Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Can Only Afford One, Which One Should I Get?
MommyMuffin 11:37 AM 08-31-2011
Since I can only afford one right now, which do you think I will get the most use out of?

Thanks friends!
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=16943155

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=16943241

PitterPatter 11:42 AM 08-31-2011
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
Since I can only afford one right now, which do you think I will get the most use out of?

Thanks friends!
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=16943155
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=16943241
Out of those 2 I like the 1st. IF you need space for books. Reason being I have 1 like the 2nd and it's a mess with books. I think the kids would be able to sit the books in easier and neater with them facing forward. I have been trying to get the Ikea shelves but no Ikea near me and no online ordering
boysx5 11:45 AM 08-31-2011
I like the 1st one the best as well
MommyMuffin 11:46 AM 08-31-2011
I dont have much furniture for dc toys. Just the bin thing you can get at target. I have lots of books in the bin thing right now. But I thought the shelves would display some toys better so there arent those "little toys thrown all over" kwim!? haha
daycare 11:50 AM 08-31-2011
honestly, If i were to purchase shelves, I would not purchse them from walmart. I find that most items there don't last. They may be in your price range, but the quality is not the best. I know that discount school supply does charge a little more, but their products seem to hold thier value and are made well. Some will even come with a warranty.

Have you seen the rain gutter book shelf? google it. I think that I am going to have some made and hung up here in a few days. They are cheap and they don't seem to create a huge mess. My kids have shoved books back on the shelf and they rip and tear. I have gone through several different book shelves over the years and so far I think the rain gutter is the best idea I have seen that won't destroy the books. I hope they work out for me..

Best of luck to you...
Holladee 12:10 PM 08-31-2011
I like the second. Unless of course you really want the books to be displayed better.

I have two (cheap) white bookcases from Target to store toys. Everything is sorted and organized into see through storage containers so it looks neat and clean. The bookcases are holding up fine and I love that the kids need help to get the lids off the majority of the containers. Much less dumping that way!
Pammie 12:24 PM 08-31-2011
I LOVE the first one - too cute!

But I would probably purchase the second one - I'd be able to stack bins on top of it for some extra storage space - or make a little cushioned seat on top for kids to sit and read.
MarinaVanessa 12:26 PM 08-31-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
honestly, If i were to purchase shelves, I would not purchse them from walmart. I find that most items there don't last.
The nice thing about these is that they are made by Early Childhood Resources. You can also get these from other retailers. I bought a book stand from Amazon by them and it's withheld the years of abuse very well. I like the manufacturer and as long as you keep your DC kids from climbing all over and stomping on them (like a rabid monkey) these should hold up just fine. I also like the bookcase one but that's because I have a lot of books lol. If you need more toy organization I'd go with the other one instead.
daycare 12:32 PM 08-31-2011
lol oh goes to show what I know.... I have never purchased anything from walmart online, only in store and that stuff was all cheap particalboad junk......

On that note, I would go wtih the second one...
tbutler 12:41 PM 08-31-2011
The first one...It has multiple purposes (books, toy, manipulatives, games storeage) and comes with the bins you need.
mismatchedsocks 12:59 PM 08-31-2011
What age groups do you have?
I love the 1st one, and its double sided for more room.
Christian Mother 01:00 PM 08-31-2011
OWwwwww...I like the 1st one. I will have to pick one up too bc all the kids books are in the closet and I will only allow the kids to grab one out of it with me by them bc I don't want fingers pinched. The kids know that that is off limits here but it'd be nice to free some space up in there and store the books in something like picture 1!!
Crazy8 01:16 PM 08-31-2011
if you want space for books I agree the 1st one is the way to go. I used to have books just stacked on a regular book shelf and what a mess they always were - the kids would take them all out but not actually read them. Now that I have a stand up book sling they actually read or look at the books - not just throw them on the floor.
grandmom 01:56 PM 08-31-2011
I'd get the 2nd one. The space is big enough for a kid to get into. I have one shelf that is used just for that. They hate it when they get so big they can't get in it anymore.
TBird 02:22 PM 08-31-2011
First of all...why didn't I know that WalMart even sells early childhood furniture???

Secondly, I like the first one the best.
AnythingsPossible 02:27 PM 08-31-2011
I also did not know that walmart offered that type of furniture.

I like the first one. If I redo my rooms, I will be buying one of those!!
KEG123 05:17 PM 08-31-2011
I like them both!!! Darn I can't choose! I'd probably get #2 because it has a flat side and I'd want to push it up against a wall.
Abigail 09:23 PM 08-31-2011
Thanks for mentioning that Walmart carries the Early Childhood furniture! It should be the same quality as the main manufacturers sites, maybe just a catch like assembly required instead of using freight shipping with the main company to have is already assembled. Really worth it to me!

With your price range, I would go for the book shelf. We have one of those toy display shelves and our 18 months-4 years old ALL climb on it (it's the perfect seat height for adults) and I'm always telling them to get down and I always have to physically go lift a younger child off the top. They're FAST at climbing even when telling them "NO". I think a three-level toy display shelf would be the best way to go and those started a little over $200 at walmart's site.
MommyMuffin 04:58 AM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by lilrugrats:
What age groups do you have?
I love the 1st one, and its double sided for more room.
Ages are 9 weeks to 3.5....7 kids
MommyMuffin 05:05 AM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Thanks for mentioning that Walmart carries the Early Childhood furniture! It should be the same quality as the main manufacturers sites, maybe just a catch like assembly required instead of using freight shipping with the main company to have is already assembled. Really worth it to me!

With your price range, I would go for the book shelf. We have one of those toy display shelves and our 18 months-4 years old ALL climb on it (it's the perfect seat height for adults) and I'm always telling them to get down and I always have to physically go lift a younger child off the top. They're FAST at climbing even when telling them "NO". I think a three-level toy display shelf would be the best way to go and those started a little over $200 at walmart's site.
Awesome advice! Thank you. I always have trouble with those littles climbing on anything. I had to get rid of my kid table and chair because of that.

I will have to check into that three level one you are talking about and save me $$.
SilverSabre25 06:04 AM 09-01-2011
Ooo, i want the first one. It would fit nicely near my reading corner (or at least, I'd MAKE it fit, lol) and have one side for general books and one side for books that relate to our theme of the month, and the bins below...yah, I want this!
Tags:storage, storage - books
Reply Up