Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>This Is The New Sign At My Doctors Office
nannyde 11:35 AM 08-17-2013
We often ask... is it really getting worse or are we just less tolerant?

I took DS to the Mercy Clinic in Pleasant Hill this morning and this is the sign on the wall right by the receptionist desk.

I admit, it really surprised me but I can imagine that their customers don't take “no" any better than the customers in our business.
Attached: 20130817_090248.jpg (51.5 KB) 
Cradle2crayons 11:37 AM 08-17-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:

I took DS to the Mercy Clinic in Pleasant Hill this morning and this is the sign on the wall right by the receptionist desk.

I admit, it really surprised me but I can imagine that their customers don't take “no" any better than the customers in our business.
Oh wow. Kind of like the sign on coffee "this liquid is hot and may burn you"

Here's your sign.....
nannyde 12:24 PM 08-17-2013
Mercy is a BIG business here. I imagine this sign came from the top down. I can't imagine a clinic putting up a sign like that without the ok from above.

They have had to hosted ADULTS who behave badly in public. The reason HAS to be that they are not taking the NO. I asked the nurse if the sign was because of people being upset for having to wait. She said “no". I asked if it was because of money or patients not wanting to turn off their cell phones. (Those are the two signs they have up in addition to the behavior sign). She said “no".
preschoolteacher 02:03 PM 08-17-2013
People can be so rude. So mean! I used to answer phones for a company that sold products online, and customers would occasionally treat us so badly it always shocked me. Either it was being talked down to like we were unintelligent, or they'd scream and lose their tempers--never anything we personally did wrong!

Luckily my manager was the owner of the company and was known to take the phone from an employee if the customer was so horrible and say something like:"I will not allow any of my employees to be treated this way. We are no longer interested in your business." (!)
nannyde 02:26 PM 08-17-2013
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
People can be so rude. So mean! I used to answer phones for a company that sold products online, and customers would occasionally treat us so badly it always shocked me. Either it was being talked down to like we were unintelligent, or they'd scream and lose their tempers--never anything we personally did wrong!

Luckily my manager was the owner of the company and was known to take the phone from an employee if the customer was so horrible and say something like:"I will not allow any of my employees to be treated this way. We are no longer interested in your business." (!)
I can't get it off my mind! It's so far from “ no shoes...no shirts... no service".
Kabob 03:15 PM 08-17-2013
In my experience, people have taken "the customer is always right" idea too far and use it as an excuse to vent their rage at the world on some hapless employees. Even if an employee made a mistake, threatening their life is not ok. As a manager of a restaurant, I often turned away rude and aggressive customers which improved employee morale and encouraged other customers to come back. It scares other customers to see another customer become aggressive. I once had a customer call the cops on me after I politely told her to leave after she threatened to attack an employee. The cops kicked her out and told me they were sorry for me...apparently they have had to kick her out of other places for similar childish behavior. I quit my job due to my boss telling me I wasn't allowed to tell customers to leave for aggressive behavior nor was I allowed to call the cops. It was a very hostile work environment and every day I felt I was putting my life on the line just to serve food to violent customers while the good ones were too scared to come back.

Kudos to the doctor's office for standing up for their employees.
Sugar Magnolia 06:55 AM 08-18-2013
Originally Posted by Kabob:
In my experience, people have taken "the customer is always right" idea too far and use it as an excuse to vent their rage at the world on some hapless employees. Even if an employee made a mistake, threatening their life is not ok. As a manager of a restaurant, I often turned away rude and aggressive customers which improved employee morale and encouraged other customers to come back. It scares other customers to see another customer become aggressive. I once had a customer call the cops on me after I politely told her to leave after she threatened to attack an employee. The cops kicked her out and told me they were sorry for me...apparently they have had to kick her out of other places for similar childish behavior. I quit my job due to my boss telling me I wasn't allowed to tell customers to leave for aggressive behavior nor was I allowed to call the cops. It was a very hostile work environment and every day I felt I was putting my life on the line just to serve food to violent customers while the good ones were too scared to come back.

Kudos to the doctor's office for standing up for their employees.
Omg, did you work for Pizza Hut too?!?
I was told I couldn't even HANG UP on people who were nasty and threatening on the phone!
I was also told we couldn't refuse to deliver to a man who frequently ordered drunk and was abusive to the drivers.
Former Teacher 09:12 AM 08-18-2013

It's just sad in this day and age that there should even be a sign for this.

