Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
First ... 6 7 8 9 10 18  ... Last
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Positive Thread - What Happened That was GOOD Today?
SilverSabre25 02:25 PM 03-15-2011
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
It has been sooooo nice here that we have been spending a lot of time outside and the kids have been sleeping awesome! All that fresh air does a body good! Yay me! I have gotten a bit of a break the last couple days!
Yay! I'm waiting for ours...it keeps being either sunny and cold/windy, or warm and too wet.

I'm anxiously awaiting good warm(ish) weather...or to replace my youngest dcks so that we can go out in a bigger variety of weather. Those two families have parents who freak out at the idea of raindrops...or temperatures below about 50...
Cat Herder 02:42 PM 03-15-2011
Today the neighbors male cat that keeps spraying my front porch was snatched up by a Hawk

I am totally kidding.... BUT the Hawk did land on my Japanese Maple tree just outside the daycare window late this afternoon just after the rain slacked off. The kids were fascinated!!!

It was hysterical listening to the kids tell their parents about it at pickup. You know he "Was, too a bird!!" in the playroom today....

Such a beautiful bird and to have him within inches was really amazing. He could only see his reflection in the mirrored film on the windows. It was truly exciting.....

I also spotted a Pileated Woodpecker in the back yard this morning...so hopefully he will stick around this season.... Fingers crossed!!
SilverSabre25 06:17 AM 03-16-2011
This morning one boy tried to come in with a credit-card sized card of some sort and I had him hand it right back to his mom so that "it won't get lost" and he did it with very little fuss.

A girl came to the door (walking on her own! Usually she gets carried and she's 2) with a bag of apple slices and I told her to hand it right back to mommy "because no one else has apples and we don't want them to be sad" and she did it with no complaint, then proceeded to unzip her coat (mostly) on her own and take it off with little help!

Answered an email from a potential client--they mentioned "my schedule varies, is that ok?" and instead of my standard "Yes!" answer, I explained that it depends and asked for an idea of days and time, adding that I can only accommodate 7 AM to 6 PM M-F and I would need to charge her for a full-time spot to keep the space open for varying hours.

My kids are growing up, and so am I. Feels good.

No, better--it feels GREAT!!!
Meyou 06:21 AM 03-16-2011
I just had a 3.5 year old boy who has never been able to run properly due to a severely broken leg at 18 months dash across my yard to get the next turn on the favorite car. I teared up because he's FINALLY starting to catch up to his peers.
laundrymom 10:16 AM 03-16-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I just had a 3.5 year old boy who has never been able to run properly due to a severely broken leg at 18 months dash across my yard to get the next turn on the favorite car. I teared up because he's FINALLY starting to catch up to his peers.
and as the aunt to a child with delays physically,.. I am teary too. =-) big hugs!!!!!
laundrymom 10:20 AM 03-16-2011
Kudos!!!!!!

Originally Posted by silversabre25:
this morning one boy tried to come in with a credit-card sized card of some sort and i had him hand it right back to his mom so that "it won't get lost" and he did it with very little fuss.

A girl came to the door (walking on her own! Usually she gets carried and she's 2) with a bag of apple slices and i told her to hand it right back to mommy "because no one else has apples and we don't want them to be sad" and she did it with no complaint, then proceeded to unzip her coat (mostly) on her own and take it off with little help!

Answered an email from a potential client--they mentioned "my schedule varies, is that ok?" and instead of my standard "yes!" answer, i explained that it depends and asked for an idea of days and time, adding that i can only accommodate 7 am to 6 pm m-f and i would need to charge her for a full-time spot to keep the space open for varying hours.

My kids are growing up, and so am i. Feels good.

No, better--it feels great!!!

daycare 10:41 AM 03-16-2011
lol my son wanted to be like daddy so he colored his face a rainbow mustache and beard....then asked can i get shaving cream I need to shave............lol this was the highlight of my day as the rest of it just stunk..... hes 3
SilverSabre25 05:47 AM 03-18-2011
It's a warm, cloudy, slightly humid day. The birds are singing. It's so quiet around here! Today it's only 8 mo dcg and 2.75 yo dcb. 2 yo dcg will be here for about two hours, and my 3.5 yo DD is at her grandparents' house until tomorrow (been there since yesterday).

DCB...I didn't know he could talk this much! He's keeping up a running commentary about what he's playing, asking questions, answering questions, being so sweet and wonderful...when DD is here he doesn't talk this much and spends his day antagonizing her.

Things are just so pleasant this morning!
momofsix 06:26 AM 03-24-2011
As my little 6 year old dcb was leaving yesterday, he says "Thanks miss.... for the GREAT day!" That really made MY day great!
Jenjo 07:58 AM 03-24-2011
Last night I was thinking how blessed I am to have such good parents. I have done daycare for 10+ years and have had such good parents through that time. Only a couple difficult ones. They love their children and are respectful towards me.
PeanutsGalore 10:40 AM 03-24-2011
I like this thread. I like even more that I finally have something to post!

This has been a really, really good week. We're used to DCG now, and she's also used to us. More important, she seems happier, which is important to me. I get a lot more smiles throughout the day now that I know how to better meet her needs.

