Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How To Handle Children Who's Parents Work In The School System?
mamap 12:01 PM 03-12-2013
Hi All!

My newest question is this: I have a potential family that requires care for their child care only during the school year (mom works for the public school system). How do you handle this? Does the family pay 100% of tuition regardless of attendance (seems unfair to me), offer a pro-rates rate (such as 1.5 times tuition to "hold" the spot during school breaks) or just tell the families to withdraw their child for breaks and hope there's a spot available when it's time to start again? I'm leaning toward the pro-rated amount but I'm just not sure this will cover my expenses (I've got a part-time assistant that will become full time once I have more kiddos in attendance). Any suggestions would be most appreciated!!

Thanks!!

MamaP
butterfly 12:04 PM 03-12-2013
I do school year only daycare, so this family would be perfect for me. I won't be much help for you, but I only charge during the school year and I'm closed through the summer and all school holidays.
itlw8 12:05 PM 03-12-2013
my teachers bring the kids 2 or 3 days each week in the summer at a lower rate. I would love to have summers off and then I would have them pay a holding fee
butterfly 12:09 PM 03-12-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
my teachers bring the kids 2 or 3 days each week in the summer at a lower rate. I would love to have summers off and then I would have them pay a holding fee
Yes, I forgot I just charge 1 week's rate as an enrollment/holding fee for the summer and then that fee is applied to the last week of care with me but nonrefundable if they don't return.
Blackcat31 12:12 PM 03-12-2013
I used to be accommodating and understanding of parents who work in sectors that have extended off times such as teachers but now I simply offer a space at one weekly rate and they can use it or lose it.

Where they work really doesn't effect me so I don't allow it to effect my income either.

I know that doesn't work for everyone and that is ok but that is how I do it.

One space = one rate = regardless of attendance.
CedarCreek 12:14 PM 03-12-2013
I give my teachers an option:

Take them out and hope there is a spot when school starts up

Or pay half tuition and they can bring their child up to 2 days a week (preapproved days)

I got that last idea from someone on here
KnoxMom 12:16 PM 03-12-2013
Most places charge 50% tuition to hold the spot or else the spot risks being filled. Alternatively, you could take this family and offer one 'summer camp' opening only for the weeks the child will not be in attendance so you don't lose the pay or offer drop-in care for those months since you will have one spot open. I've not been in this situation; just bouncing some ideas! Hope it helps
AfterSchoolMom 12:21 PM 03-12-2013
Could you charge them a higher rate (the same rate for 52 weeks per year only charged for 40'ish) and then bank the difference for the summer?
MamaBearCanada 12:28 PM 03-12-2013
I only do school year so no charge over summer. There is however a 2 week non refundable deposit for their spot for September.
mamap 12:28 PM 03-12-2013
Oh my gosh, ladies, these have all given me lots of ideas! I'm so thankful for all your suggestions! I actually really like the summer camp idea-I just get so attached to my kiddos! Definitely lots to consider here!!!
Texasjeepgirl 12:39 PM 03-12-2013
Ditto on what BLACKCAT said..

I had a teacher enroll her son in July of 2011..
She was a single mom.. son was 2 years old.
She began bringing him to care as soon as she had completed the enrollment process.. so that he could begin getting used to being in care.. before school began the following month..
However.. she had taken him to another home care provider.. catered to infants only...and she took the child year round..
Several reasons..
#1.. it's usually better for the kids.. they have the routine.. and their friends...and daycare schedule..
But #2... she had trainings and workshops to attend ...
she also had various other things she was trying to take care of in her summer off time..
not all of which would be 2 year old friendly..
she had her days that she slept in...
brought him at 9 a.m.. instead of 7:15 during school session... (my cut off time for attendance is 9:30 each day)...
she also had other days she would keep him home with her because of out of town company.. or other activities.....
But she understood from DAY 1 of enrollment that I charge tuition 52 weeks per year... regardless of attendance..

It is their choice to enroll in daycare... even if they anticipate they won't need fulltime care during summer break.

