Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What DO You Prefer To Be Called?
Josiegirl 04:18 AM 12-20-2013
Teacher? Child care provider? Babysitter?

Years ago, at our child care trainings, we were told to not consider ourselves 'merely' babysitters. They made it sound almost derogatory. Although after reading Nannyd's replies about her being a babysitter and clearly not a teacher, she feels entirely comfortable with that name. I'm kinda jealous in a way because I have felt a stigma being called a babysitter. I'm clearly not educated to be a teacher.
Yes, they're always learning and growing in my environment but it feels like a different kind of learning.
So I'm curious as to how others feel about the title of their profession? Is babysitting a profession? I do not want to start a debate, I'm sincerely seeking opinions.
MissAnn 04:21 AM 12-20-2013
I am a teacher. I teach preschool in my home. Anyone who calls me a babysitter will only call me that once.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:25 AM 12-20-2013
I am a child care provider. I am not insulted by the term babysitter. I am not a teacher, that is not my training.
MotherNature 04:47 AM 12-20-2013
in-home daycare owner/ child care provider
nannyde 04:47 AM 12-20-2013
When I first started doing child care "babysitter" was not a term that offended child care providers. I think the term "teacher" came along because centers could call their minimum wage employee staff assistants "teachers" and their services "school" at the same time the push for preschool below the age of four became something parents wanted.

When Child Care Resource and Referrals became primary trainers of child care providers they started using the phrase concomitantly with their training that put the kids preschool education onto us.

It went over well with new providers but not so much for experienced providers. Fees remained the same for care as the expectation for educating the kids was ADDED to the expectations on the provider.

More work ... no pay... no thanks

I will stay a babysitter and let parents "homeschool" their infants and toddlers.

I don't mind the term child care provider.
Annalee 05:01 AM 12-20-2013
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Teacher? Child care provider? Babysitter?

Years ago, at our child care trainings, we were told to not consider ourselves 'merely' babysitters. They made it sound almost derogatory. Although after reading Nannyd's replies about her being a babysitter and clearly not a teacher, she feels entirely comfortable with that name. I'm kinda jealous in a way because I have felt a stigma being called a babysitter. I'm clearly not educated to be a teacher.
Yes, they're always learning and growing in my environment but it feels like a different kind of learning.
So I'm curious as to how others feel about the title of their profession? Is babysitting a profession? I do not want to start a debate, I'm sincerely seeking opinions.
I like to be called an Early Childhood Professional which is what I was called by college personnel as I received my degree/CDA...but have settled for child care provider or early childhood educator from parents along with owner/operator of my business..NEVER BABYSITTER!
hope 05:17 AM 12-20-2013
All my families call me their babysitter. I like to joke with them that babysitters get paid more than me. In my area a babysitter charges at least $15 an hour. I like to tell them that if I were a babysitter I would be charging a whole lot more!!!!
I refer to myself as a child care provider when asked what I do. Call me or think of me whatever you like. I don't take titles too seriously.
Maria2013 05:21 AM 12-20-2013
as I said before, the term "babysitter" doesn't offend me, as long as the parents don't try to treat me as if I were just a sitter ...often parents that refer to me as their sitter, tent to want full control over what goes on in my home, while still expect I follow a full curriculum and that's the only problem I have with this
Play Care 05:34 AM 12-20-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:
When I first started doing child care "babysitter" was not a term that offended child care providers. I think the term "teacher" came along because centers could call their minimum wage employee staff assistants "teachers" and their services "school" at the same time the push for preschool below the age of four became something parents wanted.

When Child Care Resource and Referrals became primary trainers of child care providers they started using the phrase concomitantly with their training that put the kids preschool education onto us.

It went over well with new providers but not so much for experienced providers. Fees remained the same for care as the expectation for educating the kids was ADDED to the expectations on the provider.

I will stay a babysitter and let parents "homeschool" their infants and toddlers.

I never really thought of it that way.

I call myself "child care provider."
GoodKarma 05:36 AM 12-20-2013
I prefer Child Care Provider.
Annalee 05:36 AM 12-20-2013
Originally Posted by Maria2013:
as I said before, the term "babysitter" doesn't offend me, as long as the parents don't try to treat me as if I were just a sitter ...often parents that refer to me as their sitter, tent to want full control over what goes on in my home, while still expect I follow a full curriculum and that's the only problem I have with this
Even before the state jumped in with new rules and regs and/or the QRIS started in 2002, I did get offended at babysitter....just my thought!

