Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OT- Homemade Laundry Soap
jojosmommy 07:53 AM 07-26-2012
Anyone make their own laundry soap? Seen it on tv once or twice in the last two years or so, then found a recipe on pinterest yesterday. Items cost about $20 to purchase, makes a TON of soap and depending on how many times you wash a week claims to last 6 mo- 1 year. Just wondering if anyone has done it, long term pros/cons?
Sunchimes 08:02 AM 07-26-2012
My oldest granddaughter does it, and she absolutely swears by it. She has a mechanic husband and a 4 year old, just to give you an idea of her laundry load!
shelby 09:37 AM 07-26-2012
I have been making my own for over a year now. I am still using my first box of borax I bought when I started. I love the way it works. I use only a 1/4 cup of soap to a load of laundry. With my family I make a batch about three times a yr... but sometimes my girls use more soap than needed...

Once you get over the cost to get started, I only spend a dollar on the bar soap needed.. and buy as needed.

We love it.. it does save tons of money.. and if you are washing the daycare stuff... you would be saving tons using it.
daycarediva 10:03 AM 07-26-2012
I have been making mine for over a year. Ds has severe allergies and the detergent is SOOOO expensive, and even that tended to break him out! Mine gives him no reaction whatsoever! My dh is a plumber and we have four kids + daycare laundry. I averaged it out to spending about .30-.70/week on detergent.
JennyBear 10:11 AM 07-26-2012
What soap recipes do you have? I've been wondering about this homemade soap myself and think I might give it a try. Do you find it's good on stains?
Thanks!
SilverSabre25 10:12 AM 07-26-2012
I make a homemade powder and I it!! Cheap, simple, and did I mention CHEAP?! I use 2 TB to a load and have had great results. Been using it a few months now.
SilverSabre25 10:15 AM 07-26-2012
My recipe is:

1 bar Ivory soap
1 cup Borax
1 cup washing soda

Grate the soap using the fine side of your grater (it's just soap, just wash it really well!). Add all three ingredients and stir (the original recipe says for five minutes, but I'm not sure it's necessary to do it that long--just stir well). Store tightly covered in a container. 2 TB per load, feel free to experiment and use more/less depending on your water, the load size, amount of dirt in the load, etc.

Sometimes I throw in a Downy ball full of distilled white vinegar for extra cleaning power during the wash cycle.

Works fine for HE/front-loading washers as it is low-sudsing. Good for cloth diapers, too.
Tags:home made, laundry soap, soap
Reply Up