MissAnn 01:40 PM 03-12-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
I give my teachers an option:

Take them out and hope there is a spot when school starts up

Or pay half tuition and they can bring their child up to 2 days a week (preapproved days)

I got that last idea from someone on here
This is exactly what I do.
CedarCreek 06:42 PM 03-12-2013
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
This is exactly what I do.
It might have been you I stole it from!
lovemykidstoo 06:53 PM 03-12-2013
Right now I have 2 families where the moms are teachers. The one family has twins with me and the other has 1 son. In previous years, I allowed them to come half the time and it was no problem because I had siblings of other dck's that needed summer care so I was full. This year is different. I don't have any school kids coming back. The one family with the twins are coming 1 day instead of 3 and the other family with 1 boy is coming 2 days instead of 4, but his brother is coming too so it's the same amount of money per week. It bothers me that I won't be able to supplement the twins 2 days a week that they won't be coming on one hand, but on the other hand I have a baby starting (sibling of a dcb) so a lighter schedule might be nice too. When these 2 families leave, I am definately going to have new rules if I get teachers again.
Meeko 05:29 AM 03-13-2013
I'm with BlackCat. I have a certain amount of places at a certain price. I couldn't care less what the parents do for a living. My set up either works for them or is doesn't, but I don't change the way I run things for anyone.

To tell the truth, I have never understood why teachers expect special treatment anyway. They get paid year round and pay their other bills year round. All other parents are expected to pay whether they are there or not. Why do teachers get special?

What about the dad's who don't work much during the winter because they are construction workers? Or nurses who work rotation shifts?

My personal opinion is that special should be given to everyone according to their work schedule...or nobody.
CedarCreek 05:39 AM 03-13-2013
I completely understand charging anyway through out the summer.

But..

No one around here does that. I would lose 4 of my kids if I did. There are a ton of other providers for them to go to where they either won't be charged or will be half charged.

If I could,I would though.
Meeko 06:11 AM 03-13-2013

But..

No one around here does that. I would lose 4 of my kids if I did. There are a ton of other providers for them to go to where they either won't be charged or will be half charged.

I understand it must be tough.

I'm afraid I see it as teachers bullying daycare providers. "Give me special or I go elsewhere"

If they want the place, they should have to pay for it. Do these same teachers refuse to pay their rent or mortgage when they go on vacation? I'm guessing not. Yet they don't think they should pay you even though they want the place kept open for them.

I have been asked for discounts/free spots from teachers before. Nope!
Crazy8 06:23 AM 03-13-2013

But..

It is the same here, no one charges full rate for kids who take the summers off so if you did people wouldn't choose you for their childcare needs.

I have tried different methods over the years. I prefer to have them come part time over the summer but they can pay a small fee in place of that if they wish. Its all based on where I am in my life - I used to NEED the income over the summer so would charge a hefty (50%) fee to hold the spot for the summer if they weren't coming but now I WANT the time off in the summers so I encourage just 1-2 days a week attendance and my fee for taking the summer off is lower. I used to avoid teachers because I needed year round income, now I seek out teachers because I want the summers off. The best answer is to do what works for YOU!
Unregistered 06:25 AM 03-13-2013
I charge teachers full time through the school year. They pay the first week back up front each year at the beginning of summer, that guarentees their spot in the fall.

I do have kids in the summer, but prefer to have a smaller number with mine home, gives me a little more time with my own kids!
Blackcat31 06:35 AM 03-13-2013

But..

Originally Posted by Crazy8:
It is the same here, no one charges full rate for kids
who take the summers off so if you did people wouldn't choose you for their childcare needs.
I think you are both underestimating yourselves......

There are maybe 2 child cares in my county that charge families year round no matter what they do for a living and I am one of them.

I honestly don't think what other child care's do or don't do has a lot of influence on whether a family chooses you or not for care.

Providers in my area vary so much that there are several who still do allow payment AFTER services or don't charge for any absent days or the providers don't charge late fees, take vacations or do any of the other things we find "normal" on this board.

