Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Want to Ask Parents...
Liliya 09:27 AM 06-24-2010
to bring a bag of play sand for our sand box,
I have to say that I never ask them for anything, some of them even asked me before if we need snacks or something. I always say:
Thank you! We are good.
What do you think? would it be OK to ask? How do I tell them? e-mail? letter? face to face?
Please help! I have 5 families. 2 with 2 children, do just tell them bag/child? or just live it up to them?
Crystal 09:40 AM 06-24-2010
I'd type up a short memo, and I think hard copy or email is fine:

Dear Parents:

we are requesting that our families each contribute one bag of clean play sand for our children's sand box. The children LOVE sand play, and your contribution will ensure that they have the opportuntiy to engage in sand play as they choose.

Thank you,

My4SunshineGirlsNY 09:43 AM 06-24-2010
I personally don't ask my daycare parents for anything. I guess I feel it is my business, it is my responsibility to provide what is needed to run my business. At times I feel I should be charging more to cover these expenses though. I know GBCC did a fundraiser for her daycare..that is a good idea to get more expensive daycare items.
judytrickett 09:44 AM 06-24-2010
Don't take this the wrong way................

I think if you run a business then it is your job and your expense to have on hand what is needed to run that business. And, if you provide daycare and have a sandbox then SAND counts too.

I think it's unprofessional to ask a parent to cover the expenses of day to day operation. That's what fees are for.
DCMom 09:53 AM 06-24-2010
I don't think I would ask for sand; I agree with previous posters that it is a business expense. Though if you feel that your dc parents wouldn't mind the request, then go for it!
Greenshadow 10:02 AM 06-24-2010
I wouldnt ask for sand either. I have a sandbox and buy my own. When it gets low, I buy more. I have asked them for craft supply items like old magazines, toilet paper rolls, etc.
Liliya 10:04 AM 06-24-2010
Originally Posted by judytrickett:
Don't take this the wrong way................

I think if you run a business then it is your job and your expense to have on hand what is needed to run that business. And, if you provide daycare and have a sandbox then SAND counts too.

I think it's unprofessional to ask a parent to cover the expenses of day to day operation. That's what fees are for.
I agree with you 100% ,this is why I never ask for anything.
In my state our DHS Licensing requires this "Complete one documented project or activity involving families in child care"
So, I thought that will be good.
Off course this is if you want to have a 3 star rating! If not,then you do not have to do anything.
Last year we made 2 Easter baskets for families in need and I did asked parents to bring what they can. All of them participate and kids were happy to put them together.
fctjc1979 10:07 AM 06-24-2010
Originally Posted by Greenshadow:
I wouldnt ask for sand either. I have a sandbox and buy my own. When it gets low, I buy more. I have asked them for craft supply items like old magazines, toilet paper rolls, etc.
I think asking for items that people have on hand rather than buy is fine: like the tp rolls and old magazines. But I agree with the other posters that if it is something that should be bought, that should be provided by the daycare unless it is for a specific child. If it's for a specific child (like diapers for instance) than that is provided by the parent. Possible exceptions to this would be things that parents bring in voluntarily for the group (like snacks on birthdays for instance).
tenderhearts 10:10 AM 06-24-2010
I agree with the others, our business our responsibility to "buy" what is needed. It's a write off anyways. I think sand is pretty cheap too, at least here where I live.
boysx5 10:11 AM 06-24-2010
I agree that as providers we should supply what is needed. I only asked for diapers and wipes and most times I buy the wipes as well.
Liliya 10:19 AM 06-24-2010
OK,OK I am not going to ask for sand anymore, maybe I should invite them to do a yard work at our daycare??? just to make my Licensing unit happy!
emosks 10:37 AM 06-24-2010
I would not ask for sand or anything for that matter. This is my business. Other places of business do not ask you to donate so they can operate.
originalkat 10:38 AM 06-24-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I'd type up a short memo, and I think hard copy or email is fine:

Dear Parents:

we are requesting that our families each contribute one bag of clean play sand for our children's sand box. The children LOVE sand play, and your contribution will ensure that they have the opportuntiy to engage in sand play as they choose.