I felt that fcc was more than just me "teaching" through words, but I also feel setting up the child care environment for learning is of great importance as well. Early childhood is a huge undertaking due to the multiple learning styles of children and I enjoy the challenge....therefore, babysitter does not fit that description for me.

Y'all are right, some parents will ALWAYS consider myself and other providers as "babysitters" but I "attempt" to educate parents as well. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Maria2013 05:44 AM 12-20-2013
Originally Posted by dapb45:
Even before the state jumped in with new rules and regs and/or the QRIS started in 2002
having the state telling me what to teach and how to speak to kids bothers me way more than being called a babysitter!...in my opinion it should be up to the parents what I do with their infants, not the state! The state should limit itself to safety regulations
Msdunny 06:09 AM 12-20-2013
I have a friend who is also a daycare provider, who calls herself a "day mommy". I don't! I am a child care provider. I provide home care - not a preschool. We are a small, personal group and love each other like a family, but I am not their mom. I just supplement what mom and dad do.
Leigh 06:10 AM 12-20-2013
Most of my families call me their "daycare lady". I don't care what they call me. I don't want to be called "teacher", because I am not. I teach Sunday School. I don't teach preschool. My care is play based, because I believe that it is what kids need. I supervise and guide PLAY. My kids learn here, but there is no school here. I do use curriculum at times, such as when we do fun projects (like gardening), but still, it's not school, and I'm not a teacher to these kids.
Cradle2crayons 06:14 AM 12-20-2013
The mom of my special little girl tells everyone I'm the kids nanny lol. I don't know why. Just yesterday at the hospital she told the anesthesiologist I was KY's auntie lol. The other mom says babysitter.

Babysitter is a catch all term here in the south. Not meant derogatory at all.

It doesn't matter to me what they call me, as long as it's with respect.
Blackcat31 06:27 AM 12-20-2013
Personally, I don't care what I'm called, as long as whatever word they use is used respectfully.

We've had this discussion before....here is my reply from one of those threads. (anyone interested in reading more about this topic can do so among these threads: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...er+vs+provider)

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
People think daycare is babysitting because honesty that is why they are paying you....to watch their child while they are at work. The teaching part is just a perk for them.

Most daycare is just babysitting. Yes, we own a business and we are professional in our field but that doesn't change the fact that we are watching kids in our homes because parents are out working.

Most of us aren't watching kids in our homes just so we could teach them....if we were, there wouldn't be so many posts/vents on here about how we are frustrated because a parent is bringing their child to us when they weren't at work.

I've never heard a teacher complain that Timmy was brought to school today but his parents aren't at work.....

Babysitters might be teenagers working for mall money but daycare providers are the same thing just adults who work for bill money.

Before everyone gets all hot under the collar and starts ranting about how we are all teachers etc etc. My opinions are mine and many might disagree with me (as is your right) but unless there is a degree on your wall and possibly a student loan in your budget/finances, we are care providers. Professional adults who provide child care (i.e babysitting services) for parents while they go to work.

We may teach the kids a boat load of things while in our care (and that is awesome) but the parents didn't seek out our services to teach their child anything......they might have been swayed by the "perks" of what you teach when choosing you over the next provider, but when the day comes to a end, we are being paid to watch their kids.

Call me what you want, I don't really care. Just respect my policies and pay me on time.
FWIW~ I have the degree and the student loan, but am licensed as a family child care provider NOT as a preschool center. Yes, I choose to teach the kids but that isn't why my dck's are here everyday.