I think each provider needs to do what works for her and her family and not put so much emphasis on what other providers do or don't do. If a family really connects with you and likes your program, they will find a way to make your rules/policies work for them.
wahmof3 06:52 AM 03-13-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

There are maybe 2 child cares in my county that charge families year round no matter what they do for a living and I am one of them.

I honestly don't think what other child care's do or don't do has a lot of influence on whether a family chooses you or not for care.

Providers in my area vary so much that there are several who still do allow payment AFTER services or don't charge for any absent days or the providers don't charge late fees, take vacations or do any of the other things we find "normal" on this board.

I think each provider needs to do what works for her and her family and not put so much emphasis on what other providers do or don't do. If a family really connects with you and likes your program, they will find a way to make your rules/policies work for them.
This really hits home with me.... on so many different levels!!! I am the same way- its not the normal in my area to charge for summer and I have mostly teachers kids. But I am one who constantly worries about what everyone else is doing and what my DCParents will think of me. For instance I recently purchased new furniture for my play/living room and a new vehicle. I haven't told my DCP and have "hid" my new vehicle. I am so worried that they will talk about me and the things I have earned (and worked very hard for) behind my back. Why can't I just enjoy my earnings??? Thanks for this-- (sorry to hijack )
mamac 07:09 AM 03-13-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I'm with BlackCat. I have a certain amount of places at a certain price. I couldn't care less what the parents do for a living. My set up either works for them or is doesn't, but I don't change the way I run things for anyone.

To tell the truth, I have never understood why teachers expect special treatment anyway. They get paid year round and pay their other bills year round. All other parents are expected to pay whether they are there or not. Why do teachers get special?

What about the dad's who don't work much during the winter because they are construction workers? Or nurses who work rotation shifts?

My personal opinion is that special should be given to everyone according to their work schedule...or nobody.
I just had a conversation with my husband on what I would do if I got a teacher client. It never occurred to me to think of it this way, which is really funny because I actually worked in the construction field before I decided to open a DC. I ended up pulling my child from DC from Nov thru April rather than keep him in because when I did work I never got to see him so I cherished those winter months with him. My DCs policies were half tuition for a guaranteed spot but I never paid only because I never knew how long I would be out of work and it didn't make sense financially. I did, however, pay for many weeks during DC without actually sending him. I think I had the worst job schedule on the planet! It was actually the main reason I chose to leave my job.

Thanks for explaining your reason to charge no matter what. I feel much better about my decision to charge a full 52 weeks/year.
mamac 07:14 AM 03-13-2013
Question for MEEKO and BLACKCAT: (and anyone else who charges teachers during the summer)

You both say you charge teachers during the summer but how do you handle their attendance if the parents don't want to bring them ALL the time? Obviously, if they are paying for full time, they have the right to send the kids but what happens if they want to sleep in late or just send them on random days? Do you allow them a flexible schedule?
Blackcat31 07:14 AM 03-13-2013
Originally Posted by wahmof3:
This really hits home with me.... on so many different levels!!! I am the same way- its not the normal in my area to charge for summer and I have mostly teachers kids. But I am one who constantly worries about what everyone else is doing and what my DCParents will think of me. For instance I recently purchased new furniture for my play/living room and a new vehicle. I haven't told my DCP and have "hid" my new vehicle. I am so worried that they will talk about me and the things I have earned (and worked very hard for) behind my back. Why can't I just enjoy my earnings??? Thanks for this-- (sorry to hijack )
NEVER allow someone else's opinion to define who and what you are!!!
Blackcat31 07:18 AM 03-13-2013
Originally Posted by mamac:
Question for MEEKO and BLACKCAT: (and anyone else who charges teachers during the summer)

You both say you charge teachers during the summer but how do you handle their attendance if the parents don't want to bring them ALL the time? Obviously, if they are paying for full time, they have the right to send the kids but what happens if they want to sleep in late or just send them on random days? Do you allow them a flexible schedule?
ALL families must submit a written schedule by Friday for the upcoming week.

Some of my teacher families value lots of face time with their kid so I have them on a limited schedule throughout the summer

Other families value the consistency and routine their child has while in care so I have their child as I would regularly have them throughout the school year.