Things went really smoothly this week with naptimes and mealtimes and playtimes. I noticed less aggression and tantrums, better behavior overall, and it was even easier to get them to sleep! This was also our first week of minimal TV (only 10 minutes of very specific music segments so far). I suspect that has something to do with the better behavior. I was using it as a crutch before and wanted to use it just a little bit less, but once I turned it off I found out that the kids didn't seem to miss it and with the apparent behavior change for the better, I left it off. Poor DCG though, she misses her TV! She saw her favorite characters on the screen when I turned on music videos and gave them the biggest smile like she was thinking, "where have you been all my life?!" I swear, she almost swooned! And seeing that we needed to fill that old TV time with something, we've read a lot more. Apparently, my son loves to read. Who'd 'ave thunk it?

I also had an awesome phone conversation with a prospective client who will be coming over to interview this weekend.

Life is good!
gbcc 12:51 PM 03-24-2011
I am feeling very positive today. I had an interview for daycare last night. This morning the mother called me and said that they decided to go with me for daycare because they loved my son. They said he was so hospitable, polite and sweet and if I did such a wonderful job raising him then I must also be a great provider!

I just thought that was very nice of her to express!
MommyMuffin 10:02 AM 03-25-2011
I am going to start my first class this summer. I am so excited. I feel energized now.
Cat Herder 07:39 AM 03-29-2011
I only have 3 today AND all are my "twice a day" nappers!!!! Can you believe it??

That never happens... I don't have to do half the cleaning or prep work today. I feel free and it is almost too quiet....

Knock on wood. The "Q" word is dangerous, after-all
laundrymom 09:18 AM 03-29-2011
chocolate covered potato chips. That is my positive of the day, lol. a hugely thick coating of gourmet dark chocolate, over a ruffle. Holy cow, fantabulous!!!
SilverSabre25 09:19 AM 03-29-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
chocolate covered potato chips. That is my positive of the day, lol. a hugely thick coating of gourmet dark chocolate, over a ruffle. Holy cow, fantabulous!!!
hey....now you made me hungry! I want some! Share, dang it!

Or at least eat half a dozen or so for me
laundrymom 09:38 AM 03-29-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
hey....now you made me hungry! I want some! Share, dang it!

Or at least eat half a dozen or so for me
they are sinfull!!! I got them at a local chocolatier. OMG amazing!!!!!
dEHmom 10:52 AM 03-29-2011
* is packing the kids up in a stroller......walking down the street to the store........buying potato chips...........walking home......melting chocolate in a pot.........dipping potato chips in chocolate........realizing this is far too much work................adding bag of reeses peanut butter chipets.................smashing the potato chips and pouring into the chocolate...........spooning it into mouth..........spooning into muffin cups........chilling in fridge............eating my homemade xmas chocolate balls...........*

DON'T TOUCH MY CHOCOLATE COVERED BALLS!

i make this at thanksgiving with left over easter chocolate, and at easter with left over xmas chocolate. you can substitute chips with rice crispies, peanuts or anything else.
SilverSabre25 12:26 PM 03-29-2011
Now I just want chocolate of ANY form. You two are making me crave it, you pests. And I don't have a chance to go get any today ::sticks out tongue::
kidkair 12:09 PM 03-30-2011
I stuck to my policies today! I require being paid in advance or getting papers from the county before I start care for any new kids. This person wanted to start her kids on Monday and when we got to the part where it would be a lot of money for 3 kids to start on such short notice she hung up! I could tell even before I called her back that I wasn't going to like her much since she called 2 times after leaving me a message. She also had sent me an e-mail all in caps which is one of my biggest red flags.

Second positive today: I'm rearranging the daycare rooms! I started using Fireflies a few weeks ago and they suggest centers for the kids. I have my rooms set up a little like centers but I'm going to establish the centers more clearly and follow the suggestions for each one for April and see how it goes.
SilverSabre25 07:15 AM 04-01-2011
Only DD, dcg 9 mos, and dcg 2 today! It's so calm today; I'm loving it! The baby is napping (I need to get her up soon though) and dd and dcg2 are coloring in the kitchen. I'm getting to hang out and do whatever I want because the kiddos are occupied and don't need me to monitor their behavior every single second. Normally I have 3 boys in addition to these kids. Such a different dynamic with all girls.

Ahhh...it feels like a vacation!
MarinaVanessa 06:40 AM 04-04-2011
Hello ladies. First off I would like to say that I missed you all and the forum very much in the fast few months. Life had gotten the better of me and I was pooped all of the time, but no more! I have simplified my life and saved my sanity and again now I have at least some free time. Being able to have some time to read and post on the forum because I have gotten more organized is the good thing that happened to me today.
SilverSabre25 06:15 AM 04-15-2011
I get to spend part of the FUN part of our tax refund this weekend! A sand and water table and a nice playhouse for outside!! I'm getting closer to having the outdoor space that I want for my sweet kiddos!

The icing on the cake was the 20% off one item coupon I got in my email from Toys R Us this morning...here's to 20% off the playhouse, baby!
kidkair 11:11 AM 04-15-2011
I've been fighting a cold all week. One kid stayed home with her parents today and the other kid got picked up early by grandma! I'm so lucky to have kids who have parents and grandparents who actually love spending time with their kids. Now I get to take a long nap and relax and get rid of this cold!
Meeko 12:14 PM 04-18-2011
Thirty years ago today I said "I do" to the most wonderful man in the universe!!
PitterPatter 07:29 PM 04-19-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
Thirty years ago today I said "I do" to the most wonderful man in the universe!!
Congrats!!
Abigail 08:05 PM 04-30-2011
So I purchased a bunch of felt story sets from a daycare that went out of business. I started going over all these stories to check out all the pieces and quality and when I got to the Goldilocks and the Three Bears story, I got to thinking...

