....... interesting.
My3cents 07:18 AM 01-25-2013

I agree with you on not enough time between breakfast and lunch to do snack, but afternoon snack works for me. We do it after all the kids wake up and diaper and bathroom. I don't offer a big snack, just a small snack to get them to dinner. Some kids eat late by the time parents pick up, get them home and get a dinner going. Key to afternoon snack is not letting it become a meal but a snack. I know sometimes my kiddo's would pig out on snack if I let them. Serving a couple of crackers or a small fruit portion or small snack will not ruin dinner. The other junk the parents offer on the way home thinking they need "another" snack will-
wahmof3 07:26 AM 01-25-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I'm going to post in the other forum so only we can view it, but it happened yesterday
Where is this forum??? You can PM it to me if you want.
Country Kids 07:35 AM 01-25-2013
Originally Posted by My3cents:
I agree with you on not enough time between breakfast and lunch to do snack, but afternoon snack works for me. We do it after all the kids wake up and diaper and bathroom. I don't offer a big snack, just a small snack to get them to dinner. Some kids eat late by the time parents pick up, get them home and get a dinner going. Key to afternoon snack is not letting it become a meal but a snack. I know sometimes my kiddo's would pig out on snack if I let them. Serving a couple of crackers or a small fruit portion or small snack will not ruin dinner. The other junk the parents offer on the way home thinking they need "another" snack will-
Yesterday we had a few animal cookies/cheese for afternoon snack. They barely ate it because they weren't hungry for it and it was almost 3 1/2 hours since lunch.

I only a one or two here till closing and they are the ones that refuse the most foods from me. So know matter what time I serve snack they pretty much pick at it. Also, one of them barely drinks anything all day long!!! I have tried milk, juice, water, flavored water-nothing. Once in a great while they drink the glass but not alot.
Blackcat31 07:40 AM 01-25-2013
Originally Posted by canadiancare:
Getting your head around the 'in their tummies" or "in the trash" = same difference is one of the biggest milestones to make with this battle. Once I did the stress was pretty well gone from mealtimes.
Exactly what I was trying to say.

Originally Posted by canadiancare:
I still feel myself get resentful when the parents offer them a snack to drive 3 minutes (really!) home at the end of the day because I know some kids just bide their time but in the end it doesn't affect me.
This is also so true! Makes me laugh everyday. But again, I don't borrow, accept or take on any issues that dont belong directly to me.
itlw8 07:46 AM 01-25-2013
It irritates me to eat with adults that have to eat only one food at a time and they can not touch. Usually mom only put one food on their plate. I also hate food stirrers. LOL

I serve the whole lunch but a pickey eater gets smaller serving and gets more when they eat.

We try new foods as an activity thought I do not make them taste . They now love Kiwi, pomagranet and edemame

We need grains but eat too much. Check the serving and feed the minimum with no seconds. I always have seconds of veggies and protein. seconds are for hungry kids.

I serve grains too often at snack I am trying to serve them less times a week.

If I know a child will not eat carrots I may have 2 choices of veggies and they can eat the other one. I also try to make sure they like something on the plate. At least they do not hate it.
Country Kids 07:53 AM 01-25-2013
I had a boy one time that would not eat nothing but fruit!!! While fruit is a good thing it can't be the only thing you can eat.

I would only give him a serving because I didn't need him loading up on fruit and being in the bathroom all the time. He is now the biggest high schooler you have ever seen!!! Was always a big kid but seemed to triple when he hit high school.
Blackcat31 07:55 AM 01-25-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
It irritates me to eat with adults that have to eat only one food at a time and they can not touch. Usually mom only put one food on their plate. I also hate food stirrers. LOL
Guess we won't be having lunch together any time soon

I ONLY eat one thing at a time, in a very specific order and NONE of my food can ever touch. ever.

I am however, not picky about what I am eating. Well, I can't eat off certain color plates either but I am still a good eater so that has to count for something right?!?!
countrymom 07:59 AM 01-25-2013
Where is this forum??? You can PM it to me if you want.
its the other one were we can post other things, where the fitness stuff is
wahmof3 08:06 AM 01-25-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
its the other one were we can post other things, where the fitness stuff is
Found it! Thanks
Oneluckymom 08:11 AM 01-25-2013

I have no words!! I am literally speechless that their are parents out there like this.
Meyou 08:16 AM 01-25-2013
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
I have no words!! I am literally speechless that their are parents out there like this.
When I met my stepdaughter she was 11 and could only identify potatos, corn, carrots and mixed veggies (the ones that are frozen) out of all the veggies out there. Even now 5 years later there are often things in the house or the garden that she doesn't know. But she asks now and then tries them. I'm quite proud of how far she's come starting with veggies as a teenager.