Some families alternate a full week with a partial week. Either way, their schedule must be turned in on Friday before the upcoming week so I can plan meals and activities accordingly. I don't allow additions to the week if it impacts my plans (my parents know AND understand this reasoning...I think because they ARE teachers)

......if I can work it, I will allow it.

I don't mind having a lighter load now and then and I also don't mind having the same kids the same days all year long.

Either way, my paycheck is still the same
Country Kids 07:22 AM 03-13-2013
I don't charge to hold a spot or require attendance through the summer.

Reason why-I like the break and love the extra time with my kids. My van only holds 7 so if I had a full house over the summer we could do nothing but just sit here all day long.

Yes, it gets a little tight but I like to have just down time in the summer!
snbauser 07:31 AM 03-13-2013
For me it has always varied. But now that I am revamping my program I am focusing on teachers kids because after 11 years I decided if I want to keep going that I need to have more time to re-energize and more time to focus on my kids when they aren't in school. So starting this year I will only be open Mon-Tues-Wed during the summer in addition to being closed on all school holidays. I will require parents to pay for the 3 days in the summer if they want to hold their full time spot for the fall. They can attend all 3 days or as few as they want but they have to pay for the 3. That gives me some income - although reduced - to make it through the summer, saves them some money, and gives me some extra time with my kids. If they don't want to pay for the 3 days, they can pull their kids and take the risk that they won't have a spot for the fall. My kids are growing way too fast and there are way too many things I still want to do with them before there isn't any more time to do them so this is what I have decided works for me.

edited to add that I decided to pick the 3 days that I would be open instead of allowing them to choose the 3 days for the summer. I would rather have them all on the same days so they have playmates and so that I can count/plan on my 2 days off to schedule things.
CedarCreek 07:45 AM 03-13-2013

Thanks, Blackcat. Maybe after these teachers kids either age out or leave, I can adjust my policies and see what happens.
Meeko 07:52 AM 03-13-2013

Some of my teacher families value lots of face time with their kid so I have them on a limited schedule throughout the summer

Other families value the consistency and routine their child has while in care so I have their child as I would regularly have them throughout the school year.

Some families alternate a full week with a partial week. Either way, their schedule must be turned in on Friday before the upcoming week so I can plan meals and activities accordingly. I don't allow additions to the week if it impacts my plans (my parents know AND understand this reasoning...I think because they ARE teachers)

I don't mind having a lighter load now and then and I also don't mind having the same kids the same days all year long.

Pretty much a ditto. I am open 6-6 and parents may use any of those hours if they wish. But I must know in advance.
mamac 10:45 AM 03-13-2013
Originally Posted by snbauser:
For me it has always varied. But now that I am revamping my program I am focusing on teachers kids because after 11 years I decided if I want to keep going that I need to have more time to re-energize and more time to focus on my kids when they aren't in school. So starting this year I will only be open Mon-Tues-Wed during the summer in addition to being closed on all school holidays. I will require parents to pay for the 3 days in the summer if they want to hold their full time spot for the fall. They can attend all 3 days or as few as they want but they have to pay for the 3. That gives me some income - although reduced - to make it through the summer, saves them some money, and gives me some extra time with my kids. If they don't want to pay for the 3 days, they can pull their kids and take the risk that they won't have a spot for the fall. My kids are growing way too fast and there are way too many things I still want to do with them before there isn't any more time to do them so this is what I have decided works for me.

edited to add that I decided to pick the 3 days that I would be open instead of allowing them to choose the 3 days for the summer. I would rather have them all on the same days so they have playmates and so that I can count/plan on my 2 days off to schedule things.
Oooh! I hadn't thought about doing that! I would love, love, love to have some free time during the summer to spend with my kids. I am used to living on a temporary smaller income as I have had to do that every winter while on unemployment. What a great idea. Since my boys were born I have had to work crazy long hours all spring, summer and fall. I never had any time with them while the weather was nice. I am going to talk to my dh about this tonight!! You are absolutely right about kids growing up way too fast! I want to spend as much time with them as possible.