The Goldilocks and Three Bears Story is obviously outdated.....the original story has papa bear and momma bear in separate beds. To make a modern version they'll have a sleep number bed and papa bear's side of the bed will be too firm and mamma bear's side of the bed will be too soft! LMAO!
Michelle 08:16 PM 05-01-2011
Last week I had an unannounced visit from licensing and I passed with flying colors. In fact she was so impressed with all the earthquake straps, my emergency preparedness , and go bag, etc. she said I should speak at one of the pre licensing meetings.
I was so proud because one of the parents showed up when she was leaving and she told the mom "you are lucky, this is a very good facility".
I don't think my head could get any bigger after that! lol
Well I'm just so happy.
MarinaVanessa 04:11 PM 05-02-2011
My baby (will be 6 months on the 10th) rolled over for the first time today!! He also says "mom" and when I'm not around and he says "mamamamamama" lol he makes me smile
kidkair 11:27 AM 05-03-2011
My husband was able to run out at noon to get milk for lunch. I had totally spaced that we were running low. I'm so happy he was home!

Oh and we just celebrated our first wedding anniversary!
squareone 12:49 PM 05-03-2011
I've had my eye on the IKEA Trofast toy storage system since before I opened my daycare. I found one on craiglsist for CHEAP!!! I got two separate frames with all the bins included for $30. I can't wait to close today so I can clean it up and start using it!!!
MarinaVanessa 04:06 PM 05-03-2011
Originally Posted by squareone:
I've had my eye on the IKEA Trofast toy storage system since before I opened my daycare. I found one on craiglsist for CHEAP!!! I got two separate frames with all the bins included for $30. I can't wait to close today so I can clean it up and start using it!!!
Ugh, I'm so jealous. (whining like a 3 yo).
MarinaVanessa 10:21 AM 05-05-2011
I had an interview early this morning and it went well. I liked the family and scheduled a 2nd interview for next week when the DC kids were here. Just as we were finishing up "6 more days" (now 4 more days) DCM comes by and is 10 minutes earlier than she was supposed to be. She introduces herself to potential client and gushes about how her son couldn't be at a better place, what a great program I have, etc. I'm thinking that she wants to be on my good side because she might need childcare in the summer. Little does she know that the other family that I signed as PT will go to FT as soon as this DC family's done and that if this family that I'm interviewing signs on they will also be FT making me completely full. So in essence "6 more days" mom is helping to keep herself out of my DC for sure .
laundrymom 10:32 AM 05-05-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I had an interview early this morning and it went well. I liked the family and scheduled a 2nd interview for next week when the DC kids were here. Just as we were finishing up "6 more days" (now 4 more days) DCM comes by and is 10 minutes earlier than she was supposed to be. She introduces herself to potential client and gushes about how her son couldn't be at a better place, what a great program I have, etc. I'm thinking that she wants to be on my good side because she might need childcare in the summer. Little does she know that the other family that I signed as PT will go to FT as soon as this DC family's done and that if this family that I'm interviewing signs on they will also be FT making me completely full. So in essence "6 more days" mom is helping to keep herself out of my DC for sure .
where is our like button????? Smiling from Indiana!!
MarinaVanessa 02:06 PM 05-05-2011
where is our like button????? Smiling from Indiana!!
Yeah me too. ... I keep thinking about it and chuckling about it. The kids must think ive gone off my rocker.
kidkair 12:57 PM 05-06-2011
I had an interview today! She actually showed up! I was so surprised and happy too! The little girl is adorable! The mom was very up front with behavior issues that all seem like normal 14 month old issues to me so that should be fine. I gave them paper work and asked that they return it today so that I have it before my vacation. I'm hopeful that they'll actually return it and be good clients.