My sister USE to work for a dentist office. You would not believe the adults who were rude, ignorant, and just down right awful. Once in a while if the dentist heard a patient he would come up front and calm the patient down but it wasn't often. Like the OP my sister couldn't do a darn thing other than to sit there and take it.

OT: our local Wal-Mart pharmacy had a sign that if you were talking on your cell phone you will not get served. I don't remember the exact wording. Well apparently either people complained or it just got out of hand because the sign is no longer there.

Whatever happened to common sense?
Laurel 05:08 PM 08-18-2013

Whoa, that is pretty bad when you have to have a sign....

Laurel
Unregistered 05:11 PM 08-18-2013
I am fortunate to work for a company now where if someone acts like a fool, I can basically stop doing my job, give them 1 warning and if they continue, I can refuse service to them. No questions asked by the boss. I have had this happen once, and the guy was being a real jerk, and I just ended our conversation and no problem. I won't take crap from anyone.
e.j. 07:18 PM 08-18-2013
Unfortunately, I think it's a sign of the times. (No pun intended.)

There's a local hospital here that has had its share of assaults on nurses in the ER and it's not like we're in the heart of a big city or in a rough area where you might expect it to happen. Manners, common sense and respectful, proper behavior seem to be becoming more and more rare these days.
Unregistered 04:27 PM 08-19-2013
Are you in Iowa???
coolconfidentme 06:14 PM 08-19-2013
I think we teach people how to treat us.
nannyde 06:30 PM 08-19-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Are you in Iowa???
Yes Des Moines
Michael 06:31 PM 08-19-2013
This country is becoming a land of followers. We are told it takes courage to save money and raise a family. What happened to responsibility?
littlemissmuffet 07:23 PM 08-19-2013
Interesting this is a "new thing" to you. All of our medical clinics, doctor/dental offices and hospitals have signs like this and have for as long as I can remember...
I'm in a medium-size city in Canada.
Unregistered 07:30 PM 08-19-2013
Can someone tell me what the sign says? ??
Michael 09:25 PM 08-19-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Can someone tell me what the sign says? ??
Click on the image and it will become larger.
Michael 09:26 PM 08-19-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
Interesting this is a "new thing" to you. All of our medical clinics, doctor/dental offices and hospitals have signs like this and have for as long as I can remember...
I guess we might as well ask Canada what to expect in the future since we are moving toward socialized medicine.
Familycare71 05:46 AM 08-20-2013
Originally Posted by Michael:
I guess we might as well ask Canada what to expect in the future since we are moving toward socialized medicine.

littlemissmuffet 08:00 AM 08-20-2013
Originally Posted by Michael:

Honestly, I have spent way more time in hospitals and clinics than anyone my age should - and it's really quite rare that I have seen someone turn abusive. There are sometimes very long waits to see a doctor - which can be extremely frustrating when someone is in severe pain or discomfort, so I think that most medical professionals are aware there will be SOME level of attitude at times - but like I said, it's pretty a rare a person will flip on medical staff (and even then, it's more indicitive of the person - not so much our healthcare system).

I think the signs are in place more as a preemtive, as opposed to an afterthought.
MamaBearCanada 08:17 AM 08-20-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
Ditto. I am in a smaller city in Canada and we've had signs like this for years but I never hear of attacks on staff. I can tell you this much tough, the receptionist at our doctor's office is wonderful and if anyone started giving her a hard time I'd be right there sticking up for her and so would our doctor. So thankful for the two of them!
Crystal 10:32 AM 08-20-2013
Maybe the reason ya'll never hear of such attacks is because the signs have been posted for years!

In the U.S. I have never seen a sign like that, but I have seen people get belligerent and out of control when they have to wait to long, do not like a response they get from the receptionist (like a walk in cannot be seen today but can come back tomorrow type situation), or they think their bill is unfair. It DOES happen, which is why the signs are starting to pop up.
littlemissmuffet 12:05 PM 08-20-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Maybe the reason ya'll never hear of such attacks is because the signs have been posted for years!

In the U.S. I have never seen a sign like that, but I have seen people get belligerent and out of control when they have to wait to long, do not like a response they get from the receptionist (like a walk in cannot be seen today but can come back tomorrow type situation), or they think their bill is unfair. It DOES happen, which is why the signs are starting to pop up.
That's just it - preventative measures But I also think that because our healthcare is essentially "free", there are no invoices to argue over either (which I can imagine happens frequently in the US).
Tags:canada, sign of the times, signs
Reply Up