Thank you,

I dont think there is anything wrong with asking for sand. Lots of parents (at least ones I have had) look at it like they are contributing to their child's education when they donate things). I don't usually ask for anything, but that is just because I would rather buy what I want myself so I know I get the right thing. But I get parents asking me what they can bring to enrich the program. One parent donated a kiddie pool. Another donated $20 so I could get the kids ice cream when the ice cream truck came by. If you want to ask the parents, I would word it as Crystal suggested and I might also list where they could pick it up (Lowes, Home Depot, Toys-r-Us).
Daycare Mommy 10:38 AM 06-24-2010
I just buy ours as needed out of the daycare fees. Though maybe if you do newsletters you could slip in a little section with a list of items that the daycare could benefit from being donated. Like children's books, used toys in good working condition, low shelving for the reading corner, whatever craft supplies you may need for upcoming projects, bags of play sand, mulch for the daycare kid's garden or under the playsets, etc. If you don't do newsletters pehaps you could post a flyer with the list near your entryway for them to see. That way if they want to help great! If not, they won't feel put upon or forced into paying for the supplies on top of the tuition.
DCMom 11:46 AM 06-24-2010
Originally Posted by originalkat:
Lots of parents (at least ones I have had) look at it like they are contributing to their child's education when they donate things). I don't usually ask for anything, but that is just because I would rather buy what I want myself so I know I get the right thing. But I get parents asking me what they can bring to enrich the program. One parent donated a kiddie pool. Another donated $20 so I could get the kids ice cream when the ice cream truck came by.
I started rethinking my answer~I don't ask for them to supply things, mostly because I want what I like~but my dc parents love to contribute things! I bet yours would too. So, I've changed my mind. I don't think it would be bad for you to ask~you probably will get more than you need :-)

Just to brag a little...some things my families have done~one dad just refinished my old dining room table and benches that use for daycare and it looks brand new! A few years ago, a dc grandpa built a kid sized picnic table big enough for 12 to sit at~he even included the paint for touch ups and the umbrella. One year they all went together bought a jumper for the daycare; I still have that thing and they love it! Several parents order pizzas to be delivered on their child's birthday. One mom works for a large national company and we have enough sticky notes and tape until I retire! And just this week, one mom brought bubbles, chalk, jump ropes, splash balls and water balloons. She said she was at the Dollar Store and thought of me, I'm not sure I know how to take that!

You know, it makes their kids feel special, too. That they can contribute to their day.
QualiTcare 02:28 PM 06-24-2010
i wouldn't ask...

and the parents more than likely would do it, but i doubt it would be cus they want to. it would be cus they don't want their kid to be the one that didn't bring what they were supposed to.

the only time i think it's okay to ask for stuff is if it's something like bottles, toilet paper rolls....free stuff that is hard to collect on your own.
TGT09 02:34 PM 06-24-2010
I've had dc mom's bring treats of all kinds. One Mom offers to buy so many things every few months...why would I say no? It's her child and I normally have her child by herself for at least a few hours a day.

We are having a garage sale fundraiser to help with our adoption and one of my dcg's just brought me a big bag of her toys this morning. Of course, I didn't ask her to do that and her Mom says she's been talking about our adoption a ton lately. Her Mom let her pick whatever she wanted to give. I about burst into tears and gave her a huge hug...I made a big deal about it.

I KNOW for a fact that my parents would love to contribute if they only knew what I needed. I think if you have parents that you think would have no problem then by all means do it!
Childminder 04:23 PM 06-24-2010
Don't ask them to contribute just put up a "wish list" on the door or in a newsletter. I have parents that ask what to bring or contribute and am always republishing my list. Make them and the children feel special to give. Our schoolteachers do the same thing and attach their lists to the monthly newsletters.
nannyde 05:01 PM 06-24-2010
One thing you could do is a fundraiser. I did this years ago for a community service for my day care.

We did a "sock walk" where we had parents sign up for a dime a block. We used all the proceeds to buy socks for a Head Start classroom in our inner city. We had parents who donated socks and some who gave us a dime a block for a couple of weeks.