Annalee 06:28 AM 12-20-2013
having the state telling me what to teach and how to speak to kids bothers me way more than being called a babysitter!...in my opinion it should be up to the parents what I do with their infants, not the state! The state should limit itself to safety regulations
I agree with you bout the state issues being bothersome, however, it is a strong REALITY here and my job, to a large extent, depends on me rolling with the change....NOT THAT I LIKE IT, but IT IS HAPPENING!
Annalee 06:30 AM 12-20-2013
I agree with you bout the state issues being bothersome, however, it is a strong REALITY here and my job, to a large extent, depends on me rolling with the change....NOT THAT I LIKE IT, but IT IS HAPPENING!
One more thing, there are ways around meeting the state standards but still being beneficial for the kids....I don't share that with the state or QRIS, but I have become a little crafty.
Sunchimes 06:36 AM 12-20-2013
Babysitter used to bother me but not now. Babysitter is an old-fashioned term, and at least around here, there is no disrespect meant. It's what their mom used and what they grew up hearing. However, when it comes from someone other than a dcp, is said with a sneer, and has the word "just" in the sentence, I (and hubby) go into teaching mode.
cheerfuldom 06:58 AM 12-20-2013
Originally Posted by Msdunny:
I have a friend who is also a daycare provider, who calls herself a "day mommy". I don't! I am a child care provider. I provide home care - not a preschool. We are a small, personal group and love each other like a family, but I am not their mom. I just supplement what mom and dad do.
I really do not like the phrase day mommy. I can't imagine that daycare parents would appreciate that phrase.
sharlan 07:18 AM 12-20-2013
I don't really care what they call me as long as they respect me and pay me on time.
Leanna 07:22 AM 12-20-2013
For me, it's all in the who and the how....who said it and how did they say it.
If it is one of my beloved families referring to me as their baby-sitter I don't mind at all because I know they appreciate everything I do and know how much I care for and about their child.

If it is an outsider or "society" I get miffed at being called "merely a baby-sitter." In these instances they mean it to be derogatory and that is how I take it.

When people ask me what I do I say "I own and operate a home-based child care program." Do I expect people to say, "This is my friend Leanna.She owns and operates a home-based child care program." No, lol...they usually say I "do daycare" or "watch kids." If they are a friend they mean it respectfully but put it in terms everyone knows.

I have a Bachelor's Degree in ECE and while there is learning happening in my home everyday it is through play, a carefully laid out environment with thought-out toys, materials, and activities, and my interactions with the kids throughout the day...not because I am a teacher imparting knowledge to them.
racemom 08:08 AM 12-20-2013
Here the new state regulations for centers are we have to a non-certified teacher in each room. Which basically is either a degree or enough experience and training hours to qualify. I think its a new way for the state to meet federal early childcare guidelines. Has being a non-certified teacher changed what I do or how much I am paid--No! Didn't mean to turn this into a rant, but new rules and regs drive me crazy!
thetoddlerwhisper 08:38 AM 12-20-2013
my parent s all introduce me as their childs teacher, i take it as it is. but as another thing what do your kids call you? they just referr to me as "angel" but ive heard some people request their kids call them ms._____
originalkat 08:39 AM 12-20-2013
I do preschool and childcare in my home and have created a niche for myself in my community-- People who are looking for preschool in a more intimate home setting. So, I prefer to be called a preschool teacher (I have my AA in Early Childhood Ed and will be finishing up my BA in Child Development next year) or a childcare provider.
I do not see myself as a babysitter because I do not take care of kids under 2, I offer a full curriculum, and a preschool classroom. I do not just "take care of kids".
** I am not trying to diminish the need or importance of quality daycare only homes. I just have chosen to specialize in home based preschool so I expect to be called something other than a babysitter. I prefer Child Care Provider for all home providers rather than babysitter because I look at a babysitter as a person who watches children occasionally. A childcare provider (IMO) cares for children professionally in her home, has policies, handbooks, contracts, specialized materials and equipment, licenses, insurance, home deductions etc... I have never met a babysitter that does that.
Annalee 08:41 AM 12-20-2013
Originally Posted by originalkat:
I do preschool and childcare in my home and have created a niche for myself in my community-- People who are looking for preschool in a more intimate home setting. So, I prefer to be called a preschool teacher (I have my AA in Early Childhood Ed and will be finishing up my BA in Child Development next year) or a childcare provider.
I do not see myself as a babysitter because I do not take care of kids under 2, I offer a full curriculum, and a preschool classroom. I do not just "take care of kids".
** I am not trying to diminish the need or importance of quality daycare only homes. I just have chosen to specialize in home based preschool so I expect to be called something other than a babysitter. I prefer Child Care Provider for all home providers rather than babysitter because I look at a babysitter as a person who watches children occasionally. A childcare provider (IMO) cares for children professionally in her home, has policies, handbooks, contracts, specialized materials and equipment, licenses, insurance, home deductions etc... I have never met a babysitter that does that.

