Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is Teir 2 worth it?
originalkat 08:17 PM 12-16-2009
I am not on the food program right now. But, I am pretty sure if I do it would be on Teir 2 based on our area (mostly middle class average neighborhood). I only have 4 kids. I mostly follow the requirements now (except for the exact measurements). But I just dont know if the paperwork, home visits, etc is worth the $150 or so a month. What do you think? Who else is on the food program and is it worth the effort?
TTOTS 06:15 AM 12-17-2009
Yes it is most definetly worth it, no matter what the amount is you get. The paperwork isn't all that bad really. I do all mine online and it is so much easier and really quick. Good luck with it.
tymaboy 06:23 AM 12-17-2009
Here they go by what school district we live in on what teir we are. If we do not live in a teir 2 school district they will ask if I want them to send paper work to the parents to see if their wages qualify for it. I will not ask my parents to do that. I am happy to be teir 1 cuz I figure anything is better then nothing.
GretasLittleFriends 06:39 AM 12-17-2009
I'm on the food program, and personally I think it's worth it. Honestly, I'm in a tier 1 area, but even if I were in a tier 2 area I'd still think it was worth it.

For me there isn't much paperwork. The program I'm with has the option to do the filing by computer as opposed to filling out the bubble-sheets my MIL had to do years ago. Plus the computer program I have has a few extras on it like billing and accounting which when I use them regularly make my life much easier. It takes me maybe 5 minutes at the end of each meal/snack to enter in what I fed the children. The claims are also submitted electronically. And there is the option for direct deposit which is nice too.

When my lady visits me for a home visit she always has material to cover with me. Our visits usually only last 1/2 hour. The ones at meal time may last a little longer because I'm preoccupied with feeding the kids. One of the benefits to her visits is the fact that they are counted as an educational session so I always get at least 1/2 hour of education credit. That does add up over the year.

As far as following the exact requirements for feeding the appropriate amount, I do have some that are picky eaters, and others that eat more than the required amount. Rather than putting the 1/2 cup (or whatever the measurement is for lunch) of green beans on each child's plate, knowing that Johnny will only eat 1 bean if I'm lucky, we eat "family style". I always have extra of whatever is being served on the table that way I can give Johnny one bean and Susie the 3/4c she wants. The idea here is the 1/2c Johnny is supposed to get is available to him if he chooses to eat it, yet it doesn't go to waste sitting on his plate. My food program lady told me that this was an approved method.

This is my experience and my .02.
gbcc 10:25 AM 12-17-2009
The way my area does it is that either I or any of my parents need to qualify for Tier 1 and then I get that amount. I get between $500 - $600 per month. I can't imagine Tier 2 would be that much less. Its like getting paid for a child I never have!! I file mine online, very easy and twice per year the lady comes out and there is literally a 10 minute visit. I think it's worth it. You could always just sign up for it and if it doesn't work out withdraw from the program. My parents don't care either way if I am on it. Some actually wish I wasn't so they could have jello and pudding but oh well.
GretasLittleFriends 10:31 AM 12-17-2009
Originally Posted by gbcc:
The way my area does it is that either I or any of my parents need to qualify for Tier 1 and then I get that amount. I get between $500 - $600 per month. I can't imagine Tier 2 would be that much less. Its like getting paid for a child I never have!! I file mine online, very easy and twice per year the lady comes out and there is literally a 10 minute visit. I think it's worth it. You could always just sign up for it and if it doesn't work out withdraw from the program. My parents don't care either way if I am on it. Some actually wish I wasn't so they could have jello and pudding but oh well.
Very true, if it doesn't work you can always withdraw.

As far as the jello and pudding go, we have popcorn and ice cream eaters here. Neither of those foods qualify either. I was told I could still feed these foods to the children I just had to have other healthier food along with them. Great example, for a snack we could have jello, a banana and a glass of milk. The banana and milk meet the snack requirements and they can still have the yummy jello.
GretasLittleFriends 10:40 AM 12-17-2009
Here's what I found for the rates for the two tiers. It should be the same across the country regardless of where you live since it's a USDA funded program and not an individually state funded program. Tier 1 is for lower income (you get paid more) and Tier 2 is for higher income areas (you get paid less). I suppose they figure in the lower income areas the daycare providers don't get paid as much either... Not exactly sure, that's just my thought.

Tier 1 Tier 2
Breakfast $1.19 $0.44
Snack $0.66 $0.18
Lunch/Dinner $2.21 $1.33

This is cost per child. I also know that if you're in tier 1 (lower income area) you can apply for your own children to be on the food program getting extra $$ for the meals you serve your child/ren when other daycare children are present. You can only claim 2 meals and a snack or 2 snacks and a meal on the program, so make sure you claim the ones that get you the highest amount. If I have a child here for lunch, aft snack, dinner and eve snack, I claim lunch dinner and eve snack.
gbcc 11:20 AM 12-17-2009
yes, you are correct. I have parents that qualify for tier 1 though so that is how I qualify. I can claim my son and my niece that lives here for all meals they are present. Summers I get almost an extra $5 per day because of lunch. I don't do morning snack so this increases my check because I then get paid for breakfast, lunch and pm snack. Once a month goes by it will be much easier to understand. Honestly, if it wasn't for the food program I would not be registered.
originalkat 01:56 PM 12-17-2009
Can a provider claim their own children on the program? If the school in my area is a Title 1 school does that mean I might be on Teir 1 rates? I already put in an email to a sponsering agency with my questions but I just wanted info from anything you might know as well while I wait for them to respond. Thanks everyone for encouraging me to get on the program. We will see what happens.
GretasLittleFriends 02:22 PM 12-17-2009
A provider can claim their own children only if their household taxable income falls within the tier 1 qualification guidelines. Otherwise no, at least that's my understanding. With us, in order for my son to qualify my husband and I would have had to turn over our tax papers along with all of the schedules and everything. We're both self employed, and honestly decided it just wasn't worth the headache for payment for our own son.
originalkat 06:05 PM 12-17-2009
The CACFP sponser emailed me back and said my elementary school is a Tier 1 area! Yipee! I dont think my own kids will qualify if it is income based, but still that is over $300 per month. Wow, I am going to be getting a raise!!!! Thanks for the info everyone!
Tags:food program, tier 2
Reply Up