Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Any florida home care providers?
small_steps 12:30 PM 07-18-2013
We are possibly moving to florida in about 20 months. I know that's a good while but I definitely want to be prepared. Can anyone give me information about the way it works in florida? I am currently in Texas and I have a licensed home for 12. It's looking like I will need to be licensed there for two years before I can apply for the large group home (12) there and that's fine.
I'm looking for any info that you think would be helpful for me such as average rates, average hours of operation...more about the vpk program, etc.
we are looking at citrus county if that helps any.

Thanks in advance for any information. I'm so excited but at the same time nervous. I've got a great business here in Texas and I hate to lose it. I'm well known now but the change will be good.
It looks like there are many schools around it too so I'm also thinking of keeping the school districts schedule. I'm really hoping that will work there! I'm a single mom so I've gotta stay pretty full but I think it will work out one way or another.
Blackcat31 12:35 PM 07-18-2013
Sugar Magnolia is in Florida....she is very wise and VERY helpful
small_steps 01:09 PM 07-18-2013
Thanks Blackcat! I will look her up and see what she can tell me.
Sugar Magnolia 01:17 PM 07-18-2013
I'd like to help, but I don't have any information on home.daycare, I operate a center. But you can try www.myflorida.com/childcare and you can download the complete regulations.there. Where in Florida? Some counties (like mine) have additional regs. I think home.daycare have a mandatory 30 hours of training.
Sugar Magnolia 01:20 PM 07-18-2013
Oh Citrus county! Missed that. Also, rates vary wildly. I get $185 per week.
small_steps 01:40 PM 07-18-2013
Oh ok you have a center. How many are you licensed for? In Texas you can't do a "home daycare" outside of your residence but you can have a center licensed for no more than 12 that's very similar to the home as far as having the mixed ages. I may look into that. I really wanted to do that in Texas too but I haven't pursued it.
I'm still researching, and will probably look at maybe calling some of the providers in the neighboring towns to see if they are willing to give me any details. We are looking at crystal river, florida to be more specific.
Sugar Magnolia 02:34 PM 07-18-2013
I'm going to pm you later tonight. I'm a very small center, 15 capacity. We are a husband wife team with one employee. It's in a house, zoned residential with a major conditional use approval through zoning. We don't live there.

Crystal River is nice. I love Florida. I whine about hurricanes, but it's all good. Coming.from Texas.won't be a huge.culture shock for you. But it rains here. A LOT!
Sugar Magnolia 02:38 PM 07-18-2013
And 20 months from now will be right at the beginning of.summer. (March)
Reply Up