Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daily Reports
Mita 12:42 PM 10-13-2011
I'm new to this forum, but have been impressed with some of the great advice and support given here. I have been running my dc for about 18 months, and one of the services I provide is a daily report listing meals eaten, books read and activities done during the day. I even provided all of my families with a take-home folder to place their daily reports and any worksheets that were done during the day. Over time I've noticed that only 1 family still bothers to bring in the take-home folder, while the others have lost theirs after only about 2 weeks. On top of that, I can tell that parents don't read their daily reports as they are always asking me about what their child ate or did on any given day. This makes me wonder whether I should just provide reports for the really little ones, and not bother with the older ones (2 years and above). Because when I do the math, it just seems like a waste of money spent on paper and printer ink, for something that the parents don't really value.
What do you guys think? Have you come across this problem also? How have you dealt with it?
KBCsMommy 12:49 PM 10-13-2011
I have infant reports too...just when they had diaper change, when they napped, when they ate.
And I find that my dcp just look at them and throw them in the diaper bag. I think they are only curious as to if they pooped and what they ate!!!
Only one of my dcm's really cares about the reports because the baby is on breastmilk!
Im thinking I might do away with them, but they also help me with when the kids were changed and had a bottle last!
cheerfuldom 01:01 PM 10-13-2011
I only provide this for infants and only for a month or two. After that, it is a waste of time. You can set up a big white board in your daycare room that lists what the group did for the day. Anyone that really wants those details can see it right there and you don't have to write it out a million times.
2ndFamilyDC 01:01 PM 10-13-2011
I send home daily reports also, provided on MM program. I think the parents glance at them. I used to have take home folders and ran into the same thing as you. They did not bother to bring them back and even when they did the papers were in there from the day before or even further back.
cheerfuldom 01:03 PM 10-13-2011
oh and I stopped doing this because no one ever read these except for one mom that then used them against me when she termed. She found one day months previous where her son was not giving two jars of baby food, only one that day (my assistant's miss). She didn't care about it until she used it was a weapon against me, supposed proof that I was not doing my job. Also as justification for her to leave with no notice and no pay, how convenient. (PS I got my money later after some drama)
Nellie 03:20 PM 10-13-2011
I do a pretty detailed reports for all my children and every one here LOVES them. It includes what was done at circle time, book read, art activity, sensory activity,meals and how they ate, times they took nap, diapering times wet/bm, there moods through out the day, how much time was spent outside and what they did, large motor skill, fine motor skills, song or finger plays, and there is a spot for comments. I use that to sometimes let them know something cute the child did that day, something the child really enjoyed, or any important information that the parent needs to know. That is 1 year olds daily report. I have different ones for infants, 2year olds, and 3 to 4 year olds. I have mostly dad's that pick up and I think that they like it because they can grab the child and leave. Also I have a family were 1 parent works PMS and they love them because they can read about the child's day when they get home(spouse is asleep already) Some things change daily, some weekly, some things are pretty much the same for a few weeks. I have alot of dads that pick up so they One parent did say that I didn't need to bother with them. I am not a large family daycare. The most children I have cared for is 4 plus my own two. It is somewhat time consuming. Even the 10 to 15 minutes filling them out could be used for better things and I understand why others don't use them. I also tell parents that occasionally I don't have time to fill out the whole thing and they understand. It mostly happens when a child leaves early. I know that other facilities post there meal calendars and what they are activities/curriculum/what they are learning on bulletin boards. I don't do that. You could ask the parents if they like them or want you to continue filling them out. Let them know that if they aren't reading them or they could care less that you would rather be spending the time with the little ones. And if they like them and are reading them you would be happy to fill them out for there child(if you want to continue with it).
nannyde 03:41 PM 10-13-2011
No notes home but I'm willing to do a quick checklist for them if they create it and supply it daily.
misspollywog 03:41 PM 10-13-2011
I don't do full reports but I like the idea of doing them and making it optional for parents who would actually appreciate them. Otherwise why bother. I worked at a drop-in center once and they did a daily "owie" form, which I think is a good idea, too. When the child arrives they are assessed for any bumps, bruises, etc. and then if any occur during their stay it is recorded and the parents sign them. It's something else I was thinking of doing.
Pammie 03:42 PM 10-13-2011
I do daily reports for infants up until their first birthday - only longer if there's a medical issue to document.

All of my other families get a "WOW-What A Week" summary on Fridays, that tells them all of the activities that we did throughout that week in 10 different content areas.

I'm contemplating making secure website to put the WOW information on so parents can still get the info, but I'm saving on paper and ink:-)
Mita 04:55 PM 10-13-2011
Thanks you all for your replies and helpful suggestions! Yes, one thing I am definitely going to do is ask each parent whether or not they like/need the daily reports, and if the general consensus is "no", then (as Cheerfuldom suggested), I'll just place the weekly activity info as well as the menu on a bulletin board. Or I might do a weekly newsletter (like Pammie). It just makes better financial sense that way; and saves a lot of time too!
Christian Mother 05:56 PM 10-13-2011
When I interview I let each parent know I do a "Daily Report" per child. All my parents really love that. We normally will go over how they did for the day but it's quick. On my daily there is a ton of inform. on there from what activities they did to which toys they played with each day. What they ate. What time they slept. Potty training to how many diaper changes. I even have a accident sheet on there. Also it tells them what there behavior was like that day and if they didn't have a fantastic day it I tell them why. If a time out was given that day I note it and tell why it was given. I normally always talk the parent that day to inform them that we had problems. I rat them out as "Nan" would say and for the children that understand I have them talk to there parents about why they where in time out so I know and that child remembers why they where in time out. My parents absolutely love it and they do read them bc they comment on the follow day. I make them worth reading to be honest. When my child was in daycare....I really wanted to feel apart of there day. I wanted to know what they did, how they behaved how I can help w/any situation, and what they are learning. That kind of thing. So my parents really appreciate all the feedback. I have to say though if I had 6 of more kids I would not be able to do it in debts the way I have with my kido's. Bc I only have 4 I can really take the time to do them. It wouldn't be able to do it if I had more kids.
sharlan 07:05 PM 10-13-2011
I gave that up years ago. I used to keep a notebook on the counter for each child, listing the day's events. I found that the parents wanted to hear how the day was, not read about it.
Reply Up