For fruit she knew banana, orange, apple and some berries. She'd never seen a pear out of a can before.
Jewels 09:11 AM 01-25-2013
Originally Posted by Meyou:
When I met my stepdaughter she was 11 and could only identify potatos, corn, carrots and mixed veggies (the ones that are frozen) out of all the veggies out there. Even now 5 years later there are often things in the house or the garden that she doesn't know. But she asks now and then tries them. I'm quite proud of how far she's come starting with veggies as a teenager.

For fruit she knew banana, orange, apple and some berries. She'd never seen a pear out of a can before.
You make it seem bad that she only knew those, don't get me wrong, my kids know a lot more, but when I was a kid that was really all I knew, but freshly frozen veggies are still great for you, and bananas apples, oranges these are all budget friendly fruits, that are all good for you, I would think there are alot of kids out there that only eat these standard items, but they are still getting veggies and fruits, and thats whats important.
Meyou 09:24 AM 01-25-2013
Originally Posted by Jewels:
You make it seem bad that she only knew those, don't get me wrong, my kids know a lot more, but when I was a kid that was really all I knew, but freshly frozen veggies are still great for you, and bananas apples, oranges these are all budget friendly fruits, that are all good for you, I would think there are alot of kids out there that only eat these standard items, but they are still getting veggies and fruits, and thats whats important.
She didn't eat them other than potatoes. I agree that some kids and/or families have limited exposure to a variety of produce but sdd literally ate none and knew nothing about food unless it came out of a box or can and went into the oven or microwave to reheat. My dh has lost 60 lbs since he met me and starting eating my cooking. lol
Jewels 10:19 AM 01-25-2013
Originally Posted by Meyou:
She didn't eat them other than potatoes. I agree that some kids and/or families have limited exposure to a variety of produce but sdd literally ate none and knew nothing about food unless it came out of a box or can and went into the oven or microwave to reheat. My dh has lost 60 lbs since he met me and starting eating my cooking. lol

Yeah it is sad alot of food choices parents make for their children, the story about the lady saying no to the orange because she had cookies, i mean its hard to believe someone like that exists, who would choose cookies over fruit for their child, I mean don't get me wrong everything is good in moderation, my kids get a happy meal once in a while.
Country Kids 10:27 AM 01-25-2013
When my ds was little we always stopped at the produce section first, picked out a fruit to eat while we were grocery shopping and I ALWAYS paid for it at the end. The checkers were fine with it as I always told them what it was or left the banana peel for them to see.

I know people gave us strange looks but I would rather them be eating something like this then picking up the fruit roll ups/gummies/candy at the end when we were checking out.
Blackcat31 10:37 AM 01-25-2013
Originally Posted by Jewels:
Yeah it is sad alot of food choices parents make for their children, the story about the lady saying no to the orange because she had cookies, i mean its hard to believe someone like that exists, who would choose cookies over fruit for their child, I mean don't get me wrong everything is good in moderation, my kids get a happy meal once in a while.
One of the saddest things I find about some of my DCP's and eating is that they ONLY make things they themselves like so their kids are never exposed to anything else.

One of my DCM's only likes green beans. She has never made any other vegetable in her home besides green beans.

When I asked her why she doesn't offer things to both her kids in case they might like them she said "Well what would I eat then?"

Um, ok
countrymom 10:44 AM 01-25-2013
I buy green apples because my kids love them. I have a daycare boy who came in once (he's 7) and asked what they were and told him that they are apples. He didn't believe me because all they have are red apples. I also found that kids who don't go to the grocery store have no idea what is out there. I have the oppisite problem, my own children love fruit and veggies and they cost alot. I too look at what people buy, sometimes its all junk and no fruit or veggies.
daycarediva 11:04 AM 01-25-2013
I have a lot of carb-a-holics too. I think it's par for the course as carbs are cheap & easy for parents and don't require an argument from the kid.

I really only have issues with 2 kids. One is a SA kid and would not eat ANYTHING (seriously) when he started. No milk, no water, nothing went in his mouth from dropoff to pickup times (10 hour days in summer). Mom eats very healthy, but instead of feeding dcb those foods, she made him a separate 'kid friendly' (her words) meal from the time he was little. NOW it is frustrating her. (haha) She is also a NUT about how much food dcb eats. The school has to document for her what he ate out of his lunch, I already do, she counts his calories & will give him junk to make up the calorie 'defecit' (dcb is a healthy kid, healthy weight and size). It is INSANE and I have told her on numerous occassions that if you strictly offer him healthy food and DONT SUPPLEMENT WITH JUNK dcb would NOT go hungry, but would start trying REAL FOOD.

