Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nanny vs. Grandparents. HELP!
MsLisa 10:12 AM 10-19-2016
I'm a Nanny (again), but I have only 1 client and she's a Realtor, so it's as needed. Sadly it's very little and sporadic. She found me via my Craigslist ad and I wish there were more like her as she's the exact parent's I love to work for (albeit more hours please). And that's my problem....there's none. Or maybe they're hiding...heck if I know!

ANYWAY! My area just abuses and uses grandparents for childcare. Why? Because they're free! Why pay for good childcare when you can watch elderly people chase your toddlers around for free right? Can you guess this bugs the living tar out of me? I just can't break this invisible barrier around here! Like I know my niche and I'm well aware I'm working with a very small market/clientele. But I'm ridiculously determined to do what I love. I refuse to set foot in another center. So here I am...

I'm ready to bang out some new business cards or make another dang hoodie....advertise like I'm on the Las Vegas strip (sans strippers). Thinking about getting building blocks, putting my info on them and leaving them places. All that amazing creative stuff I make myself mental with, all over again. But should I even bother? What am I doing wrong? What's the angle I need to dangle to get these parent's to bite? Does anyone live in an area like mine?

Ladies, give me your wisdom! Your strength! Your clients....just kidding. Advice welcome!
LostMyMarbles 10:43 AM 10-19-2016
Grand parents can say no.

Use and abuse, maybe a little harsh. I have grandparents who WANT to be involved in their grand chidren's lives. I think if people are given the choice to have grand parents or a stranger care for their kids, they will pick grandparents hands down.

There is something really special about the bond between a grandchild and their grand parent.

I think your target audience is probably people who are transplanted to an area where they are separated from family. Try Facebook pages for advertising. Pages like, your area informed. And by your area, I mean the name of your town or the surrounding town. Also, care.com is a good place for nannies what about a nanny agency?
MsLisa 11:03 AM 10-19-2016
Originally Posted by LostMyMarbles:
Grand parents can say no.

Use and abuse, maybe a little harsh. I have grandparents who WANT to be involved in their grand children's lives. I think if people are given the choice to have grandparents or a stranger care for their kids, they will pick grandparents hands down.

There is something really special about the bond between a grandchild and their grandparent.

I think your target audience is probably people who are transplanted to an area where they are separated from family. Try Facebook pages for advertising. Pages like, your area informed. And by your area, I mean the name of your town or the surrounding town. Also, care.com is a good place for nannies what about a nanny agency?
Oh, I know that bond well, as I have parents-in-law who steal my kid every other weekend for sleepovers. As well as being friends with a few grandparents who do so. I didn't mean to put it as harshly as it sounded.
I just see too many barely able to keep up, let alone have patience for grandparents and it's frustrating to know that could have been a client. I know I can provide better care....but maybe that's my stubbornness and arrogance kicking in. But I digress...

You have a good point on those who aren't from the area originally. Some of my first clients were that and the Realtor is as well. How do you market to those parents? Adding FB groups to my list of advertising, thanks!
My 2nd type of parents seems to be the first-time mom's who don't want to stick their little bundles under 3 into a center just yet. That's why my tag is "A Mommy in Need, Needs a Nanny Indeed!". Catchy huh? Not doing me any good yet though. BAH!

PS. I'm on Care, been for 4yrs now. Even a premium member. 30+ applies and only 2 replies later....not worth it. No agencies within the area.
midaycare 11:14 AM 10-19-2016
I live in a very family oriented area where Grandparents are used a lot. I have 9 families, only 3 kids are full time. The rest fill in my gaps. Luckily it's always worked out where my spaces are all filled.

I agree with PP, find the transplants.

I don't know that higher end clientle use Craigslist for nannies? Not around here, anyway. Here it's like, "Oh man, they advertised on Craigslist, they most not be good". I also live in a very stuck up area
MsLisa 11:39 AM 10-19-2016
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I live in a very family oriented area where Grandparents are used a lot. I have 9 families, only 3 kids are full time. The rest fill in my gaps. Luckily it's always worked out where my spaces are all filled.

I agree with PP, find the transplants.

I don't know that higher end clientle use Craigslist for nannies? Not around here, anyway. Here it's like, "Oh man, they advertised on Craigslist, they most not be good". I also live in a very stuck up area
You strike a very good point, Craigslist isn't exactly the highest level when it comes to it. But then how does one advertise then when they don't have a high level of word of mouth networking (yet)? I can make a website again. I am debating on business cards. Funds are limited though.

I'm to the point where I'm looking at this Nanny certification on enanny to see if that would be worth it. It's 60 bucks though and would it even matter to parents? I can't help but feel like i'm rowing against a current but I can't see myself doing anything else.
LadyMacbeth 11:43 AM 10-19-2016
I'm wondering if restructuring your program as more of a day school will support the cultural trend in your area. Many moms or dads that stay home with their kids still want them to receive some sort of instruction so that they can ease into the idea of school. It would make sense, therefore, that if grandma or grandpa are watching the kids, the parents would still love for a monday/wednesday, tuesday/thursday type program. It may even be to your advantage. You can schedule your preschool class from 9-2, and if you want some extra income, you would still have time for a before school and after school program for elementary age children.

Obviously, do research to see if this is a service your community would want. Best of luck to you
LostMyMarbles 11:45 AM 10-19-2016
I would reach out to bigger cities or those who commute to bigger cities for work. In my area, people don't use nannies. It's easier to pay 4-4.50 an hour than 12-15 for a nanny. Just another suggestion.

