Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>School-Aged Kids
LeslieG 08:13 AM 12-27-2015
I have never taken any school-aged kids in my previous daycare just because I thought it would be too hard.

I'm curious.. Do you like having school-aged kids? What are the pros/cons of having them in your daycare?
NoMoreJuice! 08:45 AM 12-27-2015
I like having well mannered, helpful school age kids. They are expected to follow the same rules as the littles, plus help out when I ask them. They typically enjoy helping with things like serving snack, wiping tables afterward, etc. If you can keep them busy, you'll be fine. When they get bored, they're annoying and will try to divert all your attention towards them. I've always had a special box full of craft supplies that I give them free rein to make what they would like. I don't want to see one sequin on the floor afterwards though, so I tell them my expectations before they start in.
e.j. 09:39 AM 12-27-2015
I take school age kids here and there but only the kids who have been in my day care when they were younger and only if they (and their parents ) were well behaved. If they visit and I find they've developed fresh mouths and poor behavior, I just tell their parents I have no openings available when they call for care the next time.
spedmommy4 11:28 AM 12-27-2015
I took 4 on this school year, and I have found that they challenging when the majority of the group is much younger. The 4 I have are all pretty well behaved but they are really active and I constantly worry about the smallest children getting knocked over or hit by ball, etc.

In addition, my school agers have minimum days and teacher development days at their school. On these days, they are here for a half or full day. It makes nap time a head ache. After this school year, I'm thinking that I won't continue to offer it.

My advice would be to think about how you would handle things like transportation, keeping kids quiet during naps, and entertaining multiple age groups, (indoors and out) and then decide if it's something you want to do.
Thriftylady 11:30 AM 12-27-2015
That is all I have, not by my planning but how it has worked out. My biggest issue is the noise as mine are loud. The other problem is that they can get pretty wild sometimes and I have to put down a smackdown so to speak. I mixed them with youngers before when I had daycare, and that is the hardest part. I want either all SA or all younger, I don't like to mix them.
Blackcat31 11:39 AM 12-27-2015
I took SA for 18 yrs.
I will NEVER take them again with a mixed age group.
nannyde 12:13 PM 12-27-2015
I hate that age group. They require way too much supervision, don't nap, and are very risky around each other and the babies.
Claraskids 02:52 PM 12-27-2015
Ironically I taught first and second grade for many years. I currently work with the third through fifth graders at my church. But you could not pay me enough to take SA as daycare kids!! I did it previously and quickly learned it wasn't a good set up.
I advertise that I take infants through four years old and I do not bend on that. When I redo my license next go around, I am seriously considering changing it to a infant/toddler specialty. That is definitely my niche and the age I love...even when they cry for long periods of time. Just have more tolerance for that than the constant need for entertainment.
Josiegirl 03:04 PM 12-27-2015
I love the SA IF I didn't have younger ones too. I love playing board and card games with them, being able to easily go on walks with them, some love to help in the kitchen or with other simple tasks. I have a hard time with the whiny dcks who only want to zone out on their ipads or constantly complain there's nothing to do or aren't mindful of the little ones' safety or needs. IOW, it all depends on the kids themselves. Last summer I had some of each and dearly miss the 2 dcgs who were like mini-moms.
BumbleBee 04:18 PM 12-27-2015
I have 3 SA dck's right now, ages 8, 10 & 12. The 8 year old helps out a ton (her choice) and enjoys playing with the younger kids.

The 10 & 12 year olds are another story altogether. They want all of my attention and will do just about anything to get it. They have plenty to do but if I'm not doing it with them they aren't happy.

I think it depends on the kid though. The 8 year old's mom is very strict and has high expectations. The 10 year old rules the roost and bosses her parents around. The 12 year old gets away with just about everything at home and she's extremely coddled.

If I could fill up with 5 and under I would but it hasn't happened yet. I think if I had a whole group of school agers OR a whole group of littles it wouldn't be so bad but trying to mesh the two groups is tough.
sharlan 04:41 PM 12-27-2015
IMHO, RUN as fast as you can the other way.

I will only take SA's that I've had for years prior to them starting school. Is, my grandkids.
MsLisa 11:06 AM 12-29-2015
I am the Group Supervisor of 22 SA kids at the Y.

It's hectic and loud.
They are dramatic, push your buttons and are full of energy.
They are all unique which always keeps you on your toes.
But I love them wayyyyyy more then anything under 5yrs old. I personally don't "bond" with little ones the way I do SA kids. It takes a lot of patience and the ability to "mom yell" (and not budge). I've noticed that being a mom to an 8yr old myself, makes me more tolerant to their shenanigans. It's certainly not for everyone.
Reply Up