We called the fundrasier "Socks for Tots" I called the Head Start and asked them what they could really use. They said socks. They said they had so many kids come in either no socks, mismatched socks, or ill fitting socks. We decided to help them out by donating enough socks to give each kid two six packs and enough for spares for the school to keep on hand.

We were able to donate a giant case of toddler socks to the school. It was really fun. The parents loved keeping track of how many blocks their kid walked a day/week and were happy to give us six/seven bucks a week for their contribution. We even got the Kiwanis Club to donate 25 dollars for it too. Wal Mart was super nice to us and let us buy them at cost.

You could do some version of that.
mac60 03:39 AM 06-25-2010
My kids were in 2 different daycare centers, and both of them asked us to bring in items. Kleenex, sunscreen, crayons,etc to name a few. My dad and I even made a coat rack to hang on the wall that could hold 50 coats because they didn't have coat racks for the kids coats. This place raised their rates every year and still expected us to bring in items.

I had a friend whose 2 boys went to home daycare, and she was given a list each Friday of food to bring in on Monday. Her list cost her approx $20/25 per week. When my own kids went to a homedaycare, during the summer when they were there all week, I took in a paper bag full of groceries each week, never was asked, just did it.

So, I like the Wish List idea. In my area, the going rate for home daycare is $80 to $85 per week for full time. I have never figured it out, but just how much of that money actually becomes mine, after I feed 2 meals, 2 snacks, have my air on or heat on to be comfortable, buy supplies for activities, cleaning products, the time after hours to clean, the wear and tear, the taxes out of my income. Yes, we do get good deductions, but, I still have to buy groceries every week and that benefit for meal allowances doesn't come till the following year.

I understand both sides of ok to ask, not ok to ask. My own situation, I am bad as I don't give regular rate increases to existing families. I do increase rates on new families coming in, or if an child is added to a family. In October when hubby lost his job, there have been many weeks where I have had to decide to pay a bill or buy groceries. It sucks, but it is reality right now. I am floored that in 10 months, not 1 parent has ever brought in a bag of cookies, a loaf of bread, a box of mac and cheese, etc. They pay my rate, I understand it is not their responsibility, but I will tell you, that 25 years ago, it would not of been this way, people looked out for one another back in the day, we are talking their own children. Not any more. It is all about me me me. They drive up in the $30,000 SUV's, brag about how 2 working adults earning over $30 per hour between them have a child on Medicaid, etc.
momofboys 04:31 AM 06-25-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
My kids were in 2 different daycare centers, and both of them asked us to bring in items. Kleenex, sunscreen, crayons,etc to name a few. My dad and I even made a coat rack to hang on the wall that could hold 50 coats because they didn't have coat racks for the kids coats. This place raised their rates every year and still expected us to bring in items.

I had a friend whose 2 boys went to home daycare, and she was given a list each Friday of food to bring in on Monday. Her list cost her approx $20/25 per week. When my own kids went to a homedaycare, during the summer when they were there all week, I took in a paper bag full of groceries each week, never was asked, just did it.

So, I like the Wish List idea. In my area, the going rate for home daycare is $80 to $85 per week for full time. I have never figured it out, but just how much of that money actually becomes mine, after I feed 2 meals, 2 snacks, have my air on or heat on to be comfortable, buy supplies for activities, cleaning products, the time after hours to clean, the wear and tear, the taxes out of my income. Yes, we do get good deductions, but, I still have to buy groceries every week and that benefit for meal allowances doesn't come till the following year.