You sound like a fun person with a sense of humor. Try letting it show in your ad.
Pestle 11:49 AM 10-19-2016
I'd think it has more to do with the kind of economy in the area--do kids move away for college and never come back? Then they can't rely on grandparents for child care. Or is this one of the cities that actually has jobs and is drawing the young adults? Then, again, not a lot of grandparents to provide care. But if you're in a region where the kids stay close to home, grandparents are a competitive option. Hey, most of us, if we had to work 8-5 in an office, would be sorely tempted to use Grandma's house vs. dedicating 1/4-1/3 of our paychecks to professional care.

I live in the Bible Belt, where kids are taught to get married in order to have sex. (Anybody see that "King of the Hill" episode where Luane wants to get it on with her new boyfriend, so they decide to get married? Yeah; it's like that.) So many working families have grandparents in their late 30s/early 40s--nowhere near retirement age. There are actually GREAT-grandparents around here who do the child care!
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 12:41 PM 10-19-2016
I live between to military bases in a remote area. I think every family here is looking for you! I only have a few families, and still moonlight for some of my previous (well and current) families on the occasional weekend.

...suggestion move to a remote area near a military base! hahahaha

Oddly enough (and it may just be because of this area) I've found clients on facebook groups. People post in a variety of groups here looking for this type of care all the time. So basically I find them, not just them finding me
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 12:48 PM 10-19-2016
Also advertise with phrases like "can support breastfeeding mom", "willing to cloth diaper", "flexible scheduling"... though I know a lot daycare programs can do those things, putting it in your ad can help attract a different type of client (even if they don't want any of those things). If you're looking to have services more toward "nanny" than daycare, definitely highlight it in your ad. I got my last family with an ad titled "Nanny style care, day care prices"
cassiesue 01:00 PM 10-19-2016
I agree with those that suggested using Facebook as a way to get clients. I have been in business a little longer than a year. I currently have 7 children from 3 families. I have gotten all of my clients from Facebook. I don't have a lot of free time, but generally my clients will suggest me to those posting on our area Facebook shopper type groups.

Competition is tough in my area. There are a lot of people here that advertise for $50 per week per child. I cannot compete with that price wise, so I had to create my own niche. So I agree with the poster that suggested using various phrases to separate you from the rest. One way I am able to attract clients is I am open 24/7. This works for parents that work at an area manufacturing plant that requires them to switch shifts every 2 weeks. Very few centers/home childcares offer around the clock care.

Your reputation will also net you clients as well. Someday someone will ask your mom who provides her child care and you can get a family from that. Good luck in your quest!!!
Heart12 01:29 PM 10-19-2016
I know your frustration because I too, have been doing child care for so many years & I know what I have to offer! I'm having the same issue in my area with getting children 2yrs & up in my program. Big name preschools are swallowing these clients up like crazy & its been hard for a fairly new provider like myself.

Like other posters have said, care.com & fb groups have worked for me for filling my infant spots. There is also sittercity.com. One thing that I saw on this forum that I was going to try this year is putting my business cards in the treat bags that Im giving out on Halloween! Also, since you are already working for a realtor, maybe you could ask her to include your business cards in the welcome packages for her new clients? The realtor knows first hand just how great you are & what you have to offer! Other than that, all I can suggest is to just keep pushing through, checking those sites everyday, talking about your business to any & everyone & I'm sure you will have clients in no time!!!
MsLisa 02:58 PM 10-19-2016
Originally Posted by Heart12:
I know your frustration because I too, have been doing child care for so many years & I know what I have to offer! I'm having the same issue in my area with getting children 2yrs & up in my program. Big name preschools are swallowing these clients up like crazy & its been hard for a fairly new provider like myself.

Like other posters have said, care.com & fb groups have worked for me for filling my infant spots. There is also sittercity.com. One thing that I saw on this forum that I was going to try this year is putting my business cards in the treat bags that Im giving out on Halloween! Also, since you are already working for a realtor, maybe you could ask her to include your business cards in the welcome packages for her new clients? The realtor knows first hand just how great you are & what you have to offer! Other than that, all I can suggest is to just keep pushing through, checking those sites everyday, talking about your business to any & everyone & I'm sure you will have clients in no time!!!
ALAS! You ladies are epic as always!
((drinks excessively from the knowledge cup))

I have now join a few groups on FB, as I found the ones other childcare providers () put theirs in within my area. Just need to come up with that ad. Should I link it to my personal page (which is rather empty) or start a business one?

@Pestle, I live in the area where your lucky if your child moves out of your house at all. OR they move within blocks, sometimes houses away from each other. Our elderly literally take over my area and are still at home at very high ages. Every one my age or younger runs out of here as ASAP.

@Heart12, BRILLIANT IDEAS! I am on sittercity and that's a ghost town for area (not as well known i guess). But the trick or treat thing & realtor things are brilliant. Why don't I think of this!? I'm a little shy to ask her, being we just met a month ago...but she is really chill so, looks like i'm buying some business cards.

Alright, I feel that. You feel that? Yeah...wheels are turning...mojo is brewing...back to the drawing board!!
kendallina 05:40 PM 10-19-2016
Lots of great ideas already...another thought is to advertise as a "Mom's Day Out" program. Offer a Monday/Wednesday morning 'class' for those parents or grandparents that need a break or need to run errands. Parents will love it especially if you offer certain activities during that time (for older kids).
MsLisa 07:18 AM 10-20-2016
Originally Posted by kendallina:
Lots of great ideas already...another thought is to advertise as a "Mom's Day Out" program. Offer a Monday/Wednesday morning 'class' for those parents or grandparents that need a break or need to run errands. Parents will love it especially if you offer certain activities during that time (for older kids).
Wow! That's such a great idea!! Thank you so much.
Gosh I missed you ladies. You all know how to kick me back in gear.
Reply Up