Also: I'm now on vacation! (Once I'm done with paperwork, resetting the daycare, daycare laundry, and the like.)
laundrymom 10:11 AM 05-13-2011
a few months ago I told you guys about my friends daughter who has leukemia,.. well things had turned way worse. She developed a liver disease from the chemo,... two weeks ago she was given two options, try an experimental drug trial, or take her home. If the drugs didnt work she would take her home as well. So,.. she did it, and ,... today she is being released from the hosp with complete liver damage reversal. She "only" is fighting cancer now. Isnt that awesome!!!!???? she is going HOME, to her house because cancer is in remission and she is in maintenance chemo. !!!!
MarinaVanessa 02:34 PM 05-13-2011
a few months ago I told you guys about my friends daughter who has leukemia,.. well things had turned way worse. She developed a liver disease from the chemo,... two weeks ago she was given two options, try an experimental drug trial, or take her home. If the drugs didnt work she would take her home as well. So,.. she did it, and ,... today she is being released from the hosp with complete liver damage reversal. She "only" is fighting cancer now. Isnt that awesome!!!!???? she is going HOME, to her house because cancer is in remission and she is in maintenance chemo. !!!!
That is so awesome! I'm glad that things for her are doing better!!!
Sugar Magnolia 10:30 AM 05-17-2011
13 children, ages 16 months to 5 years, were absolutely fascinated and completely absorbed in my husband playing the violin for them at lunch time! Wow!
Michelle 06:44 AM 05-19-2011
I haven't been on for a while because my "precious" puppy chewed my power cord to my lap top.
Well, one trip to the Apple store and $80 later .... my computer LIVES
Meeko 10:07 AM 05-20-2011
My 16 year old daughter just called from the high school. She has been asked to sing the National Anthem at the soccer game tonight! As I don't finish work until 6PM I will miss it. Hubby is going to video it for me!) She's excited, but a bit nervous she'll forget the words! So I'll be nervous for her at 4:30 today!!!! These are the work things I hate the most. I'll be taking care of other people's kids when I want to be with my own!
sharlan 01:50 PM 05-20-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
My 16 year old daughter just called from the high school. She has been asked to sing the National Anthem at the soccer game tonight! As I don't finish work until 6PM I will miss it. Hubby is going to video it for me!) She's excited, but a bit nervous she'll forget the words! So I'll be nervous for her at 4:30 today!!!! These are the work things I hate the most. I'll be taking care of other people's kids when I want to be with my own!
Can you take the kids with you?
Meeko 04:46 PM 05-21-2011
I haven't seen my parents for two years. They fly in from England on Tuesday! They will be staying with us for 3 weeks. Gonna be good!
MommyMuffin 05:15 AM 05-26-2011
I bought a new bible and I found this in it and wanted to share it with you all.

Let The Children Laugh

Let the children laugh and be glad.
O my dear, they havent long before the world assaults them. Allow them genuine laughter now.
Laugh with them, till tears run down your faces...till a memory of pure delight and precious relationship is established within them, indestructible, personal and forever.

Soon enough they'll meet faces unreasonably enraged. Soon enough they'll be accused of things they did not do.

Soon enough they will suffer guilt at the hands of powerful people who can't accept their own guilt and who must dump it, therefore, on the weak.

In that day the children must be strengthened by self-confidence so they can
resist the criticism of fools.

But self confidence begins in the experience of childhood.
So give your children (your grandchildren, your nieces and nephews, the dear ones, children of your neighbors and your community) - give them golden days, their own pure days, in which they are so clearly and dearly beloved that they believe in love and in their own particular worth when love shall seem in short supply hereafter. Give them laughter.

Observe each child with individual attention to learn what triggers the guileless laugh in each. Is it a story? A game? Certain family traditions? Excursions? Elaborate fantasies? Simple winks? What?
Do that thing.
Because the laughter that is so easy in childhood must echo encouragement a long, long time. A lifetime.

Little Lamb, Who Made Thee?
Walter Wangerin, Jr

kidkair 04:40 PM 05-26-2011
I had a great interview today! I'm really hoping they contact me soon for the paperwork like they said they most likely will do. They said I was the second one to say yes to using cloth diapers and they really liked that I do sign language with the kids. And absolutely no screen time or battery operated toys was a huge plus for them.
Sunshine44 08:42 AM 06-06-2011
Have two potential clients that I'll be meeting with this summer.
kidkair 07:06 AM 06-07-2011
The potential clients I listed above signed paperwork yesterday for a fall start!

Also we got guppies to replace a goldfish that died. We got about a dozen of them and named them all Dave. I also taped the poem "Too Many Daves" to the fish tank. The two year old calls the guppies 'duckies'. So cute!
Sunshine44 09:23 AM 06-07-2011
That's great! And totally adorable that they are all "dave" and that they call them duckies!!
MommyMuffin 11:57 AM 06-07-2011
A few things that I am smiling about today!
I am 32 weeks pregnant and excited to meet my boy.
I decided I am going to term one of my dcks! This makes me so excited because then I will only have 3 pt and 1 ft dcks!!! I am buying a preschool curriculum for the year to work with my 3 year old on. And with less dcks I will then have time to spend with my 3 year old and my new baby!!
Yeah! Money will be very tight but I think it is for the best!
Lilbutterflie 01:09 PM 06-07-2011
I started a FT 6 mo old boy that has never been in daycare before, and is used to one on one adult attention, no consistent nap schedule, and always being rocked to sleep by Mom.

He is transitioning SO WELL! I am amazed. I have him on a consistent nap schedule already (Day 4), he is sleeping 1-2 hours at a time for every nap, and going down for his naps with very little fuss.

And to top it off, he is a super happy baby! Plays well, doesn't fuss unless he's hungry or tired; and he is SUPER CUTE!

Yay!!!
SimpleMom 08:59 AM 06-08-2011
Some of my kiddos are at Bible Camp this week. It's been really calm and quiet here!! Sooo weird. I didn't even have to start work until 8am and was able to clean up my room! woo-whoo! Waaay overdue for that.
Also, I got a new client for next week and one starting up in the Fall. Everyone I have is almost FT now. Two more FT and My goal will be reached!! It's taken about 5 years to really get this home daycare up and running full scale, but I finally see the light

I'm reallly enjoying my work. Love my kiddos and all my families I work with. It's just a good day
sharlan 03:27 PM 06-08-2011
I have a pinched nerve in my hip that causes excruciating pain in my knee if I stand. I was crying this morning before my husband took me to the chiropractor. The kids were upset because they've never seen me cry before. They made me stop at the door so that they could dry my tears and kiss my booboos better.

