Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sick Policy For Fevers
EAP 10:36 AM 12-27-2012
Right now my send home temp is 101 or higher. What works for other providers? I feel like even with a fever of 99 some kids really need to be home. My biggest concern is the other kids getting sick and illness just staying around all season. I want to be flexible and understanding as I can with parents who can't get off work but I can't provide sick child care.Please share your policy and thoughts.
Scout 11:09 AM 12-27-2012
I have 100.5 as the cutuff I think. I had a cold that turned into pneumonia pass through earlier this month. With that they were all here no matter what. They all had the same thing & were acting ok so I didn't mind in that particular instance. If it had been only one dck, I would've sent home or refused care. I go by the way the child is acting more than the fever. HTH
Abigail 11:39 AM 12-27-2012
My policy is 100 degrees of higher unless teething then it's 101 or higher. So it all depends. I also take into consideration how they're acting, but I let parents know right away if someone isn't feeling well so they have a heads up. I also let them know if the fever increases they will have to go home. I don't keep tylenol or anything for kids to use here because it's not my job to give them a reliever when they need to go home either. If it's at the end of the day I use common sense. If it takes a parent half hour to get here and we close in an hour then they just get a call but don't need to leave early. Almost everyone of my kids has been sent home at least once in the last year.
Sprouts 11:51 AM 12-27-2012
What bugs me is when a child is brought in and the parents know they are coming down with something! we could have avoided a cold like that, but instead every child caught it even my 2.5 month old infant and the kid was sent home an hour later, it's hard to avoid sneeze droplets everywhere.....I am just a little bitter ....

I know this is a common topic, but what are other providers sick policy regarding colds and mucous , runny noses for infants , toddlers and the such?
spud912 01:10 PM 12-27-2012
Originally Posted by Sprouts:

I know this is a common topic, but what are other providers sick policy regarding colds and mucous , runny noses for infants , toddlers and the such?
I don't exclude for colds because then everyone would be out frequently. If the nose is excessive enough, I will ask the parents to provide me with a box of tissues. I hate going through a whole box of tissues in a matter of 1-2 days because a child has a nonstop runny nose.

I do agree that colds are a big PITA!! I hate it because 2 random kids always end up with ear infections and either me or my husband will end up with a sinus infection. But............I suck it up...wipe the noses, wash the hands, wipe, wash, wipe, wash, wipe, wash until my hands are raw!
Michael 02:25 PM 12-27-2012
Some more posts on Fever Policy: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...fever+-+policy
daycarediva 04:56 PM 12-27-2012
I have the same policy as the school district, fever of 100.4 or greater, and I have a space included about being able to participate, feeling/acting fine. I have had kids at 100.2 playing happily and some at 99 MISERABLE. It is also at my discretion when to exclude and also at my discretion when to readmit.
MarinaVanessa 08:34 AM 12-28-2012
I do 100 degrees no matter what the reason. If the child:You name it ... if it's accompanied with a fever the child stays home.
Tags:fever - policy, sick policy
Reply Up