I understand both sides of ok to ask, not ok to ask. My own situation, I am bad as I don't give regular rate increases to existing families. I do increase rates on new families coming in, or if an child is added to a family. In October when hubby lost his job, there have been many weeks where I have had to decide to pay a bill or buy groceries. It sucks, but it is reality right now. I am floored that in 10 months, not 1 parent has ever brought in a bag of cookies, a loaf of bread, a box of mac and cheese, etc. They pay my rate, I understand it is not their responsibility, but I will tell you, that 25 years ago, it would not of been this way, people looked out for one another back in the day, we are talking their own children. Not any more. It is all about me me me. They drive up in the $30,000 SUV's, brag about how 2 working adults earning over $30 per hour between them have a child on Medicaid, etc.
My own school-age boys went to preschool 3 mornings a week at a center that also operated as a daycare. They made us pay a supply fee of $30 every school year for various items. In addition they would routinely ask us to bring in snacks & also paper products (toilet paper rolls, empty food boxes to create a play grocery, etc). I personally have never asked for parents to contribute things but I don't see a problem with it. One thing I am going through like crazy is sunscreen. I have used 3 spray bottles-full since the first week of June! And that stuff is pricey! Is it out of line to ask parents to bring in a bottle to use on their kids?

Sorry Mac60 I didn't mean to quote you on this!
mac60 04:54 AM 06-25-2010
No problem. I did have 2 parents bring in sunscreen. I wouldn't hesitate to ask for sunscreen. I too have never asked a parent to bring in anything.....although I have very seriously thought about it. When groceries and everything else went up 2 years ago, I serviously thought about asking parents to bring in 2 or 3 food items each week in leau of a rate increase, because my thinking was the rate increase would just go to groceries anyways.....I never did, and my expenses just keep going up.
DCMom 05:00 AM 06-25-2010
I agree totally with bringing sunscreen, that is really expensive. I ask for $5/child at the beginning of the summer for the 'Sunscreen Fund', then I use that to buy the brand/type that I prefer. That way I only of one or two bottles around instead of ten different ones.
QualiTcare 10:35 AM 06-25-2010
when i worked with school agers we went swimming 3 times a week. i had each parent bring in a bottle of sunscreen and write their kid's name on it.

i don't think that really counts in "asking for stuff" but you can also tell them to put sunscreen on their kids before they bring them and you don't have to deal with it at all.
momma2girls 10:52 AM 06-25-2010
About 3 yrs. ago, I started asking parents to make sure and place sunscreen on children before coming to daycare. It was a pain the butt to place sunscreen on 5-6 children everyday, sometimes two-three times a day. I used to have them bring along their own at the beginning of the summer, and 3 yrs. ago changed it. It has worked great! I once was blamed for their daughter getting a little pink, which I didn't see anything the next day- that is when I decided enough- place your own sunscreen on before coming to daycare- then it is not my problem, if you say they are a little pink, then blame me for it!!! I also have it written on the bottom of my monthly activity calendars, and remind them in newsletters as well. We do not stay outside for long periods of time, unless we are going to the splashpads anyways.
ConcernedMotherof2 11:17 AM 06-25-2010
I love the responses I'm seeing here (and, I'll admit, I'm a bit surprised). The fundraiser idea or doing something for charity seem like better ideas to get the families involved in your daycare for your star rating requirements. Asking for sand? Well, I don't know about your families, but personally, summer is a tough time for me financially. Over half a week's pay goes to daycare already and there are added fees for field trips every week (at least 3 per week), which is great, but after all that, I can scarcely afford to enjoy any of the summer with my own kids on the weekends. So, if I was asked to buy sand for the daycare on top of all of that, I would be pretty peeved. I would do it, I would hand it over with a smile, but I would be grumbling once I got home.

Just a parent's point of view.
gkids09 11:26 AM 06-25-2010
Each year, the parents pay a supply fee. It very honestly doesn't cover much at all, but it does help some. They pay $10 per day they are enrolled, so if they are enrolled 4 days, their supple fee is $40. I don't think it's fair to ask all of them to pay $50 (the full time fee) when a kid that comes 2 days a week doesn't use the supplies like a full-timer. Hope that makes sense.
I hardly ever ask for anything from the parents. However, I have asked them to bring a white t-shirt next week so we can decorate them for the 4th of July. I am supplying everything but the shirt, just because some kids may be allergic to different fabrics (I am) and I don't want to be responsible for that! lol
I also ask for sunscreen at the beginning of the summer, also because of allergies. I only use the sunscreen on the kid who brought it. If parents don't bring it, the kid doesn't get it, and they know that. Same goes for bug spray. I just don't want a kid to have an allergic reaction to something!
As for the sand...depends on your parents. I REALLY like the idea of the Wish List. Half the time, my dcp don't even look at the parent board, but when I put an important note on a clipboard next to their sign in sheet (which happens to be right next to the parent board that they never glance at), they seem to see it. Weird. Anyway, good luck!
misol 11:37 AM 06-25-2010
I totally ask for sunscreen! It's on my list of items that parents are responsible for .

