Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Repetitive Topic
Josiegirl 03:02 AM 12-16-2017
Gifts from us to parents
I haven't done anything.
I usually bake quick breads or give plates of cookies. But I haven't started baking anything yet. I'm not sure if I'm going to either but feel guilty for not doing anything at all. It feels like all my dcps are either trying to live a healthier lifestyle or it feels like I'm giving so little in return for what they give to me or the dc.
I don't have the money, time or motivation to put together family baskets, or do family gifts, or anything else now. The dcks are getting gifts from me, the parents are getting handmade gifts from their kiddos.
I may still give quick breads if I can get my act together. But it doesn't feel good to me. KWIM?
I know this topic has come around again and again. But I've waited too long this year. Usually I have my freezer stocked with treats to share. This year...nada.
Ariana 03:38 AM 12-16-2017
I give wine to good families and this year because the family I have are really great I am giving two movie tickets, chocolates and wine. I would give a family movie pass but she has mentioned that she cannot get her kids to sit through a theatre movie.

I enjoy the idea of personal handmade gifts but I just don’t have the time or the talent to really put it together. I am finding, as it is, all I am doing is running around shopping for other people.
lovemykidstoo 09:41 AM 12-16-2017
I have never done anything for my parents. I do projects with the kids and they also make 1 homemade Christmas gift for them and we wrap it. I do buy the kids something for about $10 each. I have 9 sets of parents right now, I could never be able to afford it and honestly, I don't want to have to start that tradition with them.
Indoorvoice 10:53 AM 12-16-2017
I only give parents gifts from their kids. We make plates from Makit.com and we make really easy treats the day before to put on the plates. I think that's plenty. I don't make enough to buy nice gifts for the parents from me. I spent almost $60 on the plates and haven't bought the ingredients for the treats yet so I think that's pretty generous.
PB&J 03:50 PM 12-16-2017
I’m using an idea from cometogetherkids.com (2/1/11 post abt artwork candles). Kids draw simple holiday scenes with markers on light tissue paper and then the heat from a blow dryer “melts” it onto a candle! For the babies, I drew a Christmas tree and used stamp pads to decorate it with their fingerprints (using stamp pads). I wrote “Bobbie’s Precious Prints Christmas 2017” on the tissue paper.
We got pillar candles and tissue paper from the dollar store and used the markers and stamp pads already on-hand. The candles are usable, but can be keepsakes.
LK5kids 05:12 AM 12-18-2017
I've never given parents a gift. Same as others I have kids make a gift. It can feel like it's from me because I purchase extra items for the kids to make it!
midaycare 06:33 AM 12-18-2017
I've never had the kids give parents a gift. I figure that's mom and dad's job...

I give the kids $15 gifts apiece and call it good.

Christmas is a crazy hectic time and I like to enjoy what I can.
hwichlaz 08:09 AM 12-18-2017
I already bake and make gift baskets for all of my friends, so adding a basket per daycare family isn’t a lot of extra time. I did 20 baskets this year, with Banana Bread, Fudge, Divinity, Chex Mix, Jalepeno Pepper Jelly, and my little girl made Ginger Bread Men to put in the baskets. . Only 5 of the baskets were for daycare families.
Blackcat31 08:55 AM 12-18-2017
MY gift to the parents is time WITH their child.
(I close between Christmas and New Year's)

The children make a gift for their parent here (it varies each year) but is usually something simple.... this year it was baked goods. We've been baking up a storm these last few weeks and each child was in charge of what they wanted to put in their parent's basket. Mostly an assortment of cookies, bars, candies and muffins.

There have been a few years I didn't have the kids do/make anything for the parents....usually if I have a tough or hard to care for kid in care.... and some years I go bigger than previous years. Mostly I guess it's all dependent on the year/group of kids I have.
LittleScholars 09:24 AM 12-18-2017
I posted about this last week and decided to do a weekend pj, pizza and movie party for kids and siblings (all of which I've had in my care at some point). I didn't have much money to spend this year, but really wanted to do something special. The families are so excited. Mom and dad get the night off and the kids get more time together. It will be totally exhausting and may be the first and last one I do . I think gift baskets or an assortment of baked goods are a great idea for future years, especially if the kids help with the baking.

For the kids, I just do one big group gift for the daycare. This year I got them a great big race track. Last year they got a giant bag of new art supplies and instruments.
daycarediva 09:41 AM 12-18-2017
I don't buy for parents.

The kids and I do go a little craft crazy though. It takes us a good 2 weeks to complete all of it, and Christmas/mothers and fathers day are the ONLY times I include all of the part time kids so everyone makes everything we planned.

I then buy gifts for the daycare kids to stay here. They all get soooo much that small 10-15 toys aren't appreciated, but if I pool those funds, I can get a pretty good chunk of new toys to remain here (which is always nice after break- there's something new at school to play with, too).

This year I spent a small fortune, as with the daycare expansion happening the week before Christmas and a whollleee bunch of new kids starting in January, we needed more expensive items, too.
Meeko 01:56 PM 12-18-2017
I am licensed for 16 kids at any given time. We have 18 on the books as some share a spot.

It is too much for me to buy 18 gifts for the kids...18 gifts for the parents...18 gifts for kids to their parents etc....

I made cinnamon bread which was given to each FAMILY. Whoever picked up, got the bread. I don't care if Mom and Dad are separated...not my problem. First come/first served.

DONE.
e.j. 06:27 PM 12-18-2017
I give a gift to each child and I help the kids make a memento gift (something that includes a picture or hand, foot or finger prints) for their parents. They may not end up looking like it, but I tend to put a fair amount of time, money and effort into those parent gifts so I don't buy an additional gift from me to the parents. If I could afford to buy something extra for them, I would because I'm lucky to have some really wonderful dc parents but I have to draw a line somewhere.
Tags:gifts
Reply Up