Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Bad Monday
lovemykidstoo 02:31 PM 04-08-2013
I have a dcb that just turned 3. Today was a challenging day with him. He's going through a pushing/hitting stage that I've been working on. I've talked to parents about it, put him in timeout, put him on a nap mat ect. Nothing working. Today he pushed 3 times and then hit someone with the lego's. The legos I took away from him and told him that he couldn't have them the rest of the day. First thing he says when dad comes is that I took the lego's away from him. So, we go through the whole thing of why I did. Dad said to the child that he was not happy to hear that he was hitting. The dad puts the coat on the dcb fully. Then reaches for his sweatshirt. The dcb starts throwing fit that he wants the sweatshirt on. Dad says, well if you would ask nicely I would put the sweatshirt on. Dad takes the coat all the way off and puts the sweatshirt on. Dcb throws another fit and takes off the sweatshrit saying he wants to put it on himself. Dad lets him. Dcb has trouble with it, so dad helps him. Dcb gets mad at that and takes it off again. This happened 3 times. I mean what the hell is wrong with people? After I tell him that he's hitting and pushing today and had the toy taken away from him, he allows this child to control this coat thing like that? I was so pissed. UGH!
DaisyMamma 06:34 PM 04-25-2013
Its obvious where the behavior comes from.
Its allowed at home.
How long has the boy been in your care? If it has been a long time then you have two choices: talk to the parents about how they are allowing this behavior and what needs to be done to fix it. Or term. The parents are likely not going to be open to what they will consider judgement on their parenting skills.
If the boy hasn't been there long then you can give him some more time to get used to what is and isn't allowed at your daycare,(but make sure parents are kept informed of progress, so they won't be alarmed if you decide to term in a month). He may learn that what is allowed at home is not allowed at daycare. Be consistent and firm, but gentle.
lovemykidstoo 07:41 PM 04-25-2013
He's been here a couple of years, but has been a royal pain lately. The parents act like they're concerned, but yet do nothing to correct it. The mother babies him something awful. Carries him in every morning (he's 3), lays down with him at night until he falls asleep, allows him to bring toys in the morning even though I tell her to stop etc. Luckily, starting in September he won't be with me anymore. There is a conflict with preschool and I can't accomodate him for the schedule they need, so grandma is going to take him. They think he's bad now, wait until grandma has him 3 days a week. I have to say, that I'm not sorry to see him go. Oh have I mentioned his absolute refusal to go to bathroom on teh toilet and yet they send him in pullups? UGH!
Reply Up