Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Take the Part-Timers or Wait for Full-Timers to Come Around?
has_my_heart 09:50 PM 10-08-2014
I have been running my daycare for about 6 months now and am happy with the number of kids/families but I only have one baby that comes full-time. In January I will be starting with the 2nd full-timer but at first I was OK with taking what I could get. I really like the families I am working with and don't even know how to go about terming if I in fact had the option to take on another full-timer. Would you do that? I would like one or two more full-timers but have some families that are inquiring about part-time positions. I don't know if I should take them on or if I should leave my availability for a full-timer when they come around? What have you done/would you do?
Indoorvoice 04:27 AM 10-09-2014
I have something written in my handbook that full-time has priority over part - time. If it works for you, I would take the part - timers and term families as needed when a full-time client comes around. It is a business after all! However, I recently adjusted my rate scale and actually make more with part-timers so I've been leaning lately towards taking them. Do what you feel comfortable with.
melilley 11:30 AM 10-09-2014
Originally Posted by altandra:
I have something written in my handbook that full-time has priority over part - time. If it works for you, I would take the part - timers and term families as needed when a full-time client comes around. It is a business after all! However, I recently adjusted my rate scale and actually make more with part-timers so I've been leaning lately towards taking them. Do what you feel comfortable with.

This is what I do. In fact, I just had to let 2 p/t kids (one that I loved) go to make room for a new f/t baby, but one of the kids that I let go only came once a week and the other child only came twice every other week.
I do have 2 other p/t kids, but I charge more for p/t, so I am actually making a little more with them than I would with getting another f/t child. Plus, I like having p/t kids (as long as they are fine only coming a couple of days a week).
daycare 11:37 AM 10-09-2014
I also have the same rule as the other pp, except I will not take a child PT if they are under 2years old. In my experience, the younger the child the harder it is to get them adapt to my program/routine.

I love PT families.....higher pay and I don't have to deal with the same kid day in and out. It's nice to have that change.
AmyKidsCo 12:48 PM 10-09-2014
If you need the money now, I'd take the PT now, then IF a FT family comes along you can give the PT family the option of paying FT or finding other care. If you don't need the money and would rather have all FT, wait for FT to come along.

My policies also state that FT has priority over PT so there's no surprises.
Tags:filling spots
Reply Up