Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Two Bite Rule
Country Kids 08:51 AM 07-24-2012
Does anyone do the two bite rule for eating? I have one that will literally take one bite then be done after they have cried for how hungry they are.

Also, they wil ask over and over for milk then when they get it they literally take one sip and be done.

At lunch after they take one bite they are happy to go lay down and take a nap.

The thing though is its starting to rub off on the other kids. I had one finally eating healthy and now has tears running down their face because they only want to take one bite of something and not eat anymore.

Any ideas?
Truly Scrumptious 08:55 AM 07-24-2012
I have the two bite rule as well, but they can't leave the table until lunch is over. If they want to cry the whole time...doesn't bother me. Usually if they have to sit there they will eat the rest.
cheerfuldom 08:58 AM 07-24-2012
I dont make the kids eat or drink. But I also dont let them cry for food or make a fuss at the lunch table. I will send them to go play or they will go to the "cry corner" if they will not stop asking and asking for food (this is when I know they are not hungry and wouldnt eat even if I offered it to them). If they act crazy at the lunch table, they still sit in a chair, but away from the group. I have never had a kid last too long with these measures. I dont fight over two bites, but they cant be disruptive either.
Country Kids 09:05 AM 07-24-2012
What do you do when its the whole group saying they are done and want down?

I have one that is a great eater but the minute someone says they are done, so is this child, even if the first child is really done.

Also, I have a child that will repeat over and over and over they are done till they can get down. Thats all they will say-I'm done, I'm done,I'm done,etc. until you let them get down.
Willow 09:09 AM 07-24-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I dont make the kids eat or drink. But I also dont let them cry for food or make a fuss at the lunch table. I will send them to go play or they will go to the "cry corner" if they will not stop asking and asking for food (this is when I know they are not hungry and wouldnt eat even if I offered it to them). If they act crazy at the lunch table, they still sit in a chair, but away from the group. I have never had a kid last too long with these measures. I dont fight over two bites, but they cant be disruptive either.

Same here

I don't make a fuss about food or drink at all, everyone gets their portions per my food program requirements, if they don't eat or drink it tough, they can sit and wait for everyone else, we do that whether kids eat or not. Everyone hangs out until everyone is done.

They can have water between meals/snacks and that's it. If I have a new kiddo that bucks meals and tries to make it to yummy snack times alone I make sure to feed straight raw vegetables for awhile.

I don't care if my daycare kids are hungry by their own choice, and they know that. When parents see how effective making food a non-issue is they usually jump on board at home too. All of my daycare kids are great eaters as a result. The picky ones rarely resist more than a week lol
cheerfuldom 09:09 AM 07-24-2012
try setting a timer where everyone stays at the table even if they are done. For the repeater, I would scoot him/her away from the group but make them sit on their chair, facing away.....so they get no attention for the disruptive repeating.
Country Kids 09:13 AM 07-24-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
try setting a timer where everyone stays at the table even if they are done. For the repeater, I would scoot him/her away from the group but make them sit on their chair, facing away.....so they get no attention for the disruptive repeating.
Oh, tried that. They just keep turning around in the chair so they can face the group. They just want down so they can go to naptime.

The milk thing is at lunch. I serve lunch and while I'm pouring milk they are asking for it over and over and then just take one sip.
Willow 09:15 AM 07-24-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:

I have one that is a great eater but the minute someone says they are done, so is this child, even if the first child is really done.

Also, I have a child that will repeat over and over and over they are done till they can get down. Thats all they will say-I'm done, I'm done,I'm done,etc. until you let them get down.
He's got you trained that when he bugs the heck out of you, you relent.

Don't relent

If he's three ask him to sit there quietly for three minutes. Set a kitchen timer if he needs help focusing on something. Challenge him to not say "I'm done" for those three minutes. Reward him when he does, start the timer over if he forgets. You can start in even smaller intervals to help him grasp the concept if that makes it easier.

Once everyone declares done we still sit and wait a good 5-10 minutes beyond that. Kids feel really full if they sit down and inhale their food. Knowing that doesn't equal right back to playtime has gotten all my kids to sloooooow doooooooown. Most relax during that time, their bellies adjust, and then they eat a bit more.
cheerfuldom 09:15 AM 07-24-2012
Oh, tried that. They just keep turning around in the chair so they can face the group. They just want down so they can go to naptime.

The milk thing is at lunch. I serve lunch and while I'm pouring milk they are asking for it over and over and then just take one sip.
put them in a booster with straps so they cant turn around....and scoot farther away. they have to be getting some sort of payoff for all this bad behavior so you have to take that part away from them and the whole thing will be over.
Willow 09:18 AM 07-24-2012

Only offer to refill a sip at a time after you give them their required serving.
Heidi 09:19 AM 07-24-2012

-put only small amounts on each plate so that there's less waste (literally 2 bites of each food). Have the rest available for refills when their plate is empty. Then, any left overs can be frozen for another meal.

