Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Boy Already Napped at My Naptime..What to Do?
My4SunshineGirlsNY 09:54 AM 04-15-2010
My 16 month daycare boy comes at 12:15, right in the middle of the day. His grandma brings him to me as she watches him in the morning until she has to go to work for a few hours..I have him from 12:15-4:45 (except Tues. I get him at 10a.m.-3:30). The little boy lives with his mom and Grandma (dad is not in the picture).

His mom and Grandma don't have him on any schedule at home..his naps are sporadic, the Grandma says sometimes he falls asleep early and other times a little later.

Today Grandma came at 12:15 and said he just woke up from his morning nap. My nap time is from 12:30-2:30...and he's too little to just lay there quietly and understand what that means.

What would you do? Just put him for a nap anyway if it's you're normal naptme? I could mention to the grandma to get him on a schedule at home but honestly I don't think she will follow through..he is a VERY busy toddler and she's getting up there in age and will let him sleep if he's sleeping. I was just curious what you other ladies would do if you were in this situation. Thanks.
DBug 10:04 AM 04-15-2010
I would try to put him in his usual sleeping spot for the duration of naptime with some books and quiet toys. I prefer to keep the schedule intact no matter what time kids show up. But, if that doesn't work and if he's keeping other little ones up, I'd put him in a high chair with the books and toys, maybe a snack, and let him sit there during naptime. Since all of my cot-sleepers sleep in the playroom, there's no way I could let a little one loose during nap. I would avoid talking, but if I had to, I'd whisper to him, and then go about with my normal naptime activities ... tidying, laundry, computer time, etc.

Good luck with it! I don't know how parents/grandparents get anything done without a schedule ...
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 10:05 AM 04-15-2010
we all do the same things every day here. everyone naps, eats, plays and goes potty at the same time. (well they potty whenever they need to but we have routine times that we go) Its the only way I can keep things moving. I have one who comes in at 11 in not having eaten breakfast, just gotten up for the day. and he is on the same routine as everyone else. lunch, then nap. If they have outgrown the nap,.. they have outgrown me.
momma2girls 10:10 AM 04-15-2010
Originally Posted by laundryduchess@yahoo.com:
we all do the same things every day here. everyone naps, eats, plays and goes potty at the same time. (well they potty whenever they need to but we have routine times that we go) Its the only way I can keep things moving. I have one who comes in at 11 in not having eaten breakfast, just gotten up for the day. and he is on the same routine as everyone else. lunch, then nap. If they have outgrown the nap,.. they have outgrown me.
I agree mine are all on the same schedule as well. I would lay him down with the others. GOod luck!!
mrs.meg 09:45 AM 04-16-2010
Mine are all on the same schedule to. Rest-time is rest time, no matter what age at my house. I just had that conversation with a mom on Wednesday, she didn't like it but I didn't care!: It seems like lots of people just do not respect the schedule here and it drives me crazy!
MarinaVanessa 12:24 PM 04-16-2010
I run on a schedule too. Babies take two naps instead of the one that the older kids take. I would talk to the grandparent's and explain that unless the infant can nap during this time in your daycare (because you do have to eat and pee at some point of the day) then you won't be able to take him in until after your nap time. I had a mom like this too so it helped her get her son back into a routine at home too.
Tags:naptime, schedule
Reply Up