It's nice to see that we have empathetic little ones.
SimpleMom 05:26 AM 06-10-2011
aaaahhh! I don't start work til 8 today. I LOVE it! The beds are made, got to sleep in, can't beat that!
SimpleMom 12:03 PM 06-13-2011
ahhhh, I have a little piece of Heaven! All of the kiddos are sleeping and it's soooo quiet Even got the first load of Daycare laundry started up!! Yay!

Started a new little one today. Soooo cute and really a good fit. Parents are really nice as well. Good feeling.
SilverSabre25 01:10 PM 06-13-2011
The weather is gorgeous, this is our first day back to daycare after I had the baby 0 days ago, and we started a new little daycare girl today. The girl and my DD are getting along fabulously (as well as you can expect two 3 yos to get along, that is!) and the dcg napped longer than her parents said she would (which I figured, lol). DH is home and doing a great job with the kids--he's home all week to give me more time to relax and recover from the birth. The best part is that I'm already getting bored of having nothing I *have* to do and am feeling more and more ready to take up the usual thread of my duties again.

Not to mention the possible "out in the world" job I'm going to apply for, that if by some miracle I were to get, would be practically my dream job.

And, my baby is cute. Yep, it's a good day!
SimpleMom 08:20 AM 06-14-2011
So far, I have a late start I open at 10 30 so that I could get some appt. in for my kids. So quiet and very nice.
cyerob 09:25 AM 06-15-2011
Today I have spent my time with mom. We bond together in the mall and bought some

stuff shoes to be exact. Since I got married I didn't have much time spent with my

family. So having to bond with my mom makes it a good thing. I'd like my child to

grow where she finds her mom always there to guide her. That's what my mom did.

And I'm so proud of my mom. I love you mom!!
kidkair 12:44 PM 06-15-2011
And, my baby is cute. Yep, it's a good day!
This helped brighten my day!
AfterSchoolMom 01:13 PM 06-15-2011
Picture the MOST hyperactive, loud, obnoxious child that you can think of. Multiply that by 100.

Nope, this isn't a vent because....

Tomorrow is that child's last day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BusyBee 08:35 PM 06-15-2011
The kids kept running up to me and hugging my legs all day. And the toddlers kept giving each other hugs. Cute.
SimpleMom 07:38 AM 06-16-2011
Another quiet morning All of my kids and families are wonderful. I can't ask for more than that I'm having so much fun with all of the ages I work with and just love my job!! I'm learning all about balance with my own kids as well. That's been the hardest part to learn and probably ongoing, but it's getting so much easier
Meyou 07:43 AM 06-16-2011
My screamer has finally adjusted to the arrival of her baby sister and is back to my happy, giggling girl again.
Country Kids 07:56 AM 06-16-2011
Originally Posted by SimpleMom:
Another quiet morning All of my kids and families are wonderful. I can't ask for more than that I'm having so much fun with all of the ages I work with and just love my job!! I'm learning all about balance with my own kids as well. That's been the hardest part to learn and probably ongoing, but it's getting so much easier
I still struggle with balance and have been doing this forever. What have you found to work for you. I'm always up for suggestions and see what works for others.
AfterSchoolMom 05:44 AM 06-17-2011
Last Day of School!!!

Also the start of an 11 week vacation for me, where I get to spend time with my own kids alone.
sharlan 01:40 PM 06-17-2011
I got to go to the movies with the kids today. I've been confined to sitting for 13 days, so I was sooooooooo happy to get out.
Mike Lassiter 06:53 AM 06-19-2011
While I was at work 25 miles from home. a bad storm blows through our area again. Frances called me but I missed it. I saw her missed call and called her back a go straight to voice mail. Called home phone to hear tree tops broke out in yard, no power ect.
Almost home to my mother inlaws house to find a huge oak tree (about 70 years old) laying down across road. Power was out 9 hours, in fact we got our generator out to find I left gas in it from about 3 years ago and carburator was gummed up and has to be rebuilt. We drive to Jackson to Home Depot and spend $1000 for another one but when we get home we had power. Keeping generator, no house or other damage at my house ; yet around us neighbors had top of pole shed blown off again. They just replaced it from where last storm torn it off.
While inconvenienced, we have been very fortunate and I am grateful for our blessings.
Sugar Magnolia 11:55 AM 06-20-2011
In honor of the Big Man Clarence Clemons, we had an E-Street Band Dance Party today! The kids loved it! Even the 17 month old was cutting a serious rug! Hilarious!
kidkair 03:24 PM 06-22-2011
I got a call from a perspective and we talked about possible meeting times and he said he'd check with his wife and call me back. This happens so many times and I never hear from the person again so I was happily surprised that he called back! We set an interview and again was happily surprised that they actually showed up! The interview went great and the kid seemed happy in my environment but the parents wanted to talk it over so we ended with a 'let me know'. They said they'd call me later or the next day and part of me said 'yippy' and the other part said 'never hearing from them again like usual'. Then 4 hours later he calls up and asks to fill out paperwork on Monday and start the following week! I was so happy and excited that I jumped all over the house because I just got a new client! And one that follows what he says and my directions too!
SilverSabre25 01:44 PM 06-29-2011
!!!! After dcm asked me weeks ago if DCB could come on the 4th (I said yes...I'm weak, lol), I found out today that he probably won't be here!!! I'm THRILLED! I'll be able to take DD to the parade, and hang out just her and me and DS (DH will be working) and generally just not have to worry about things!!!
MarinaVanessa 04:42 PM 06-29-2011
!!!! After dcm asked me weeks ago if DCB could come on the 4th (I said yes...I'm weak, lol), I found out today that he probably won't be here!!! I'm THRILLED! I'll be able to take DD to the parade, and hang out just her and me and DS (DH will be working) and generally just not have to worry about things!!!
Yay! Happy fourth of July to you!!!
MarinaVanessa 04:22 PM 07-05-2011
I had decided to buy Keds for the DC kids and was going to do it this weekend and got so busy that I COMPLETELY forgot. I went online and Sears has a great sale that ends today and I got them for $20 a pair and NO SHIPPING! I had looked on Friday and they were on sale but at $23 a pair so I lucked out. I'm glad I forgot lol. I'm also getting a few 3-packs of white T-shirts (on sale for $7) and a couple of shorts ($3 a pair) so that the kids can all match. They'll look so cute.
Cat Herder 08:08 AM 07-07-2011
Whoot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2yo DCB just told me he needed to potty. I took him and he did it like a pro!!!

