Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New 9 Month Old Help
midaycare 06:34 AM 09-01-2017
Have a new dcg, just turned 9 months. Stage 5 clinger.

Dcm and dcd said she only took 2 twenty minute naps at the other daycare she was at. I am seeing similar results. When you put her down she wails like nothing you have heard. If you even reach towards her, all wailing stops.

I'm not generally a cry it out person. And I'm pretty sure this baby would win that battle.

1) Is this child co-sleeping at home? I'm not asking parents, they won't be honest.
2) Advice on next steps. I start 4 new kids on Tuesday. Luckily I will also have an assistant but...2 of the newbies are also younger ones. Eeks.
Love 08:22 AM 09-01-2017
Ive had to let certain kids cry it out, and eventually they got the hint, stopped crying, and went to sleep. Now when its nap time they know crying wont work. Took a month for one of them to finally get it! I had to be strong and stick it out. It was hard lol.
Ariana 09:04 AM 09-01-2017
Cry it out is the only option trust me. And yes they are either cosleeping or there is some cruch they are engaging in at home. Do they or you use a sound machine? This might help too. Turn it up really loud.

Cry it out takes less than a week in my experience and the benefits far outweigh the discomfort.
midaycare 09:33 AM 09-01-2017
They use a noise machine - I forget what setting. I use either rain sounds or a fan. I have good luck with rain sounds with tough ones, but was thinking of switching it up today.

What does cry it out look like to you guys?

TIA!
Ariana 09:44 AM 09-01-2017
Originally Posted by midaycare:
They use a noise machine - I forget what setting. I use either rain sounds or a fan. I have good luck with rain sounds with tough ones, but was thinking of switching it up today.

What does cry it out look like to you guys?

TIA!
Basically put the baby down when you think is best and leave them until you think nap time is over. If you have a video monitor you can check to make sure all is ok but have nothing in the crib. I usually go in and check them every 15 minutes if they are under 18 months old. Some kids are ok with a back rub or soothing words, some kids go crazy so I adjust based on the kid. For example I might go in, lie the kid down, rub their back and say "night night" and leave. Some kids I go in and check without saying or doing anything. I wouldn't leave them without a video monitor or some way to make sure they are ok. Once they are quiet I go in quietly to check them again. Sometimes they can fall asleep in unsafe positions so I will move them. They might wake up but that is why it is a process. Basically you are not getting them up because they are crying, you get them up because the nap time is over.

The morning nap might be a bust but make sure to not get him up until the nap time is over. He will eventually learn that crying does not equal nap being over.

I had one 12 month old who cried for over an hour and going in made things way worse. He was only with me for 2 days a week so I knew I couldn't really train him. I got a video monitor and let him cry until he fell asleep and then let him sleep for as long as he needed. The mom said she was ok with it so I did what I had to do
midaycare 10:26 AM 09-01-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Basically put the baby down when you think is best and leave them until you think nap time is over. If you have a video monitor you can check to make sure all is ok but have nothing in the crib. I usually go in and check them every 15 minutes if they are under 18 months old. Some kids are ok with a back rub or soothing words, some kids go crazy so I adjust based on the kid. For example I might go in, lie the kid down, rub their back and say "night night" and leave. Some kids I go in and check without saying or doing anything. I wouldn't leave them without a video monitor or some way to make sure they are ok. Once they are quiet I go in quietly to check them again. Sometimes they can fall asleep in unsafe positions so I will move them. They might wake up but that is why it is a process. Basically you are not getting them up because they are crying, you get them up because the nap time is over.

The morning nap might be a bust but make sure to not get him up until the nap time is over. He will eventually learn that crying does not equal nap being over.

I had one 12 month old who cried for over an hour and going in made things way worse. He was only with me for 2 days a week so I knew I couldn't really train him. I got a video monitor and let him cry until he fell asleep and then let him sleep for as long as he needed. The mom said she was ok with it so I did what I had to do
Thank you!
Indoorvoice 05:04 PM 09-01-2017
I have done a gradual CIO in the past with a few babies. I basically start out the first week of staying near the pnp and soothing them when they cry, but not picking them up. Basically letting them know I'm there, but it's rest time. Then the next week I switch to laying them down and staying near for 5 minutes and then leaving. Yes, they freak out. I let them cry for 5,then go back in and soothe, and leave again. The next week I leave for longer periods. They get used to the fact that I'm not abandoning them, but not getting them up either. I also stole the idea from someone on here to play music when nap time is over so that the music signals the end of nap, not the crying. This works like a charm! I found a projector mobile that turns on via remote that I use and it's amazing!
Reply Up