Supplies

Parents are responsible for supplying the following items:

Diapers
Diaper cream
Wipes
Pacifier
Complete change of clothing including socks - Please replace clothing that is sent home dirty so that at least one outfit remains here at all times.
Slippers or non-slip socks
Sunscreen (seasonal item)
Sun hat (seasonal item)
Swimsuit and swim diapers (seasonal item) - We have a sprinkler for summer water play so swimwear should be sent on all summer days over 80 degrees.

Please make sure that all personal items are permanently labeled with your child’s full name.

I think that asking parents for personal supplies is OK but I would rather charge a summer activity fee (or raise rates) than to ask parents for business supplies. However, if you must, I like the idea of a wish list the best.
Liliya 12:18 PM 06-25-2010
[quote=ConcernedMotherof2;34173]I love the responses I'm seeing here (and, I'll admit, I'm a bit surprised). The fundraiser idea or doing something for charity seem like better ideas to get the families involved in your daycare for your star rating requirements. Asking for sand? Well, I don't know about your families, but personally, summer is a tough time for me financially. Over half a week's pay goes to daycare already and there are added fees for field trips every week (at least 3 per week), which is great, but after all that, I can scarcely afford to enjoy any of the summer with my own kids on the weekends. So, if I was asked to buy sand for the daycare on top of all of that, I would be pretty peeved. I would do it, I would hand it over with a smile, but I would be grumbling once I got home.

Just a parent's point of view.[/QUO

I hate fundraisers,just because every time my son brings it from school I feel like I have to get something even if I do not need it.
I think sand is much cheaper than cookie dough or some magazines. Plus your child will play in it and would be proud that his/her mama brought it in.
A bag of sand cost less then $5,as I already said,I never ask parents for anything.I see some providers have a supplies fee,well! I do not.
My fees are:
$25 registration fee(one time fee) no matter how many years they are with me. And weekly fees.
I am sure that all of my parents will be more then happy to get a bag of sand for their child. And none of them would be grumbling at home over $5.
But I am not asking anymore, only because like someone said it is unprofessional.
originalkat 12:26 PM 06-25-2010
That is what I was thinking too...I would much rather buy a $5.00 bag of sand than get a packet for a funraiser sent home. (Speaking as a parent)
Crystal 12:27 PM 06-25-2010
Liliya, it's not unprofessional to ask a parent to participate or donate materials to their child's program. Most parents will happily provide things. I have parents who ask me on a regular basis what they can contribute. I buy TONS of stuff every month for the program....they are all well aware of the expenses involved in maintaining a program that offers ample materials/supplies/toys for their children to use, and want to help out....they realize that it is only $5 for them to buy one bag of sand, and it would cost you $50 to fill it by yourself - which may hinder you from being able to provide their child with the sensory experience of sand play.

If it's a needed item and you cannot fill the whole box on your own, I say ask.....you'll probably be pleasantly surprised with the response from your parents.
originalkat 12:32 PM 06-25-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Liliya, it's not unprofessional to ask a parent to participate or donate materials to their child's program. Most parents will happily provide things. I have parents who ask me on a regular basis what they can contribute. I buy TONS of stuff every month for the program....they are all well aware of the expenses involved in maintaining a program that offers ample materials/supplies/toys for their children to use, and want to help out....they realize that it is only $5 for them to buy one bag of sand, and it would cost you $50 to fill it by yourself - which may hinder you from being able to provide their child with the sensory experience of sand play.

If it's a needed item and you cannot fill the whole box on your own, I say ask.....you'll probably be pleasantly surprised with the response from your parents.
As I said before, I agree with Crystal on this one.
Tags:parent help, sand box, supplies
Reply Up