-If a child is seriously grossed-out by something, don't push it. Encourage, but some things are gross to some people.

-If they keep wanting milk refills, limit it to food program standards, and only give small refills. I will sometimes make them wait on refills until they've eaten something.

-If someone doesn't want to eat, they can sit at the table and visit with their friends until at least (insert #) people are done. This can be said in a positive way...like an invitation, not a punishment. I also sit with the kids most days, and make either eat with them, or take a small plate and more or less pretend to eat with them...lol

-Disruptive people are excused...period....they can go sit on the couch until everyone else is done. You can bet the minute that happens I'll decide to read an extra story. All my kids LOVE stories...so missing out stinks!
Country Kids 09:36 AM 07-24-2012
I give the required milk serving-this is what the child will only take sip of and then be done.

I can't just serve two bites, we have minimum requirements to serve for our food program.

They aren't grosses out by anything they are just done and want down.

They don't want to visit they want down so they can go take a nap.
Wigglesandgiggles 10:14 AM 07-24-2012
I give the required milk serving-this is what the child will only take sip of and then be done.

I can't just serve two bites, we have minimum requirements to serve for our food program.

Have the required amount available, but gice two bites at a time?
countrymom 10:24 AM 07-24-2012
Originally Posted by Truly Scrumptious:
I have the two bite rule as well, but they can't leave the table until lunch is over. If they want to cry the whole time...doesn't bother me. Usually if they have to sit there they will eat the rest.
same here. My kids now will tell the others that "you don't know if your going to like it if you don't try it"
countrymom 10:25 AM 07-24-2012
but I bet you that they love to eat junk, I have an 18 month old like this. she eats nothing unless its junk. The dr told mom that she's just a picky eater, I'm sorry but she's not a picky eater she's a junk food eater.
Willow 10:27 AM 07-24-2012
Instead of having the two bite "rule" can you change the thinking to having a two bite "club?" Target the opposite side of the spectrum and hope the rest follow suite?

A few years ago my food program did a deal like that. We got a book to read about it and certificates to pass out to any kiddo who completed it. Basically it was a sheet that stated kiddos name, any foods they tried that they normally don't eat (I did new weird ones altogether) and the date they were brave. After they hit I think it was four foods they got the certificate to bring home. I also treated with bagels with strawberry cream cheese as that was a favorite of all the kids at the time. We continued it over and over again beyond that initial certificate.

Rewarded good eaters and gave them a good helping of attention over punishing the bad ones or singling them out which only adds anxiety to the table. It definitely had a really positive impact on my whole crew and definitely changed the way I looked at picky/stubborn/disruptive eaters!
Crystal 10:34 AM 07-24-2012
You can download the "Two Bite Club" book and certificates here:

http://teamnutrition.usda.gov/Resources/2biteclub.html
Nickel 10:40 AM 07-24-2012

Maybe they are really tired? Can you maybe try moving lunch up a little so they can eat sooner and go to sleep. You could always try it and see if it helps and if not go back to your normal schedule????
Country Kids 10:41 AM 07-24-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:

Thanks Chystal!

I can try it and see. So far stickers, prizes, etc. doesn't work so I'm not sure if this will or not.

Here's another question-does head start serve nutrtious food? My one little guy that sits and has tears running down their face goes to head start so I would think he would be use to nutritious foods!
Willow 10:55 AM 07-24-2012
Thanks Chystal!

I can try it and see. So far stickers, prizes, etc. doesn't work so I'm not sure if this will or not.

Here's another question-does head start serve nutrtious food? My one little guy that sits and has tears running down their face goes to head start so I would think he would be use to nutritious foods!

The lunches at my kids' school are deemed "nutritious" by the government, they're anything but....
Heidi 11:04 AM 07-24-2012

Odd how each food program's interpretation is different. For ours, I only need to have that much available to serve, not put it on their plate. This includes milk.

Does your food program now require skim or 1% milk? It'd be a little ironic that they require that for fear of childhood obesity, but then expect you to pile food on a plate that the child won't eat. Never mind that you have to waste food that one doesn't eat, while the next kid, with the big appetite can't have more because you only make the required servings. If my kids want more brocoli, they get it. I make enough for everyone to get the minimum serving, but some kids aren't exactly crazy about it. But then, sometimes a few of them "argue" over who gets the last piece!
Fruitloops1 11:05 AM 07-24-2012

ohhh, i like this..
WImom 11:09 AM 07-24-2012

Could you set a timer? That way they will know when lunch is done. Maybe start setting it at 1/2 the time at first.
WImom 11:12 AM 07-24-2012
Originally Posted by Willow:
Same here

I don't make a fuss about food or drink at all, everyone gets their portions per my food program requirements, if they don't eat or drink it tough, they can sit and wait for everyone else, we do that whether kids eat or not. Everyone hangs out until everyone is done.

