Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Buying in Bulk?
Southern Mama 10:52 AM 12-09-2012
Has anybody done any extensive research on buying in bulk? paper towels, wipes, lysol, food, office supplies etc. I know there are the typical Sam's Club and Costco, but has anybody sat down and REALLY compared prices. I did research on the Bounty Select a Size paper towels I like and it seems like Walmart is cheaper than anywhere else. Do you know if this is the case across the board? Or should I shop around for each individual item? I checked Diapers.com and Soap.com and as much as people rave about those sites, they seemed high to me. Where do you guys like to do your bulk shopping? Or shopping in general? Thanks!
SilverSabre25 11:50 AM 12-09-2012
Costco. We get TP and Paper Towels from there (as far as paper goods go). The prices are good and I like not having to remember to buy the stuff constantly. We get the Kirkland brand of both and the quality is good (not amazing but not super cheap--middle of the road).

Diapers--I find Target's diapers to be cheaper even than bulk ones from Costco and they are good quality. I get Target wipes too, as a style preference.

I don't use Lysol wipes or anything.

Food--I like Costco for their selection of natural and organic food and produce. It's awesome, and most organic stuff is the same price as conventional stuff at the regular grocery--so I am thrilled to get it. The produce is FANTASTIC in quality, too. Very seasonal, too, which I love.

Office Supplies--I get construction paper, tape, and regular white printer paper at costco and the prices are decent. I get batteries too, and the kirkland ones are really good for a great price.

So yeah. I shop costco and then Kroger, and some at Target. I thought long, long, long about the costco before going for it last year and I am SO glad we did. It's been wonderful and we're renewing our membership.
LaLa1923 12:34 PM 12-09-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Costco. We get TP and Paper Towels from there (as far as paper goods go). The prices are good and I like not having to remember to buy the stuff constantly. We get the Kirkland brand of both and the quality is good (not amazing but not super cheap--middle of the road).

Diapers--I find Target's diapers to be cheaper even than bulk ones from Costco and they are good quality. I get Target wipes too, as a style preference.

I don't use Lysol wipes or anything.

Food--I like Costco for their selection of natural and organic food and produce. It's awesome, and most organic stuff is the same price as conventional stuff at the regular grocery--so I am thrilled to get it. The produce is FANTASTIC in quality, too. Very seasonal, too, which I love.

Office Supplies--I get construction paper, tape, and regular white printer paper at costco and the prices are decent. I get batteries too, and the kirkland ones are really good for a great price.

So yeah. I shop costco and then Kroger, and some at Target. I thought long, long, long about the costco before going for it last year and I am SO glad we did. It's been wonderful and we're renewing our membership.

I have done extensive research at several stores! Comparing them all item by item.

For baby wipes SAMS club, plus they come with a little top so another box isn't necessary.

For DIAPERS LUVS at walmart, much better quality for the same price if not cheaper than target and walmart store brands etc.

I find TP and paper towels at Sams club to be the same as walmart just in bulk.

I like the variety of food at sams VS costco.

Overall, Sams club was cheaper than costco.
LaLa1923 12:37 PM 12-09-2012
Originally Posted by elizabethkc:
Has anybody done any extensive research on buying in bulk? paper towels, wipes, lysol, food, office supplies etc. I know there are the typical Sam's Club and Costco, but has anybody sat down and REALLY compared prices. I did research on the Bounty Select a Size paper towels I like and it seems like Walmart is cheaper than anywhere else. Do you know if this is the case across the board? Or should I shop around for each individual item? I checked Diapers.com and Soap.com and as much as people rave about those sites, they seemed high to me. Where do you guys like to do your bulk shopping? Or shopping in general? Thanks!
I also like select a size. But I found Sparkle (select a size) to be more cost affective.

BTW, those sites ARE expensive.

Office supplies, lysol wipes, are cheaper at SAMS club.

Feel free to ask me any questions!!
Michael 02:28 PM 12-09-2012
also, https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33178
Unregistered 09:29 AM 12-10-2012
Originally Posted by Southern Mama:
I LOVE BJS club they have there own monthly coupon books, new in store coupons every other week, and they accept manufactors coupons AND you can use more then one manufactor coupon on one item as long as it has more then one barcode.

I buy snacks, milk, eggs, lunchmeats, cereal,toilet paper, storage bags, cleaning supplies, toilet paper, diapers, and wipes at BJS

I buy all my meat, and frozen items at Sams club

I buy all my canned goods, boxed goods at aldis
melilley 10:06 AM 12-10-2012
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
I have done extensive research at several stores! Comparing them all item by item.

For baby wipes SAMS club, plus they come with a little top so another box isn't necessary.

For DIAPERS LUVS at walmart, much better quality for the same price if not cheaper than target and walmart store brands etc.

I find TP and paper towels at Sams club to be the same as walmart just in bulk.

I like the variety of food at sams VS costco.

Overall, Sams club was cheaper than costco.
I used to love Luvs, but I noticed (at least with the size 2's) that the Luvs are not as wide as the Target brand. My son is in the size 2's and I kept buying the Luvs and my DH kept buying Target brand (he's a manager there) and I did notice that the Luvs were tighter so I compared them and yep, the Target brand was wider. I thought my son was going to have to move to a size 3 already...lol Just thought I would let you know
NeedaVaca 10:16 AM 12-10-2012
I can see the convenience of buying in bulk but to be honest I get stuff WAY cheaper by couponing. I get name brand items at a fraction of the cost and when it's a great sale I stock up for 3-6 months or more. This way when I am buying things that I go through fast I always have a supply on hand!
spud912 01:14 PM 12-10-2012
I usually type up my weekly grocery list, compare every store's weekly ads to what's on my list and what I will need in the future, and type up who has the best price onto my grocery list (next to the item). This process takes about one hour to plan the weekly meals and make the list. Then I go to Wal-Mart and price match the stores. This way I save on money and gas because I don't have to go to multiple stores. For example, this week I got 12 huge rolls of Bounty (select a size) for $6.99, regularly $14.99. Our grocery list every week (including toiletries and some basic arts and crafts) usually ends up being between $100 and 150, which feeds our family of 4 and 4 additional daycare children for the week. We eat very little processed and frozen foods, so I think we do pretty good. Of course, I know there are others who do a million times better than us, but for the small amount of time invested it's not too bad.
Tags:bulk, buy in bulk, buying in bulk, shopping, snacks, supplies
Reply Up