Btw, do you have only teachers as clients? How does this schedule work for the rest of your clients? Also, how do you charge? Do you just go down to your part time rate for the summer?
mamac 10:51 AM 03-13-2013

After reading about many providers charging for the entire year I decided to change my policy as well. I like knowing exactly what my paycheck will be, as well.

Do you have a specific cut off time to drop off though? Or do you leave that up to the parents as long as their schedule is in by Fri?
My3cents 10:59 AM 03-13-2013
Originally Posted by Texasjeepgirl:
Ditto on what BLACKCAT said..

I had a teacher enroll her son in July of 2011..
She was a single mom.. son was 2 years old.
She began bringing him to care as soon as she had completed the enrollment process.. so that he could begin getting used to being in care.. before school began the following month..
However.. she had taken him to another home care provider.. catered to infants only...and she took the child year round..
Several reasons..
#1.. it's usually better for the kids.. they have the routine.. and their friends...and daycare schedule..
But #2... she had trainings and workshops to attend ...
she also had various other things she was trying to take care of in her summer off time..
not all of which would be 2 year old friendly..
she had her days that she slept in...
brought him at 9 a.m.. instead of 7:15 during school session... (my cut off time for attendance is 9:30 each day)...
she also had other days she would keep him home with her because of out of town company.. or other activities.....
But she understood from DAY 1 of enrollment that I charge tuition 52 weeks per year... regardless of attendance..

It is their choice to enroll in daycare... even if they anticipate they won't need fulltime care during summer break.
double ditto- This also gives the parent's a chance to have daycare during the summer to get things done. I ask for a schedule the week before of when they are coming for the next week. Many teachers keep the child in daycare during the summer even if they are home
My3cents 11:05 AM 03-13-2013

But..

don't be so sure of that. Let them go there then. You want to decrease your income? You can, let it begin with you, if your good they will want to stay with you. I would offer them the chance to come during the summer but just ask for a schedule the week before so you are able to plan. Explain that you have only so many slots you can fill and you need to depend upon your income. Teachers are paid year round-
My3cents 11:07 AM 03-13-2013

snbauser 11:26 AM 03-13-2013
Oooh! I hadn't thought about doing that! I would love, love, love to have some free time during the summer to spend with my kids. I am used to living on a temporary smaller income as I have had to do that every winter while on unemployment. What a great idea. Since my boys were born I have had to work crazy long hours all spring, summer and fall. I never had any time with them while the weather was nice. I am going to talk to my dh about this tonight!! You are absolutely right about kids growing up way too fast! I want to spend as much time with them as possible.

Btw, do you have only teachers as clients? How does this schedule work for the rest of your clients? Also, how do you charge? Do you just go down to your part time rate for the summer?
Right now I only have teachers kids and when I am ready to fill my last spots I will advertise this schedule so that everyone knows up front. I am looking forward to 4 day weekends during the summer I just took my weekly rate and divided it by 5 days and then multiplied it by 3 to give them a rate for the 3 day week. I know money will be tight but even if it means I can spend the day at our community pool with my kids it will be worth it. I will find whatever free or inexpensive things I can. I know our bowling alley participates in the kids bowl free program for the summer where they kids can bowl 2 free games each day and we have a local $1 movie theater.
lovemykidstoo 11:46 AM 03-13-2013
Originally Posted by snbauser:
Right now I only have teachers kids and when I am ready to fill my last spots I will advertise this schedule so that everyone knows up front. I am looking forward to 4 day weekends during the summer I just took my weekly rate and divided it by 5 days and then multiplied it by 3 to give them a rate for the 3 day week. I know money will be tight but even if it means I can spend the day at our community pool with my kids it will be worth it. I will find whatever free or inexpensive things I can. I know our bowling alley participates in the kids bowl free program for the summer where they kids can bowl 2 free games each day and we have a local $1 movie theater.
Reminds me of my schedule. I work Monday-Thursday 7:30-5:30 all year and absolutely love 3 days weekends!
Blackcat31 11:58 AM 03-13-2013
After reading about many providers charging for the entire year I decided to change my policy as well. I like knowing exactly what my paycheck will be, as well.

