Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Another Tiered Payscale Question
Indoorvoice 04:32 AM 03-29-2017
I have a tiered payscale and one family pays for the latest time but picks up anywhere from 2 hours early to right on time. It's a surprise every day. They mostly pick up early though. This week the mom is home and she picked up 15 minutes early on Monday and then asked if she could pick up an hour and 15 minutes early the rest of the week to which I said of course. They pay for the current week this Friday. I'm wondering if I should give her the reduced rate for the earlier pick up time even though she didn't tell me the week before like my contract states. Maybe it would encourage her to have a more consistent pick up time in the future? She did not ask me to reduce the rate if that makes a difference. Frankly I don't think she cares how much she pays as I'm considerably cheaper than her last daycare. What would you do?
Blackcat31 06:36 AM 03-29-2017
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
I have a tiered payscale and one family pays for the latest time but picks up anywhere from 2 hours early to right on time. It's a surprise every day. They mostly pick up early though. This week the mom is home and she picked up 15 minutes early on Monday and then asked if she could pick up an hour and 15 minutes early the rest of the week to which I said of course. They pay for the current week this Friday. I'm wondering if I should give her the reduced rate for the earlier pick up time even though she didn't tell me the week before like my contract states. Maybe it would encourage her to have a more consistent pick up time in the future? She did not ask me to reduce the rate if that makes a difference. Frankly I don't think she cares how much she pays as I'm considerably cheaper than her last daycare. What would you do?
If you allow her to have the reduced rate for that week, she may think that she is always allowed to switch the weekly rate around whenever she feels like it. Unless you allow that, I wouldn't reduce anything BUT I would encourage her to pick up earlier.

I'd straight up ask her if she'd be willing to amend her contracted pick up time so that you can be done earlier.
Showing up earlier even though she schedules until close isn't the same thing...you cant plan anything that way.

If she is able to, then she should be picking up early. If she still pays the latest time and doesnt seem to care then my immediate thoughts are that she does not want to spend the extra time with her kid(s) and nothing you do will encourage her to do so OR your rate difference between the fees you charge for earlier pick up and later pick up are not enough to "encourage" her.
Snowmom 06:40 AM 03-29-2017
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
Am I understanding that you are not a "pay before you stay" provider?
Since your contract states she needs to tell you in advance, I wouldn't discount anything. But yes, as BC suggested, I would mention her schedule and ask if she needs to update her contract.
daycare 06:46 AM 03-29-2017
I agree. I wouldn't open that can of worms. I allowed something similar to take place with one of my families and it was a nightmare. One rate, all week every week.

What I would do is say tot he dcm, sally, I have noticed that you are picking up an hour earlier every day. Would you like to save $xx every week and change your contracted pick up time? The. Just let her answer.

I did this and got to close earlier every Friday.
Indoorvoice 06:49 AM 03-29-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If you allow her to have the reduced rate for that week, she may think that she is always allowed to switch the weekly rate around whenever she feels like it. Unless you allow that, I wouldn't reduce anything BUT I would encourage her to pick up earlier.

I'd straight up ask her if she'd be willing to amend her contracted pick up time so that you can be done earlier.
Showing up earlier even though she schedules until close isn't the same thing...you cant plan anything that way.

If she is able to, then she should be picking up early. If she still pays the latest time and doesnt seem to care then my immediate thoughts are that she does not want to spend the extra time with her kid(s) and nothing you do will encourage her to do so OR your rate difference between the fees you charge for earlier pick up and later pick up are not enough to "encourage" her.
I have asked her before and she said she wanted to just pay for the later time "just in case". I think you're right that my rates are not enough of an encouragement and she would rather pay a little more a week than risk my late fees. Smart of her, dumb of me I only have 2 families right and the latest I work is 5 so I'm not super stressed about it, but it's definitely something to figure out before adding new families. I am not going to reduce the rate and if she asks that will be a good time to discuss why.
Indoorvoice 06:51 AM 03-29-2017
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
Am I understanding that you are not a "pay before you stay" provider?
Since your contract states she needs to tell you in advance, I wouldn't discount anything. But yes, as BC suggested, I would mention her schedule and ask if she needs to update her contract.
No I'm not! These families have been with me since before I knew better Luckily I have never been burned *knock on wood* and they are all pretty respectful and really good about paying on time. I have learned the ways though and plan on pay before stay for any new families.
Reply Up