Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Standing Out in A Crowd
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 04:10 PM 12-09-2016
We moved to our current area last year about this time and as I was staying home with my kids I decided to "babysit" a couple more. I put up the 'ol "Stay at home looking to provide care for another kid or two" post on CG and facebook. There were very few other people posting and I quickly had 4 kids "enrolled". I even stated in my ad that I was just looking to care for a kid or two and "not open a full fledged daycare". I was not interested in a bigger venture and my house wasn't set up for it.

Fast forward a year and we're moving to a bigger house and I am actually wanting to move to a daycare business. Only now there are suddenly (within the past 3 months) a TON of ads just like the one I posted a year ago. It seems like everyone and their sister are offering care. There are also several options for licensed care in the area, but its military town with lots of young families coming and going.

I've been on the fence about licensing, which would actually only increase my numbers by two kids. So the plan for now is to stay at 4 (the legally unlicensed limit), run the program exactly like I would if I were licensed, and if the demand there start licensing a few months down the road or next year.

My questions are, what are some tips to make me stand out from all the other "stay-at-home mom providers"? I'm looking for advice in all areas: advertising, interviewing, programming, rates. I'm afraid that not being licensed will hurt interest, but also afraid that the demand may be dwindling this year. (There is military turn over quite a bit so it seems to be feast or famine around here).
Mom2Two 05:09 PM 12-09-2016
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
We moved to our current area last year about this time and as I was staying home with my kids I decided to "babysit" a couple more. I put up the 'ol "Stay at home looking to provide care for another kid or two" post on CG and facebook. There were very few other people posting and I quickly had 4 kids "enrolled". I even stated in my ad that I was just looking to care for a kid or two and "not open a full fledged daycare". I was not interested in a bigger venture and my house wasn't set up for it.

Fast forward a year and we're moving to a bigger house and I am actually wanting to move to a daycare business. Only now there are suddenly (within the past 3 months) a TON of ads just like the one I posted a year ago. It seems like everyone and their sister are offering care. There are also several options for licensed care in the area, but its military town with lots of young families coming and going.

I've been on the fence about licensing, which would actually only increase my numbers by two kids. So the plan for now is to stay at 4 (the legally unlicensed limit), run the program exactly like I would if I were licensed, and if the demand there start licensing a few months down the road or next year.

My questions are, what are some tips to make me stand out from all the other "stay-at-home mom providers"? I'm looking for advice in all areas: advertising, interviewing, programming, rates. I'm afraid that not being licensed will hurt interest, but also afraid that the demand may be dwindling this year. (There is military turn over quite a bit so it seems to be feast or famine around here).
When I first started, I was willing to do some things that I wouldn't be willing to now. But now I can say I've been licensed four years, I know how to interview better, I've taken a ton of training etc. I also know what I like and don't like about the business and try to avoid what I don't like.

But back then, I took a family that wanted transportation--it worked out for me at the time although it was a lot of work. My first family had no contract (didn't know I was in this for the long term) so I put up with some stuff from them. I took kids for some hours I wouldn't be willing to now.

The longer you've been doing this, and the more qualifications you get, the more you'll stand out in your advertising. You could offer things like preschool, get your pediatric first aid and stuff like that. Whatever is comfortable for you that would make you sound like you've got an edge over the others.

Also if early mornings work for you, or staying open a bit later in the evenings, then that could be your niche. Or if you're willing to work one day on the weekend.
finsup 05:35 PM 12-09-2016
I operate as a legally unliscesned provider, and like you, and. j started this there weren't many. Now there's tons. Having a degree in Early Childhood plus a ton of experience before staying home helps a lot. But what I did was check out what the others weren't providing and see if I could accommodate it. One way was to provide diapers and wipes. Another way, offer my vacation time at no cost to them. My rates however are high enough to make them think it's "free". It doesnt seem to phase them that my rates are higher then most in home places because their "getting" a lot. Also, I hand them a packet of my policies, daily schedule, resume/references that includes photos. Ive had parents say that really sold them because it was professional and the kids looked so happy.
But yeah, think about what others dont offer that you can. As long as you want to. Like I *could* stand out by providing weekend care but well, that's not happening, ever lol.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 11:38 PM 12-09-2016
Originally Posted by finsup:
I operate as a legally unliscesned provider, and like you, and. j started this there weren't many. Now there's tons. Having a degree in Early Childhood plus a ton of experience before staying home helps a lot. But what I did was check out what the others weren't providing and see if I could accommodate it. One way was to provide diapers and wipes. Another way, offer my vacation time at no cost to them. My rates however are high enough to make them think it's "free". It doesnt seem to phase them that my rates are higher then most in home places because their "getting" a lot. Also, I hand them a packet of my policies, daily schedule, resume/references that includes photos. Ive had parents say that really sold them because it was professional and the kids looked so happy.
But yeah, think about what others dont offer that you can. As long as you want to. Like I *could* stand out by providing weekend care but well, that's not happening, ever lol.

I just did the math on this... I'm amazed. It really wouldn't take much of a rate increase to make this work. Never would've thought about it, Thanks.
childcaremom 08:14 AM 12-10-2016
I examined/studied what other providers were offering and picked out key things that made me stand out and then advertised the heck out of those.

There are tons of providers in my area and a limited base of clients.

I have changed a lot over the years that I've done this. I now cater to teachers or people who can follow the school year. I bumped up my rates a huge amount, started advertising, and was full within 2 months. I don't charge for school holidays and don't offer care over those periods. I make more now then I did doing full year and don't work as much. Like above, they think the time off is free, but my rates cover it all.

I guess my point is to find what you like and don't like, pick out things that make what you are offering unique, advertise like crazy, and pass on the stuff that doesn't work for you. Like any business, there is a niche for everyone.
Reply Up