My other kid will hold out for crap. Dcm works two jobs and he is home with dcd 3-4 evenings a week. Dcm will come home to dcb and dcd passed out at 11pm on the couch in front of the TV surrounded by junk food wrappers. One night he had JUST a king size milky way and a yoohoo for DINNER. He is also the one I have the MOST behavioral problems and concerns about his development. So I am sure that he lazy parenting goes MUCH farther. Dcm blames dcd, but dcm picks up and has a snack (mcflurry, nuggets, fruit snacks, "juice"-hawaiian punch, etc) waiting in the car and THAT is how she gets dcb to leave.
Country Kids 11:08 AM 01-25-2013
True story-my ringbearer for my wedding was four/five and was helping my mom with some yeard work. She went in and got a glass of water for them (way before bottled water) and he didn't know what it was!!! I think he knew it was water from swimming, bathing and such but didn't know you could drink it.

Totally boggled my moms mind!!!
daycarediva 11:09 AM 01-25-2013
I serve whole grain/whole wheat, minimally processed food and mostly organic. THAT takes kids some getting used to. I had a dcg once say "Omg my bread is bad!" (because it was brown) HAHAHA!

My kids are allowed to pick ANYTHING out of the produce aisle at the store. THAT is their treat. They aren't deprived. Ds's get 100 calorie packs of cookies in their lunch, that sort of thing, but they also leave only the core on their apples and eat my healthy meals the rest of the time.

My one ds is 4 and a few months ago he told a lady in the grocery store with a cart full of crap food that "Junk food is bad for you and makes you fat." She was VERY overweight, as were her children. I was mortified. She was SO visibly angry. I did tell ds that wasn't polite, but I refuse to contradict the statement.
Country Kids 11:10 AM 01-25-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I serve whole grain/whole wheat, minimally processed food and mostly organic. THAT takes kids some getting used to. I had a dcg once say "Omg my bread is bad!" (because it was brown) HAHAHA!

My kids are allowed to pick ANYTHING out of the produce aisle at the store. THAT is their treat. They aren't deprived. Ds's get 100 calorie packs of cookies in their lunch, that sort of thing, but they also leave only the core on their apples and eat my healthy meals the rest of the time.

My one ds is 4 and a few months ago he told a lady in the grocery store with a cart full of crap food that "Junk food is bad for you and makes you fat." She was VERY overweight, as were her children. I was mortified. She was SO visibly angry. I did tell ds that wasn't polite, but I refuse to contradict the statement.
OH MY GOODNESS but good for him!!!!!
dingledine 09:34 PM 01-25-2013
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just keep offering it to them. I try to make a meal/snack that the children may, or may not like, but I always put in at least one food that I think they will. My 7 year old had a TON of food issues, texture issues, etc. He would start gagging when he ate some food even. I just kept offering the food to him, suggesting he try some, putting it in front of him. Now he eats most anything.
snips&snails 10:29 PM 01-25-2013
True story-my ringbearer for my wedding was four/five and was helping my mom with some yeard work. She went in and got a glass of water for them (way before bottled water) and he didn't know what it was!!! I think he knew it was water from swimming, bathing and such but didn't know you could drink it.

Totally boggled my moms mind!!!
I have one like that - his parents were like "What do they drink all day?" - um, WATER! lol plus milk @ meals & the rare glass of juice. This child sobs for juice half the day, and has an absolute fit when I give him water! I worry some though since he has very few wet diapers throughout the day but he is certainly offered enough liquids
Unregistered 11:28 AM 05-07-2020
This has helped me tremendously! My kids are in a better mood and eating healthy!

here is what I have had to do.

i am also on the food program

I offer everything in sections.

veggie first and I wait for them to finish. I make two types. I also make sure I have a least one out of the two that I know the kids like to eat.

If I know johnny does not like carrots, then I will give him the cucumbers.

My rule is you have to try it once and swallow it before you can have your next item

I then serve the protein. same rule

grain next, same rule try it

then i give them the fruit

last their drink.

If they chose not to eat any of it, then that is their choice and we throw it away. Either way, it's going away. away in their tummy or away in the trash. I have just learned to accept this.

I have some that will scream at the site of the food, I count in my head to 25 if the don't stop, I say looks like you are too tired to eat, the plate goes up and they lay down...

Next

Tags:eating tips, meals, tips for providers, won't eat
Reply Up