Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What So You Consider Diarrhea In An Infant?
ihop 04:21 PM 10-08-2013
I suppose I should know but bad colds have been going around and I have a ten week old who is having a lots of bms in the last couple days. I have only had her a few weeks so I'm not entirely sure what is the norm for her.

she is BF so her poops are very loose already.just more gas and grunting. She's 99degrees today and I have changed 3 bm diapers in the last hour. She is happy and comfortable so I'm not sure if I should consider it diarrhea or just a lot if bms.

Opinions? TIA.
Sunshine75 04:26 PM 10-08-2013
BF babies diapers have a tendency to run a little more watery. It is also not uncommon to have more than one BM when they are teething which may be going on since she also has a low grade temp. My little guy gets several bm's a day when he is getting a tooth. Earlier when he was not on food yet they would be watery but now they are getting more solid.
Cradle2crayons 04:29 PM 10-08-2013
Originally Posted by ihop:
I suppose I should know but bad colds have been going around and I have a ten week old who is having a lots of bms in the last couple days. I have only had her a few weeks so I'm not entirely sure what is the norm for her.

she is BF so her poops are very loose already.just more gas and grunting. She's 99degrees today and I have changed 3 bm diapers in the last hour. She is happy and comfortable so I'm not sure if I should consider it diarrhea or just a lot if bms.

Opinions? TIA.
Since the child is 10 weeks is it possible the child has recently had vaccinations? They typically do them around 8 weeks and that oral vax against rotavirus causes LOTS of stools for a few weeks afterwards.

Other than that, bf babies tend to have more frequent and looser stools. But I'd ask mom about vaccinations
ihop 04:33 PM 10-08-2013
I don't think she has had vax yet but I will check. Today she had 6bmand yesterday 7. Definitely no teething yet (thank God). I will check with dcm. Thanks
Cradle2crayons 04:50 PM 10-08-2013
Originally Posted by ihop:
I don't think she has had vax yet but I will check. Today she had 6bmand yesterday 7. Definitely no teething yet (thank God). I will check with dcm. Thanks
Typical breast fed babies, in my care can have one bm an hour which could be 6-9 while here.

Id just keep an eye on it. But, if the parents vax, the infant was due at 8 weeks.

Are you required to keep vax records?
Heidi 04:50 PM 10-08-2013
Some of my BF infants have had a BM for every bottle, basically. Much more a liquid than a solid.
Sunshine75 05:08 PM 10-08-2013
One way you usually know is if the bm's are starting to cause a rash. That is more common with diarrhea than it is watery bm's, especially with BF babies.
Lil'DinoEggs 05:35 PM 10-08-2013
My policy with all the kids is out of the diaper twice. I haven't had it yet, but I figured when it happens to a fully potty trained child, if they can't make it to the potty the first time, they go home. Diarrhea or not, if it can't be controlled then it is spreading germs to other kids.
Leigh 05:45 PM 10-08-2013
If stools are mostly water, I call that diarrhea. With kids that you've had in care for a while, it's much easier to determine when something is off, but more than one watery stool is what I consider diarrhea.
Tags:diarrhea, infant - diarrhea
Reply Up