Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>strange schedule requests
logged out 06:59 PM 08-08-2012
Ever take a client who wants care only on college schedule? Like aug-early dec then off a few weeks, then back in jan-may.

What about a client whos child has rarely been in care? "For a few months but usually we just have friends or family watch them."

Got calls from both these people today. Wasnt sure my thoughtson this.
Country Kids 08:32 PM 08-08-2012
The college students are what changed my charging policy. I was losing so much money on them. So I had to change it to what you put down for is what you are charged for. If you take them out on your break I can't guarentee a spot back. I did give a few small discounts for a few though.
Truly Scrumptious 09:21 PM 08-08-2012
I only allow full time care. I do allow drop in care on occasion, but parents are not guaranteed that their child would be able to come, they would have to check each day and the rate is higher.
MaritimeMummy 04:41 AM 08-09-2012
I don't do either of these situations but with the college one, I can compare because 2 of my 3 kids are part time (until last week, I had one FT and 3 part time) and the part-time child that I just lost was the one I had to make this rule for, the same as a previous responder: "what you book, you pay for. Make 100% sure that this is the schedule you want. You may add a day with no penalty IF I have availability, but the second you submit a schedule to me, it becomes concrete, and you are responsible for paying for those days whether the child is with me or not". *paraphrased...I can''t recall the exact wording, but that is essentially how I deal with it*

With being out for months at a time, average out how many days a week the child is there over the the rest of the year, and charge that on a weekly basis to hold the child's spot over the summer and through Christmas break. So say DCK is coming most weeks at 4 days a week but maybe sometimes comes 3 days and even still, 1 day. Average that out. Say it ends up being, on average, 3 days a week. Charge them your daily rate at 3 days a week for any week that child is not in your care.

The one who has rarely been in care? I'd be super-cautious of that one. Likely to yank from care at any given moment to put back with family unless they make it clear that they are looking for a change of pace. Parents who use family for care are usually quite wary of putting their children in day care and act like they are very firm on the decision, but end up second-guessing themselves. In my experience (as a care provider AND a parent)
Reply Up