And so the 14 day countdown #1 begins.....

He is so proud....he did the "running man" dance.
rhymia1 04:42 PM 07-07-2011
My new assistant started this week. She is wonderful. I think I'm in love
kidkair 03:41 PM 07-08-2011
My new kid (13 months) was doing great with routine today and was much happier overall today. Still would like a longer afternoon nap but we'll get there.
And: A past client (left on good terms for valid reasons) asked about possibly coming back soon.
MarinaVanessa 04:56 PM 07-11-2011
I just realized today that as of 6pm this Friday I am officially on vacation . I'm SUPER excited and I'll be super busy. Saturday morning we're loading up the car and driving out to Las Vegas for a very short trip. My DH, my mom and I are driving out and staying just one night and really only to watch The Lion King . I'm SUPER STOKED. I'm taking the baby with me but we have friends that live there that have generously offered to watch him during the play and then we're all meeting after it for some dinner. We're staying one night at the Luxor and then doing some shopping on Sunday before heading back. Monday I unpack. Tuesday I pack again and load the car before having dinner with friends (for my birthday) and then Wednesday it's back on the road to Pismo CA for a week of camping, eating, relaxing and quad riding on the dunes. Not heading back until the following Saturday and then I get one last day to relax before coming back to reality.
Christina72684 06:24 PM 07-11-2011
I just realized today that as of 6pm this Friday I am officially on vacation . I'm SUPER excited and I'll be super busy. Saturday morning we're loading up the car and driving out to Las Vegas for a very short trip. My DH, my mom and I are driving out and staying just one night and really only to watch The Lion King . I'm SUPER STOKED. I'm taking the baby with me but we have friends that live there that have generously offered to watch him during the play and then we're all meeting after it for some dinner. We're staying one night at the Luxor and then doing some shopping on Sunday before heading back. Monday I unpack. Tuesday I pack again and load the car before having dinner with friends (for my birthday) and then Wednesday it's back on the road to Pismo CA for a week of camping, eating, relaxing and quad riding on the dunes. Not heading back until the following Saturday and then I get one last day to relax before coming back to reality.
Have you seen Lion King before? It's AMAZING!!!! I wanted to cry it was so beautiful and incredible and moving! If they ever come back to Indiana I definitely want to go! Have a great time!
MarinaVanessa 10:05 PM 07-11-2011
Originally Posted by Christina72684:
Have you seen Lion King before? It's AMAZING!!!! I wanted to cry it was so beautiful and incredible and moving! If they ever come back to Indiana I definitely want to go! Have a great time!
No, I've never seen it but EVERYONE that has says the same thing. I've been wanting to see it for years!! I live about an hour from Los Angeles anD they had The Lion King there and my DH has always said he'd take me but never did. Well they stopped doing the show in LA and went to Vegas. Again he said he'd take me and well, we've been to Vegas 4 times since then and he STILL hasn't taken me. This will be the last year they do the Vegas show and so they'll only have the one in New York so I told him he'd better take me or I was making him take me to see it in NY. He booked this trip a week later . I've been waiting for this weekend FOREVER!!
sharlan 07:22 AM 07-12-2011
My daughter just called to say my sil is going to the beach with us. The kids love it because he'll spend the whole time out in the water with them. I can sit under my canopy and chill, read a book or two.
SilverSabre25 08:01 AM 07-12-2011
Just finished making doctor, eye doctor, and dentist appointments for the whole family--including DH's cardiologist appointment that he refuses to schedule for himself.
MarinaVanessa 07:30 AM 07-15-2011
Today is the last day that I work before I go on a one week vacation. Right now I have 3 DCK's signed up. Yesterday I was told that one DCB would not be here today so it lightens my load. This morning I got a call that DCG will not be here either which left only one DCB and my 2 kids. One day before vacation and I only have one DCK coming ... kind of made me wish that the last DCB would not come in today either . On the other hand I had fun activities planned for today that I wouldn't be able to do. Then just a few minutes ago I get a call from my SIL wondering if her 2 boys could come (yes, she will pay lol) and I said yes. That means that I can still do my activities and the load still won't be as heavy as if they were regular DCK's. They're my nephews and one 8 and he behaves (for me anyway) and will be more help than anything. Whoo-hoo!! 10 hours until vacation AND it's FRIDAY!! Oh and everyone paid for next week (my vacation) with no problems.
MarinaVanessa 10:05 AM 07-18-2011
Just got back from Las Vegas yesterday and I had a wonderful time. We stayed at the Luxor (I have a thing for Egyptian stuff), did some shopping, sight seeing and watched the Lion King (which was absolutely wonderful). We also visited with friends that live there. It was a great trip. On the way back be stopped in Baker, CA and I bought some alien jerky and got a souvenir squished penny with an alien on it lol. I also saw the "worlds biggest thermometer". Then we stopped at Charlie Brown's and got smoothies. I wanted to see the ghost town off of the pear blossom highway but DH would have none of it .

