Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Said No. You Guys Would Be Proud!
cheerfuldom 06:28 AM 02-11-2014
I currently have 7 kids here including my own. There is generally 4 or 5 here at a time due to school schedule and one part time schedule. This is the bare minimum I have to take in order to make ends meet. I do have one opening but I am being really picky about who takes the spot. The 8th kid seems to always send me into burn out so if I fill the spot, its got to be the perfect child. I keep getting the usual.....calls for newborns, weird schedules, or parents wanting dirt cheap rates. I did have one prospect with the perfect schedule but it was a 6 month old. My cut off is 9 months old, sitting and crawling and drinking from a sippy cup so this 6 month old would send me back to baby land. I purposefully got rid of all baby equipment and toys to help me resist the urge of filling with a child that does not fit in here. It was really hard to say no just because I have had this opening for awhile! but I did it. I said no and I feel good about that.

And I have two more good prospects for kids that are a better fit! A 10 month old that would be part time during the summer and full time in the fall, perfect for me so I can have more days off with my kids this summer. and also a full time 1 year old who would also be a good fit. Only trouble is they have had a nanny that spoiled them before this so I would have to be pretty strict on getting them used to group care.
Cat Herder 06:58 AM 02-11-2014
Life is easier when we don't set ourselves up for failure...

Congrats!!!!
CraftyMom 07:10 AM 02-11-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I currently have 7 kids here including my own. There is generally 4 or 5 here at a time due to school schedule and one part time schedule. This is the bare minimum I have to take in order to make ends meet. I do have one opening but I am being really picky about who takes the spot. The 8th kid seems to always send me into burn out so if I fill the spot, its got to be the perfect child. I keep getting the usual.....calls for newborns, weird schedules, or parents wanting dirt cheap rates. I did have one prospect with the perfect schedule but it was a 6 month old. My cut off is 9 months old, sitting and crawling and drinking from a sippy cup so this 6 month old would send me back to baby land. I purposefully got rid of all baby equipment and toys to help me resist the urge of filling with a child that does not fit in here. It was really hard to say no just because I have had this opening for awhile! but I did it. I said no and I feel good about that.

And I have two more good prospects for kids that are a better fit! A 10 month old that would be part time during the summer and full time in the fall, perfect for me so I can have more days off with my kids this summer. and also a full time 1 year old who would also be a good fit. Only trouble is they have had a nanny that spoiled them before this so I would have to be pretty strict on getting them used to group care.
Good for you! It's so hard to resist temptation to fill a spot but it will be sooo worth it for your sanity
Blackcat31 08:06 AM 02-11-2014
Good for you!!!!

Sometimes our head's know better but our mouths don't listen so good for you for saying no!

I am willing to bet you won't regret it!
MarinaVanessa 08:19 AM 02-11-2014
Oh that's awesome! You said no and now you have better candidates that are a better fit for what you're looking for !
Meyou 09:17 AM 02-11-2014
Yay!! Life is so much easier when you can say no when you want to! I'm so happy for you.
daycarediva 10:20 AM 02-11-2014
I hope you get an AWESOME new family.
cheerfuldom 10:22 AM 02-11-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Life is easier when we don't set ourselves up for failure...

Congrats!!!!
exactly. I have gotten a lot better about things like this in every area of my life.
Tags:filling spaces, filling spots, filling vacancies
Reply Up