Do you have a specific cut off time to drop off though? Or do you leave that up to the parents as long as their schedule is in by Fri?
Nope, no cut off time for having to drop off....HOWEVER, I highly discourage drop offs during nap time (to the point of pretty much just saying no) and I don't wait for anyone.

My activities begin at 9:00. If we have plans to leave or have a specific activity, we do it. I wait for no one.

I also make it VERY clear that if the parent allows their child to sleep in and then the child has issues napping while here or is disruptive to the others, I have no qualms about calling the parent and have them pick up their child.

I will NOT allow one child's behavior/schedule/actions to effect the group.
MarinaVanessa 12:55 PM 03-13-2013
I haven't read all of the replies and I'm just thinking out loud here (not even sure if this is crazy and even a real option or not) but if they are teachers would it work to give them a choice much like how they earn their salary and charge them the same way they get paid. As in would it work to give them a choice (I don't know if this is absolute nonsense or not, what do I know .. I don't have teacher's kids):

They get a choice of either spreading it out over the year and paying in 52 week installments (like you would normally charge). As in if your rate $165 a week they pay that each week no matter what. If they didn't want to pay for breaks or summer they can have the option to give you a two weeks notice 2 weeks before school ends and they can hope you still have a spot for them in the fall.

or

Calculate your yearly rate and divide it by weeks that school is in session and charge them that higher rate each week except and they don't pay during breaks or summer school (they still pay for holidays/furlough days like regular clients) and call it your "teacher" rate. As in (2013 year-based on the school calendar in my district) between January and June kids go to school 21 weeks (did not count 1 week of winter or 1 week spring break) and from August to December kids go to school 17 weeks (did not count 10 weeks of summer break, 1 week for fall break and 1 week for winter break) so ... 21+17= 38 weeks of school.

$165 x 52 weeks = $8,580 year so
$8,580/38 weeks = $225/week.

I mean I know they are teachers and all and many teachers claim that they don't make a lot of money and all but in reality they get a salary for a school year and they get a choice of getting paid either during the months they actually work or they can spread it out throughout the year so that they get a paycheck all year long. In essence they get a salary to work about 38 out of 52 weeks out of the year and don't get paid for breaks or for school vacation. In reality a $30,000 a year salary is not really a $576 per week salary ($2,500/month) its actually a $780 a week salary ($7,410/month) right? I mean considering that they (at least in my area) know that they aren't getting paid to work on breaks and summer ... it's like a perk of a job.

And my info btw is coming from friends of mine that are teachers. They know what their salaries are and many of them (4 out of 6) have break, summer or after-school jobs to supplement their income.

Sorry if I'm talking gibberish, just thinking out loud. I personally wouldn't charge a teacher or school employee any less or different than any of my other clients because for me it would mean a loss of income for those breaks and summer.
lovemykidstoo 02:26 PM 03-13-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I haven't read all of the replies and I'm just thinking out loud here (not even sure if this is crazy and even a real option or not) but if they are teachers would it work to give them a choice much like how they earn their salary and charge them the same way they get paid. As in would it work to give them a choice (I don't know if this is absolute nonsense or not, what do I know .. I don't have teacher's kids):

They get a choice of either spreading it out over the year and paying in 52 week installments (like you would normally charge). As in if your rate $165 a week they pay that each week no matter what. If they didn't want to pay for breaks or summer they can have the option to give you a two weeks notice 2 weeks before school ends and they can hope you still have a spot for them in the fall.

or

Calculate your yearly rate and divide it by weeks that school is in session and charge them that higher rate each week except and they don't pay during breaks or summer school (they still pay for holidays/furlough days like regular clients) and call it your "teacher" rate. As in (2013 year-based on the school calendar in my district) between January and June kids go to school 21 weeks (did not count 1 week of winter or 1 week spring break) and from August to December kids go to school 17 weeks (did not count 10 weeks of summer break, 1 week for fall break and 1 week for winter break) so ... 21+17= 38 weeks of school.

$165 x 52 weeks = $8,580 year so
$8,580/38 weeks = $225/week.