originalkat 08:42 AM 12-20-2013
Originally Posted by athacker:
my parent s all introduce me as their childs teacher, i take it as it is. but as another thing what do your kids call you? they just referr to me as "angel" but ive heard some people request their kids call them ms._____
They call me Ms. Katie
Naptime yet? 09:10 AM 12-20-2013
Originally Posted by hope:
All my families call me their babysitter. I like to joke with them that babysitters get paid more than me. In my area a babysitter charges at least $15 an hour. I like to tell them that if I were a babysitter I would be charging a whole lot more!!!!
I refer to myself as a child care provider when asked what I do. Call me or think of me whatever you like. I don't take titles too seriously.

The only time I was offended by being called a babysitter was by a director of a pt program I was thinking of enrolling my dd in. I later attended a workshop with that same director....needless to say, I decided not to enroll.
misslori50 09:26 AM 12-20-2013
Miss Lori
AcornMama 09:42 AM 12-20-2013
This is how I've chosen to set up my business as well. I named it a "preschool," I focus on 3 and up (though I will consider younger), I do preschool learning activities. So my client parents call me a teacher.

And do I have a degree hanging on my wall (literally) so I guess it's okay.

And after 18 years as a stay-at-home mom, I think my parents are really glad I'm putting that teaching degree they paid for to use. Nevermind the fact that I've been homeschooling all those years.
nannyde 10:05 AM 12-20-2013
Nan

Nan Nan
melilley 10:08 AM 12-20-2013
One more thing, there are ways around meeting the state standards but still being beneficial for the kids....I don't share that with the state or QRIS, but I have become a little crafty.

Msdunny 10:14 AM 12-20-2013
After today and the 'fit' I witnessed, I am going to asked to be called 'Her Royal Highness, Queen of the Unruly'.
Msdunny 10:17 AM 12-20-2013
As for what the kid calls me, it's 'Chelle, Michelle, and one even says Mr. Chelle (still working on that pronunciation!)

But seriously, after Christmas it's Your Majesty...

originalkat 10:27 AM 12-20-2013
Originally Posted by AcornMama:
This is how I've chosen to set up my business as well. I named it a "preschool," I focus on 3 and up (though I will consider younger), I do preschool learning activities. So my client parents call me a teacher.

And do I have a degree hanging on my wall (literally) so I guess it's okay.

And after 18 years as a stay-at-home mom, I think my parents are really glad I'm putting that teaching degree they paid for to use. Nevermind the fact that I've been homeschooling all those years.
We homeschool as well!!
Blackcat31 10:28 AM 12-20-2013
Originally Posted by Msdunny:
After today and the 'fit' I witnessed, I am going to asked to be called 'Her Royal Highness, Queen of the Unruly'.

Now that's funny!
melilley 10:32 AM 12-20-2013
I don't like being called a babysitter or sitter. My families call me Ms. M or just M, except for one who calls me a sitter and she works as a pre-k teacher!

If I were to go to someone's house and watch their kids occasionally, that is a babysitter to me.

I do have my AS in Child Development, but I don't expect to be called a teacher either.

I tell people that I have a licensed child care or daycare.
Familycare71 10:34 AM 12-20-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:

Familycare71 10:37 AM 12-20-2013

I'd like to be called mom2... . I try to foster a sah environment. There are certain things I can't or won't do for dck that I would for my own but overall I want to be a FAMILY care provider! NYS doesn't agree
Annalee 10:40 AM 12-20-2013
My kids and parents usually refer to me as Ms. my first name, then tell others I am their child's teacher.... That works for me.....