I'm closed this week but I got a late call (10:30pm) from SIL for emergency care for my nephews. I told her I was closed but that as a favor I'd take the boys ... at the regular daily rate of course AND that she had to either leave extra money for food or had to supply food for them because I didn't buy any cuz I wasn't expecting kids this week and I'll be leaving on Wednesday for our camping trip. She was ok with that so here I am relaxing on my vacation and the kids are watching TV and playing with the dogs. I'm making money while relaxing ... awesome
Michelle 10:07 PM 07-20-2011
Just got back from Ikea!!
Love it, I have never been there before. I bought an easel for just $15 and lots of cute plates, cups,bowels, and an abacus, lazy susan, ....lot's of cool stuff
So so, happy and I can't wait to go back...
SilverSabre25 07:36 AM 07-21-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
Just got back from Ikea!!
Love it, I have never been there before. I bought an easel for just $15 and lots of cute plates, cups,bowels, and an abacus, lazy susan, ....lot's of cool stuff
So so, happy and I can't wait to go back...
fun!!! love ikea...love the easel, too. did you get the big roll of paper that goes with it?
Michelle 08:18 AM 07-21-2011
fun!!! love ikea...love the easel, too. did you get the big roll of paper that goes with it?
Yep! in fact I was just in the room "installing" it
The dry erase board is sooo cool, all the older kids are playing teacher right now writing Welcome students, my name is____ . I want to get the table and chairs next. Just can't decide what color. Probably blue.
I had to check out ikea because I kept hearing on this board how everybody gets cool thing there. They also have free childcare at my Ikea.. I put my dd in there, shopped alone for one hour then got her out and she "helped " me with the rest!
sharlan 04:08 PM 07-21-2011
Both mommies are off today. They got together and took the kids to Knott's. I've been ALONE all day, what a wonderful treat.
Michelle 06:15 PM 07-21-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Both mommies are off today. They got together and took the kids to Knott's. I've been ALONE all day, what a wonderful treat.
wow!, cool, I wouldn't know how to be alone!
I wouldn't even know what to do!
So, what did you do?
sharlan 01:36 PM 07-22-2011
wow!, cool, I wouldn't know how to be alone!
I wouldn't even know what to do!
So, what did you do?
I did laundry, scrubbed the laundryroom and my bathroom. I folded 3 loads of towels that were sitting in a basket waiting to be folded.Plus, played on here all day.

I didn't even take my shower until 8 last night.
kidkair 01:45 PM 07-28-2011
I get an unscheduled day off tomorrow because all my families decided to keep their kids tomorrow! I'm so lucky!

Also one of my daycare parents said "You're the best! I'd never manage without you. Thank you!" So very awesome to hear stuff like that!

And I started putting my 13 month old on a mat for naps and he's slept a solid 2 hours now versus the 1.25 I often got in the portacrib. The first two days were rocky but now he's got it and was out like a light today!
Michelle 10:26 AM 07-29-2011
Originally Posted by kidkair:
I get an unscheduled day off tomorrow because all my families decided to keep their kids tomorrow! I'm so lucky!

Also one of my daycare parents said "You're the best! I'd never manage without you. Thank you!" So very awesome to hear stuff like that!

And I started putting my 13 month old on a mat for naps and he's slept a solid 2 hours now versus the 1.25 I often got in the portacrib. The first two days were rocky but now he's got it and was out like a light today!
awesome, I love it when parents appreciate us !!!
Michelle 10:36 AM 07-29-2011
Got back from Disneyland at 1:30 am with all my sweet dck's
I wonder if I charged over time for this trip how much it would add up to? This was my choice to stay late. 5 of the kids have never been to Disneyland. We also went to California Adventure.
Everything went perfect , got lots of pictures with Mickey and Cinderella castle.
Saw World of Color and more rides I can ever imagine to go on with 12 kids..We didn't take any babies just 4-12 year olds.

One of my biggest fears was a child walking off but they were perfectly behaved and the parents very grateful.
sharlan 12:26 PM 07-29-2011
Got back from Disneyland at 1:30 am with all my sweet dck's
I wonder if I charged over time for this trip how much it would add up to? This was my choice to stay late. 5 of the kids have never been to Disneyland. We also went to California Adventure.
Everything went perfect , got lots of pictures with Mickey and Cinderella castle.
Saw World of Color and more rides I can ever imagine to go on with 12 kids..We didn't take any babies just 4-12 year olds.

