Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Urgent Newborn Help
Unregistered 10:09 AM 08-22-2016
I have a 3 month old that started today. Love the family and I'm looking forward to working with them. BUT...dcg is breastfed and I was super clear that baby had to be able to take a bottle. I was assured they were working on it daily, and dcm said baby took a bottle for dad, but not for her.

Baby has been here for 6 hours and is starving...every time I put a bottle near her mouth, she acts like she has no clue what it is. Like she's never sucked one before in her little life.

I'm calling for pickup, but what do I tell dcm? Do Iblet dcg return tomorrow, or say, "Hey, let's try again next week?"
daycarediva 10:15 AM 08-22-2016
I would want dcm to give the baby a bottle in front of you. She needs to be nipple trained! I would NOT allow a newborn to starve all day because dcp's didn't put the work in!
happymom 10:19 AM 08-22-2016
Tell her to have dad come show you how he feeds her the bottle. If she doesn't take a bottle for mom (some babies won't), dad needs to come.

This family needs to PROVE to you that she will take a bottle.
MommyMuffin 10:19 AM 08-22-2016
I would call mom and explain what is going on.
Blackcat31 10:21 AM 08-22-2016
Originally Posted by happymom:

This family needs to PROVE to you that she will take a bottle.
THIS!

Someone needs to show you the child is capable of taking a bottle.

I would tell mom you will try but will not keep a hungry baby and will call for pick up after X number of hours.

My limit is 3 hours. If baby won't eat after 3 hours, I call for pick up.
Unregistered 10:37 AM 08-22-2016
Ugh. I just talked to dcm. Sounds like baby wasn't as successful taking a bottle for dcd as they pretended. I called for pickup, but I will tell her I am implementing the 3 hour rule BC mentioned.

Just ugh again. My job is hard enough. A poor, helpless baby crying because it won't eat is enough to drive me to tears. Or drink. Whatever.
sharlan 11:00 AM 08-22-2016
BTDT, never again. If I ever take another infant, I will make the parents prove the child will take a full bottle feeding.
Conoad 12:20 PM 08-22-2016
Ugh! This happened to me. They never gave her a bottle before her first day. I tried for weeks and after calling every day for picked, termed them.
LysesKids 07:15 PM 08-22-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a 3 month old that started today. Love the family and I'm looking forward to working with them. BUT...dcg is breastfed and I was super clear that baby had to be able to take a bottle. I was assured they were working on it daily, and dcm said baby took a bottle for dad, but not for her.

Baby has been here for 6 hours and is starving...every time I put a bottle near her mouth, she acts like she has no clue what it is. Like she's never sucked one before in her little life.

I'm calling for pickup, but what do I tell dcm? Do Iblet dcg return tomorrow, or say, "Hey, let's try again next week?"
I have a written policy that an infant needs to take a bottle for at least 2 weeks before starting here... I also advise that they have someone besides mom or dad help train baby because that will get a child use to different people feeding her... if baby won't take a bottle for me before first day, I say see you next week & after that It's term without refund of prepaid fees... I don't play games (I'm an infant only childcare home)
Unregistered 06:05 AM 08-23-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I have a written policy that an infant needs to take a bottle for at least 2 weeks before starting here... I also advise that they have someone besides mom or dad help train baby because that will get a child use to different people feeding her... if baby won't take a bottle for me before first day, I say see you next week & after that It's term without refund of prepaid fees... I don't play games (I'm an infant only childcare home)
Infant only is an interesting concept. I'm curious how you do this. Your ratios are probably different, but where I live, you can only have 2 under 12 months, and 4 under 30 months.
LysesKids 06:32 PM 08-23-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Infant only is an interesting concept. I'm curious how you do this. Your ratios are probably different, but where I live, you can only have 2 under 12 months, and 4 under 30 months.
All 5 are 17 months or younger right now (2 under 12 months, 3 are 13-16 months); TN considers an infant to be 0-15 months & toddler 16-30 months... I am legally allowed 4 at anytime regardless of being licensed or licensed exempt because I do specialize in the youngest charges (3 are FT, 2 are PT sharing one spot)...
nanglgrl 11:03 AM 08-24-2016
In Iowa an unregistered provider could have 5 infants if she wanted. Unregistered is allowed 5 children but they can be any age...registered can only have 3 under 18 months with a total of 4 under 24 months. Go figure. :/

Not to hijack but I've taken my last baby. I only accept children 8 months or older but am now switching that yo a year or older. I stopped taking babies maybe 10 years ago and then 3 years ago helped out a family that was in dire need and she was a perfect angel and they were wonderful. Then I took another baby. Not nipple trained, formula trained (EBE but mom didn't want to pump) or sleep trained. I termed. Then another baby who was very fussy but not too unusual but mom was constantly helicoptering...wanting to know what activities her 6 month old was doing and why the baby wasn't doing circle time or why he was laying off to the side (tummy time) while the toddlers were playing. Termed after one too many after hours "conferences" with her. Then the recent one. Family is very nice and baby is awesome...When he's being held. 8 months old and sleeps a total of 40-90 minutes a day, is happy/content for another 90 minutes a day and screams the rest of it. 32 pounds so I can't carry him around nor would I. He does drink from a bottle just fine though. Mom offered a rock n' play for him to sleep in because that's what he does at home but I can't do that. Also said they had to adjust the leg holes on his bouncer because of his chunky thighs but then he loved it. Not cutting the holes larger and thus making it a liability. Apparently he's not like this at home or t grandmas but it's evident when I pick him up and he immediately stops crying or put him down and he immediately starts crying that he's held more than the norm. His last day is Friday.
The thing is that I explained very clearly in every one of these interviews that children must be able to sleep on their backs, with no toys in a crib. That they must be able to take a bottle. That I can't hold them all day as I have other children to care for. I don't know why they don't listen. I don't know if they think I will enjoy the money more than I dislike the screaming or what. It doesn't matter when I tell them that if these things don't happen they will be terminated. I give them 2 weeks. After the first week I tell them the next week is their last unless I see change but they don't even try to change. I just get suggestions on how they do it at home and ignored when telling them I can't do those things here either because of regulations or because I'm not a nanny.
So that's my vent and my hijack I guess. When I take an infant I only take one at a time so I can give them that extra care but parents seem to think it means I can tend to their child all day. I'm tired of fighting it when I easily stay full with preschoolers. I would have loved to find a family/child like the one I cared for years ago so I could help (infant care is hard to find here) but it's become too much. On Friday I'm selling my baby gear. All of it. And the hubby is fixed this time so I don't have to be afraid that as soon as I sell it I will get pregnant. Lol
Tags:newborn
Reply Up