I just hate to be in out somewhere, though, and get the old "oh, you keep kids" with an almost "petrified" look. I proceed to tell them I LOVE my job and why....Do they understand....probably not but I feel better.
Sugar Magnolia 10:43 AM 12-20-2013
Parents: I am a child care provider.
Kids: "And you call me Queen Bee, and baby I'll rule....let me live that fantasy"
kitykids3 01:01 PM 12-20-2013
I am a child care provider, a teacher (I have my degree and state considers us teachers), a business owner, fcc owner, but never a babysitter. Not unless I am going to their house for a few hours to babysit, but in my business, I expect them to call me Ms. A or A. I expect kids to call all adults with a prefix of Mr., Ms. etc. anyways. Yes, I am a little old-fashioned. I teach my kids to ask to be excused from the table too.
e.j. 01:57 PM 12-20-2013
My state calls us "Educators"; I prefer child care provider.
saved4always 09:10 AM 12-21-2013
I always said child care provider when I did in home care. I called myself toddler teacher when I was at the center because that was the "title" I had. I never called myself a babysitter, although around here babysitters make more and hour than me. So maybe I should have used babysitter.
saved4always 09:15 AM 12-21-2013
Oh, and the kids and parents all call me Miss "First Name". Even years later I have kids pass me in the neighborhood call me that when they say hi. The little ones often called me a combination or Miss and my first name, making it one word. I always thought that was so cute .
EchoMom 06:28 PM 12-21-2013
I was a teacher and still could be if I wanted to go back to it. I have a Masters degree a current teaching License in my state, and 4 years experience teaching elementary school. However, what I do now is not teaching. Sometimes I teach in lessons here or there, activities, Montessori work time, etc. But I am not a teacher as I used to be. I am self employed. I am a childcare provider. I provide daycare from my home. I work from home so I can be home raising my son. I am not a babysitter either. I don't go to someones house. I don't follow directions laid out for me.

However I don't really know what parents call me. I don't really care anymore either. Just pay me and berespectful and you can call me a monkey's uncle for all I care.

But I do like people to know I have a graduate degree and experience and am current. I really AM a professional, trained, highly educated teacher. . But I dont say I'm still a teacher.
Former Teacher 07:20 AM 12-22-2013
At my former center I was always Ms H Preschool Teacher. Then after I left there and went into being a private caregiver, I was just H. The mother asked me if i wanted to be called a nanny, babysitter, or what? I said "nanny". She said she thought that by having a nanny, it would give people the impression that she was rich and snobbish. Once I was talking to the little boy (who was 2 at the time) and he was telling me every night he said his prayers. "God Bless Mommy, God Bless Daddy, God Bless Babysitter H etc"

Anyway with my current family I am officially a nanny and EVERYONE calls me Ms H
Sereetta 05:52 AM 12-23-2013
I am 2 years away from becoming a master teacher and its not something I hang on the wall at my child care center but I am a licensed teacher with a degree in special education. I do lesson planning for every age group and I do tons of research on best practices. Even if I didn't have my license I would call my self a teacher bc of all the "teaching and learning" we do with the children.

I am from a totally different culture and country and there most teachers aren't certified but they are still given respect by the community bc of their service. Teaching isn't about the title its about the work and as far as I am concerned daycare aides and preschool aides impact as much as teachers.
Happily_wed 06:16 AM 12-23-2013
I refer to myself as a daycare provider. I have one family and I operate with them just like I did with my own kids. We play, read, learn, sing, dance, go the park occasionally, etc. It's a very laid back, homey atmosphere. I have known members of their family for years and my sister went to school with the father.

I have never heard them talk about me to anyone else so I am not sure what they would call me. I wouldn't be offended at babysitter although, like others, I don't consider myself a babysitter.

The girls and their parents call me by my first name. When they first started here 3 years ago the girls were determined they were going to call me ma-maw first name. I said NO WAY! I am not a grandma yet and don't want to be called one. Then they tried Aunt first name and I said NO! You have grandmas and aunts and that should be reserved for them.
itlw8 08:32 AM 12-23-2013
I am a small business owner and run a family childcare and preschool from my home. I was a babysitter when I was 15. No I do not have an education degree but I am a preschool teacher.

I market myself as a preschool so yes I am a preschool teacher in a play based program.
daycarediva 10:14 AM 12-23-2013
right down to the timing of our BA! I finish in spring next year! I will continue towards my masters and get a teaching certificate as well. My long term goal is to open a small center/preschool. There are only 5 of them in my entire state, and I want #6!

I intro myself as a child care provider, mainly.
Reply Up