Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Renting A House For My Daycare
Recie 01:16 PM 03-29-2012
I ask this question because i havent quite came across what i was looking for.

I havent yet opened but i plan on renting a seperate house to have my daycare. Has anyone else done this? What were some of the challenges you faced and when did you quit your current (or then) job?
Meeko 01:30 PM 03-29-2012
First of all...you need to find out if it's legal.

Blackcat and I both do day care in a separate home. In her state, she can do it and that is her business only building.

In my state, somebody must actually LIVE in the family day care home and they must be the licensee. It worked out for us, because our son wanted some space to himself, so we moved out of the day care home, he turned two rooms into his place and the rest of the home is now a day care. He helps me out and he is actually now the licensee as it's his home.

If we had not used this arrangement, I couldn't have done it. We would have had to be licensed as a center which is a different ball of wax altogether......zoned differently by the city etc....sprinkler system required, parking area etc etc. Not possible at our location.

So check your licensing requirements and your city codes before you do anything!
Recie 01:35 PM 03-29-2012
yikes! i surely hope i wont be met with that!!! but ill surely check
Christian Mother 01:59 PM 03-29-2012
I was wondering the same at one time bc we just got approved for our short sale on the house and while we where going through it we where looking at renting and being able to do daycare but for us...we will be living in the rental while also doing daycare. In AZ you need to get permission for the landlord and carry renters ins. and also separate ins. for the daycare. I haven't found any problems with this all of the places I have asked about all came back that daycare would not be a problem if we rented from them. So, I would say ck with the state as each state is diff. I have no ideal what az has as far as renting just for daycare purposes.
Recie 02:01 PM 03-29-2012
i believe here in Oklahoma we can, but ill still be checking to make sure and hopefully landlord will be alright with it.

ill be so disapointed if i cant.
Blackcat31 02:08 PM 03-29-2012
Originally Posted by Recie:
I ask this question because i havent quite came across what i was looking for.

I havent yet opened but i plan on renting a seperate house to have my daycare. Has anyone else done this? What were some of the challenges you faced and when did you quit your current (or then) job?
I have run my daycare out of a separate home since the day I opened. I wouldn't do it any other way! (makes tax time a breeze too!...no time/space percentages to figure)

BIG kudos to the ladies (and gents) that do this from their homes. I could NEVER do that!

I don't think I really faced any challenges that were unique to doing things at a separate location other than the regular things all new providers face such as getting a good client base, and organizing what toys, equipment and materials to have.

If you have any specific questions though...feel free to ask. I will glady help if I can.
Recie 02:14 PM 03-29-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have run my daycare out of a separate home since the day I opened. I wouldn't do it any other way! (makes tax time a breeze too!...no time/space percentages to figure)

BIG kudos to the ladies (and gents) that do this from their homes. I could NEVER do that!

I don't think I really faced any challenges that were unique to doing things at a separate location other than the regular things all new providers face such as getting a good client base, and organizing what toys, equipment and materials to have.

If you have any specific questions though...feel free to ask. I will glady help if I can.
thank you so much (you may regret extending that offer j/k) but im so excited and nervous at the same time so i want to try and find out ALL i can. i dont htink id be able to have the bussiness actually ran out of my personal space. IMO the seperation work/home would be nonexistant. but thats just me

so yes a big KUDOS goes out to you all that do it!
Tags:rental, renting, separate building for daycare, separate house for business, use a rental house
Reply Up