I mean I know they are teachers and all and many teachers claim that they don't make a lot of money and all but in reality they get a salary for a school year and they get a choice of getting paid either during the months they actually work or they can spread it out throughout the year so that they get a paycheck all year long. In essence they get a salary to work about 38 out of 52 weeks out of the year and don't get paid for breaks or for school vacation. In reality a $30,000 a year salary is not really a $576 per week salary ($2,500/month) its actually a $780 a week salary ($7,410/month) right? I mean considering that they (at least in my area) know that they aren't getting paid to work on breaks and summer ... it's like a perk of a job.

And my info btw is coming from friends of mine that are teachers. They know what their salaries are and many of them (4 out of 6) have break, summer or after-school jobs to supplement their income.

Sorry if I'm talking gibberish, just thinking out loud. I personally wouldn't charge a teacher or school employee any less or different than any of my other clients because for me it would mean a loss of income for those breaks and summer.
That's a great idea. I like that. How would you word that exactly? It irritates me that I'm out about 6 weeks of full pay equaling about $660 for just one family. It's not the full summer because she usually works 1 week after school closes and usually 2 weeks before school starts and then I have 2 weeks vacation in there that they would not pay normally.
MarinaVanessa 02:35 PM 03-13-2013
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
That's a great idea. I like that. How would you word that exactly? It irritates me that I'm out about 6 weeks of full pay equaling about $660 for just one family. It's not the full summer because she usually works 1 week after school closes and usually 2 weeks before school starts and then I have 2 weeks vacation in there that they would not pay normally.
I would say something like...
Teachers get a choice of either paying the normal weekly rate with no discounts for absences including breaks or summer school or can choose to pay the Teacher rate during the weeks that school is in session. In either case clients that are teachers are still required to pay for absences due to illness, vacations and holidays and no discount is given for furlough days.

Or something along those lines.
lovemykidstoo 04:33 PM 03-13-2013
Teachers get a choice of either paying the normal weekly rate with no discounts for absences including breaks or summer school or can choose to pay the Teacher rate during the weeks that school is in session. In either case clients that are teachers are still required to pay for absences due to illness, vacations and holidays and no discount is given for furlough days.

Sounds good. One of my teachers will be done next spring as their girls will be going to school in the fall of 2014. The other one is only 2. However, this one instead of coming 4 days a week ($120) during the school year, he will be coming 2 days, but his brother is coming too. So, I will still be getting $120 from them a week it's just that it will be 2 less days with 1 more child. That works fine for me. For future reference though I will be redoing the whole teacher pay thing. It really isn't fair that I'm short for those months just because of their occupation.
mamac 07:21 PM 03-13-2013

I think that's a good idea for teachers that want to have a guaranteed slot available for them when school starts again. It wouldn't seem fair to charge more for those who would want to pay during school, pull their kids for the summer and hope like heck you still have a slot for them when September rolls around again. But I do like this as an option though.
boysx5 03:51 AM 03-14-2013
First time in 17 years I have had a teacher dcg is four and comes part time I told her come summer I would charge by the day. If the child was under 2 I would charge all year as we are only allowed two under two
rmc20021 05:44 AM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by wahmof3:
Hahah...I once had a dcm come into my home, and look around after having her kids in my care for a few months and she actually said to me, "hmmmm, let's see...what all have I bought you since you began caring for my kids..." and she started naming off things I had acquired since she had begun bringing her kids to me.

Needless to say, she was a dcm I eventually had to take to court for non-payment. It was absolutely none of her business what I did with the income from my business.
CedarCreek 05:50 AM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by rmc20021:
Hahah...I once had a dcm come into my home, and look around after having her kids in my care for a few months and she actually said to me, "hmmmm, let's see...what all have I bought you since you began caring for my kids..." and she started naming off things I had acquired since she had begun bringing her kids to me.

Needless to say, she was a dcm I eventually had to take to court for non-payment. It was absolutely none of her business what I did with the income from my business.

I literally flinched back while reading this. There are no words..

..that are not curse words.
Tags:public schools
Reply Up