One of my biggest fears was a child walking off but they were perfectly behaved and the parents very grateful.
You're braver than I am. I haven't gone since school got out, TOO crowded for me.
MG&Lsmom 05:11 PM 07-29-2011
My new dcg went right to sleep in <5 mins today after spending 1/2 of nap time awake yesterday!
Michelle 12:28 AM 07-30-2011
You're braver than I am. I haven't gone since school got out, TOO crowded for me.
Actually, Disneyland was so crowded, we ended up staying at Calif. adventure for most of the day. We did manage to get in about 5 rides though at Disneyland. The best time to go is like Jan. on a Wed. in the middle of the day.
You can just walk onto rides. There was a 2 hour wait for Star tours!!!
Pammie 08:14 AM 07-30-2011
I'm so excited I could burst!!

Several times each year I have events for my "Daycare Alumni" kids - kids that have grown up in my daycare but have since aged-out, so that they can come back and catch up with me and the other kids that grew up with them - since they're all in different schools and different sports/activity circles now.

Today, I'm having an Alumni Picnic with a "Minute To Win It" theme - sent out my invites a couple of weeks ago - and I had 19 of my alumni kids respond that they'll be here!! These kids are all ages 20 down to my newest "alum" who is 6 and just aged-out of school-year daycare this June:-)) Apparently, the "girls" were so excited about this that they all got together at one of their houses this week and made tie-dye team shirts for themselves A couple of the kids have jobs now, and will even be over later this evening after their work shift is over. I've been getting texts all week from different kids telling me that they're excited to come!

My daughter is coming to help - she lives at college - but is now Facebook Friends with many of these kids (she grew up with them too) and is excited to see them all in person.

I'm positively giddy that these kids are as excited as I am to come to my picnic today!
MarinaVanessa 01:32 PM 07-30-2011
Actually, Disneyland was so crowded, we ended up staying at Calif. adventure for most of the day. We did manage to get in about 5 rides though at Disneyland. The best time to go is like Jan. on a Wed. in the middle of the day.
You can just walk onto rides. There was a 2 hour wait for Star tours!!!
The absolute best day to go to Disneyland is super bowl Sunday. No joke. We did it one year and we ended up leaving the park at 5pm because we dis the entire thing including some rides twice and got bored. I never realized that you can walk into the castle (drawbridge) and there was a little walkthrough of Sleeping Beauty until that time. We were always so busy and in a hurry to go to the next ride and stand in line. Take someone with a handicap placard too, you get parking right next to the tram that takes ou to the gates
Michelle 01:40 PM 07-30-2011
The absolute best day to go to Disneyland is super bowl Sunday. No joke. We did it one year and we ended up leaving the park at 5pm because we dis the entire thing including some rides twice and got bored. I never realized that you can walk into the castle (drawbridge) and there was a little walkthrough of Sleeping Beauty until that time. We were always so busy and in a hurry to go to the next ride and stand in line. Take someone with a handicap placard too, you get parking right next to the tram that takes ou to the gates
yep, we took a girl one year that had down syndrome and we got to go to the front of the line for almost every ride.
We tried to go to the espn zone in down town disney last year to watch the Superbowl on the big screens..it was a joke!!! 3 hour line just to get in and they couldn't guarantee a table , we should have just jumped on the monorail and had fun!!!
Michelle 01:41 PM 07-30-2011
Originally Posted by Pammie:

Several times each year I have events for my "Daycare Alumni" kids - kids that have grown up in my daycare but have since aged-out, so that they can come back and catch up with me and the other kids that grew up with them - since they're all in different schools and different sports/activity circles now.

Today, I'm having an Alumni Picnic with a "Minute To Win It" theme - sent out my invites a couple of weeks ago - and I had 19 of my alumni kids respond that they'll be here!! These kids are all ages 20 down to my newest "alum" who is 6 and just aged-out of school-year daycare this June:-)) Apparently, the "girls" were so excited about this that they all got together at one of their houses this week and made tie-dye team shirts for themselves A couple of the kids have jobs now, and will even be over later this evening after their work shift is over. I've been getting texts all week from different kids telling me that they're excited to come!

My daughter is coming to help - she lives at college - but is now Facebook Friends with many of these kids (she grew up with them too) and is excited to see them all in person.

I'm positively giddy that these kids are as excited as I am to come to my picnic today!
That is just so cool!
I know you will have fun!!
sharlan 01:56 PM 07-30-2011
My dh has to use a mobility scooter to get around DL. We generally go every Mon during the school year. We generally get there shortly after the park opens, walk onto most rides, and leave when the kids are done about 2 or 3. I haven't been there at night since Halloween 2 1/2 yrs ago.
sharlan 01:58 PM 07-30-2011
Originally Posted by Pammie:

That's so neat. Most of my former daycare kids live out of state. I keep in touch with only a few here.
Michelle 11:35 PM 07-30-2011
My dh has to use a mobility scooter to get around DL. We generally go every Mon during the school year. We generally get there shortly after the park opens, walk onto most rides, and leave when the kids are done about 2 or 3. I haven't been there at night since Halloween 2 1/2 yrs ago.
You have got to see world of color, they will put you int he front row because handicap people go on first and get the best seats, but you have to reserve it.. free to reserve just do it as soon as you get there.
Tags:fun stuff, great news, happy, positive, tgif
First ... 6 7 8 9 10 18  ... Last
Reply Up