Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Don't Know What to Do!
JeepGirl6 05:24 AM 08-01-2012
I have a daycare parent that only brings their daughter part time. She will come 2-3 days a week from September-June, once summer breaks hits a relative watches her 2 days a week leaving me with one day a week. I never spoke up that they still have to pay me for those days( its in my contract). Well 2 weeks ago the mother told me she they were going on vacation last week and she was just taking this week off for also so two weeks in a row. ( In my contract it says I need a month notice for vacations) So I am out the one day from last week and this week now. I feel like they are the only ones who don't follow my contract. Instead of paying for a day missed a few months back she just said well I will just add an extra day this week so I dont have to pay for the day missed. I wish I was able to speak up for myself. I have consider letting them go and finding a full time child in place of her because I know they arent going to pay me for the summer days they take away or the day missed last week and this week. I have in my contract when they are on vacation they pay 50% of the weekly rate. Should I just speak up and tell her she has to pay for the day missed last week and this week because I am saving her spot? I REALLY wish I was able to stand up for myself when it comes to this business.
saved4always 05:28 AM 08-01-2012
I would definitely speak up, especially if it is in your contract. If you don't enforce your contract, they will think they don't have to follow any of your rules. I would copy the parts of the contract that refer to these payments that are due, including where they signed it and clip a note to it that tells them what they owe you per the contract they agreed to. If they refuse to honor what they agreed to, you can give them notice because they are not following your contract.
cheerfuldom 05:52 AM 08-01-2012
I agree with the PP, you aren't following your contract either, why should she? You need to figure out what you really want and then speak up about it and face the possibility that they will leave with the rules enforced. Its not going to be easy for them to accept things that you previously hadnt enforced.

If you would rather replace them, then just start interviewing now and term them when the time comes
Happy Hearts 05:56 AM 08-01-2012
Sometimes you know exactly what you have to do but don't want to do it for lots of reasons: avoiding conflict for the most part, risk of losing the child, etc.

So, my advice, just do it!! It only hurts in the moment and the results are way better than you will ever know.

You can do it.
Truly Scrumptious 06:29 AM 08-01-2012
I found this on the web....

You should be aware that your conduct over a period of time may indicate
that you and the parent have mutually agreed to change the contract. In other
words, by your actions, you may appear to change what is written in the
contract, and therefore the written terms may not be enforced by the court. For
example, a contract may provide for a monetary penalty for late pick ups;
however, if you never enforce that provision (e.g., there are multiple instances
when a parent was late for pick up but the provider never charged the parent a
late fee) then the court might determine that contract provision to be
unenforceable. Therefore, a child care provider using a written contract should be sure that the contract reflects the actual practices of the provider.
My3cents 06:34 AM 08-01-2012
Originally Posted by Sparrow:
Sometimes you know exactly what you have to do but don't want to do it for lots of reasons: avoiding conflict for the most part, risk of losing the child, etc.

So, my advice, just do it!! It only hurts in the moment and the results are way better than you will ever know.

You can do it.
Its hard to do, but once you do it, and you keep doing it you will be surprised how much respect from your parents you will get.

If they go on vacation, you still need to be able to depend on your money, they should pay you full price. You should allow yourself two weeks a year of paid vacation, giving them plenty of notice to decide if they want to have their vacation coincide with yours.

If you have a rule,policy,handbook and contract you should follow it- or why bother.

Yes they may leave you, yes they may get mad at you, but most likely they will stick with you and come to realize that treating you well is only benefiting their child. Having to go through the process of finding good daycare is long and they are established with you. Now they just need to learn to follow the rules and so do you- It's good business practice, nothing personal just good business-

Best-
Truly Scrumptious 06:36 AM 08-01-2012
Originally Posted by My3cents:
Its hard to do, but once you do it, and you keep doing it you will be surprised how much respect from your parents you will get.

If they go on vacation, you still need to be able to depend on your money, they should pay you full price. You should allow yourself two weeks a year of paid vacation, giving them plenty of notice to decide if they want to have their vacation coincide with yours.

If you have a rule,policy,handbook and contract you should follow it- or why bother.

Yes they may leave you, yes they may get mad at you, but most likely they will stick with you and come to realize that treating you well is only benefiting their child. Having to go through the process of finding good daycare is long and they are established with you. Now they just need to learn to follow the rules and so do you- It's good business practice, nothing personal just good business-

Best-

Truly Scrumptious 07:21 AM 08-01-2012
If it's hard for you to confront her...make a copy of her contract and highlight the part about payment for time off...attach a note that states what her total is and when payment is expected and put it in her child's cubbie.

Now if she ignores it...I would get mad

If she comes to you and says..."Well you didn't say anything when I did it before and you didn't make me pay". You just blame yourself and be honest. Tell her that you should have said something, but it makes you uncomfortable...but you realized how unprofessional that was and from now on you will be enforcing your contract. It's nothing personal, it's just business..just like My3cents stated.
MizzCheryl 09:45 AM 08-01-2012
I would just tell her you are gonna have to get a full time child for her slot. I would then tell her that you will be interviewing for the slot (next month or next week, whatever you choose) and we she like the slot for full time and following the contract you have. If she says I would tell her she could stay until the slot is filled.
This is what I have done in the past. I only do part time temporary.
Reply Up