Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>10 Degrees
AnythingsPossible 09:20 AM 01-16-2013
It's 10 degree's outside. Would you take your kids out or no? I am so tired of being couped up inside They all have gloves, hats, coats all that fun stuff. Opinions??
littlemissmuffet 09:46 AM 01-16-2013
Of course! We don't keep kids inside unless it's colder than -4f/-20c!
SquirrellyMama 09:47 AM 01-16-2013
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:
It's 10 degree's outside. Would you take your kids out or no? I am so tired of being couped up inside They all have gloves, hats, coats all that fun stuff. Opinions??
I would but maybe not for a long time. Get them out for some fresh air.

Kelly
AllDeezBabies 09:47 AM 01-16-2013
10???

I wouldn't even take myself out

This would be the day the kids and I sip on hot cocoa.

I can't wait until we finally get snow. I want hot cocoa..<----Totally irrelevant, sorry
Willow 10:18 AM 01-16-2013
10 degrees would be a nope for me.

At least for younger kids.

The risk of frostbite would just be too high, especially in children who are too young to adequately express if their appendages were entering even the late stages.

Older kids in say Omni-Tech Columbia gear would be a different story.

Wanted to add this link:
http://hennepin.us/files/HennepinUS/...ber%202009.pdf

The weather chart here on daycare.com is great, the one in the above link is fantastic too. 10 degrees with even no wind chill per their chart indicates dangerous conditions and specifies most children should not be outside due to the risks to their health.
itlw8 10:24 AM 01-16-2013
I am going to say no but in Missouri few kids wear snow suits. Proper gear and the sind is not blowing. I would say sure go ahead 10 15 minutes Heck even here with out snow pants 5 minutes out the door to jump or run won't hurt anyone.
nothingwithoutjoy 10:37 AM 01-16-2013
I would. Not much keeps me in--freezing rain for several days in a row until I can't stand one more second of it is pretty much my cut-off. But cold? I layer them up really well, shorten our time out there, and keep them active.
boysx5 11:00 AM 01-16-2013
I'm a whimp I hate the cold so I would say no
mamac 11:23 AM 01-16-2013
Originally Posted by AllDeezBabies:
I can't wait until we finally get snow. I want hot cocoa..<----Totally irrelevant, sorry
What's your address? I could mail you some!! We just got a few inches here last night and this morning. Since I don't have any DCK's yet I ended up sending my kids to grammy's while I plowed all morning. Then I came home and shoveled my 75' driveway. Sooooo much fun.

But I did come in and have some hot cocoa!
MamaBearCanada 11:30 AM 01-16-2013
Yes! Kids here play out at school unless it's -17 to -20 degrees So 10 degrees seems mild to me We are in full snow gear in the winter though. If we didn't go out when it was below 10 we'd be inside way too much! Littles I don't take out for more than a few minutes when it's below freezing and I would t take them out at -20 but they do at school.
AllDeezBabies 01:01 PM 01-16-2013
Originally Posted by mamac:
What's your address? I could mail you some!! We just got a few inches here last night and this morning. Since I don't have any DCK's yet I ended up sending my kids to grammy's while I plowed all morning. Then I came home and shoveled my 75' driveway. Sooooo much fun.

But I did come in and have some hot cocoa!
Of course there's some sort of fantasy snow island that doesn't include shoveling snow and omits the word "driveway" and plowing

I bet that hot cocoa made it all worth it in the end
Willow 01:56 PM 01-16-2013
Of course there's some sort of fantasy snow island that doesn't include shoveling snow and omits the word "driveway" and plowing

My kids got "grow your own magic snow" for Christmas this year because their Aunt and Uncle went up to the North Pole Alaska on vacation. They have a Santa's village there and it was too cool a thing to pass up lol

I was hoping they'd make it this summer sometime but they just couldn't wait. A tiny scoop of powder added to 2 ounces of water floofed into a pie Pyrex full. We were instantly hooked so we dumped most of the rest of the package into a tote and made it up. I isn't messy, has been a phenomenal sensory bin because it can squish, compact but then fluff right back up again and it has stayed cold the entire two weeks we've had it made up

It's no island but a nice inexpensive indoor mini alternative!
Blackcat31 03:04 PM 01-16-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
My kids got "grow your own magic snow" for Christmas this year because their Aunt and Uncle went up to the North Pole Alaska on vacation. They have a Santa's village there and it was too cool a thing to pass up lol

I was hoping they'd make it this summer sometime but they just couldn't wait. A tiny scoop of powder added to 2 ounces of water floofed into a pie Pyrex full. We were instantly hooked so we dumped most of the rest of the package into a tote and made it up. I isn't messy, has been a phenomenal sensory bin because it can squish, compact but then fluff right back up again and it has stayed cold the entire two weeks we've had it made up

Is it like this? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCEFT&P=BF

You can actually make your own snow for the kids.

All you need to do to make this type of fake snow is add water to the sodium polyacrylate. Add some water, mix the gel. Add more water until you have the desired amount of wetness. The gel will not dissolve. It's just a matter of how 'slushy' you want your snow.

Sodium polyacrylate 'snow' feels cool to the touch because it is mainly water. If you want to add more realism to the fake snow, you can refrigerate or freeze it. The gel will not melt. If it dries out, you can rehydrate it by adding water.

Sodium polyacrylate is the gel substance you find in disposable diapers

http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemis...t/fakesnow.htm
Willow 03:58 PM 01-16-2013
That's exactly what it is!!!

The kids' stuff is labeled "North Pole Alaska Snow To Go" but the ingredient says sodium polyacrylate.

I like that it said it's non-toxic, non-hazardous and environmentally safe

Only took about half the package (20 grams) to fill a small tote!
Abigail 04:10 PM 01-16-2013
10 degrees feels totally different depending where you live. If your down south you wouldn't consider it and if you're up north it's not "that bad". I follow our local recommendations of 20 degrees or warmer. My youngest under 18 months don't go out unless it is 20 for sure, but if it's about 15 or even 10 I will let the 18 months on up go out for 15 minutes. We all have snow pants and winter gear or they would not be going out. I have the joy of having a helper who brings them outside. I've only gone outside 2 times in the last 4-6 weeks because my helper takes out the bigs and I stay in with the littles. Pregnancy does have some perks to it! LOL
mamac 07:11 PM 01-16-2013

That and the fact I had my two little ones "helping" with the driveway. No school today so I had them both home with me.
VTMom 04:57 AM 01-17-2013
Originally Posted by Abigail:
10 degrees feels totally different depending where you live. If your down south you wouldn't consider it and if you're up north it's not "that bad". I follow our local recommendations of 20 degrees or warmer. My youngest under 18 months don't go out unless it is 20 for sure, but if it's about 15 or even 10 I will let the 18 months on up go out for 15 minutes. We all have snow pants and winter gear or they would not be going out. I have the joy of having a helper who brings them outside. I've only gone outside 2 times in the last 4-6 weeks because my helper takes out the bigs and I stay in with the littles. Pregnancy does have some perks to it! LOL
Same here (although our recommended low is 15'). If they're mobile in snow and snowsuits, I'll take them out. I'd skip it for the little ones though.
AllDeezBabies 06:14 AM 01-17-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:

That sounds SOOOO cool. I want one!!! *goes go Google*
AllDeezBabies 06:15 AM 01-17-2013
Originally Posted by mamac:
That and the fact I had my two little ones "helping" with the driveway. No school today so I had them both home with me.
Awwww little hands "helping" are always the best. I bet this was the best day ever for them
Reply Up