They can have water between meals/snacks and that's it. If I have a new kiddo that bucks meals and tries to make it to yummy snack times alone I make sure to feed straight raw vegetables for awhile.

I don't care if my daycare kids are hungry by their own choice, and they know that. When parents see how effective making food a non-issue is they usually jump on board at home too. All of my daycare kids are great eaters as a result. The picky ones rarely resist more than a week lol
I'm the same way. I also don't give seconds until they've eaten everything. If there is something I know a child doesn't like I will only give them a very small amount of that item to start with.
countrymom 11:13 AM 07-24-2012
yesterdays lunch was baked fish, broccoli, mash pot. and gravy. Can you believe that all the dck's didn't like any of it. Yet, my own kids fought over who got the last piece (ds ate all the mash pot and odd ate all the broccoli--talk about boohoo's) I just don't know what these kids eat, we have our fair share of junk too, but my kids still eat healthy.

today my kids are eating bananas like they've never seen them, dck's could care less about them. This drives me crazy. I don't have a program---no one in canada does, so please don't suggest one. All food comes out of my pocket.
Heidi 11:15 AM 07-24-2012

We had a local provider training here by our UW Extention on this. I got a poster, enough books for all the kids, some (somewhat goofy) videos, and activity ideas.

I put up the pyramid poster near the meal table, and the kids had a BLAST figuring out what component each food item was at each meal. If I forgot, they reminded me. Even the toddlers would point to the poster, and remind me if I ever skipped.

My 2 1/2 yo dcb was a very picky eater. But, for the past few months I have a couple school agers here who eat EVERYTHING and get all excited over vegies. One has a garden, and brought us fresh green beans last week. Now, all the sudden, dcb eats everything. The schoolagers changed the "culture" here and made vegies "cool" somehow....thank you very much, sa's!
momma2girls 11:29 AM 07-24-2012
I usually have very good eaters here. I started this with mealtimes- I will put their entree, and veg. on their plate at first. I always tell them you eat everything up and you can have your fruit, dessert, extra whatever it is. I hardly ever give a dessert(such as a cookie, brownie, etc.) but to them fruit, jello, pudding, etc. are the goodies. They eat everything up to receive their goody at the end!! It has worked very well!!
Country Kids 12:41 PM 07-24-2012
OK, made a pretty kid friendly lunch and they still wouldn't eat it!

Bologna sandwiches (on hamburger buns)
Tator tots
Kiwi
Yogurt-this is all they ate
Milk-no one even drank theirs

One ate their yogurt and starte "I'm done,I'm done, I'm done, I'm done, etc."
The other one started crying as soon as the yogurt was gone!
Heidi 01:12 PM 07-24-2012
OK, made a pretty kid friendly lunch and they still wouldn't eat it!

Bologna sandwiches (on hamburger buns)
Tator tots
Kiwi
Yogurt-this is all they ate
Milk-no one even drank theirs

One ate their yogurt and starte "I'm done,I'm done, I'm done, I'm done, etc."
The other one started crying as soon as the yogurt was gone!
WTH?????

Are you SURE your food program requires you to put a full serving on each plate and put it in front of them???? I don't get that at all!

Lunch today...if they are ALL yogurt lovers and eat nothing else, next time, I'd skip the yogurt!. Start giving them ONLY super-healthy choices, and feed them family style. That means, they get an EMPTY plate and cup, all the food gets put in the middle of the table, and you supervise what they take. If everyone is whining and complaining, I'd just excuse the whole lot of them! I'd keep my face COMPLETELY nuetral, shrug my shoulders, and say "ok...you are excused". Then, I'd serve the SAME EXACT THING for afternoon snack!

I'm not talking Mommy Dearest here...serving the same gross rare steak for a week...but I'd keep the favorites out of the loop for a while (to "reset" their thinking), make it an activity (by serving themselves and doing the food pyramid game), and act like it doesn't matter to me. I'd also let all my dc parents know what's up...so the kids don't claim you didn't feed them. I can't imagine one of my dc parents saying "oh...no...you SHOULD waste all that food". I'd explain it in a kind way, but ask for their back-up...that means, no giving them crap on the way home because they're "hungry".
Reply Up