Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Deposits
jenny31052 08:17 AM 05-03-2012
What would you to if a family came yesterday, liked The place but didnt leave a deposit and told you that they will let you know in a few days, and then one family comes today and gives you a deposit to hold the spot?

For me not deposit will not hold a spot, but should I feel morally correct in waiting for this other family to decide in a few days?

I'm pretty confident that the ones that are coming today will put down a deposit. They came a while ago, but then their situation changed and they didn't need care anymore.
Reply
DaisyMamma 08:37 AM 05-03-2012
Money talks. The family waiting to decide either didn't like it, but didn't want to tell you, or they are looking at other places.
You can't hold off or you might lose out on both families.
If you feel bad then call the first family and let them know you have other interviews and you don't hold spaces without a deposit. But you shouldn't feel bad. Take the definite one.
Reply
EntropyControlSpecialist 08:47 AM 05-03-2012
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
Money talks. The family waiting to decide either didn't like it, but didn't want to tell you, or they are looking at other places.
You can't hold off or you might lose out on both families.
If you feel bad then call the first family and let them know you have other interviews and you don't hold spaces without a deposit. But you shouldn't feel bad. Take the definite one.
I agree.
Reply
lilcupcakes09 08:52 AM 05-03-2012
Yup take the one that seems serious and is willing to leave you a deposit. Waiting around for someone who might want the spot might leave you with nothing! And in my opinion, I would see if the other family calls back before telling them the spot has already been filled since your meeting.
Reply
Blackcat31 08:52 AM 05-03-2012
Originally Posted by jenny31052:
What would you to if a family came yesterday, liked The place but didnt leave a deposit and told you that they will let you know in a few days, and then one family comes today and gives you a deposit to hold the spot?

For me not deposit will not hold a spot, but should I feel morally correct in waiting for this other family to decide in a few days?

I'm pretty confident that the ones that are coming today will put down a deposit. They came a while ago, but then their situation changed and they didn't need care anymore.
If the first family really liked your place that much, they would have either paid a deposit to secure the space or asked you if you are conducting other interviews and inquired about whether they have time to think it over or not....since they didn't, then I would take the second family.

When/if the first family calls back, they will learn a tough lesson...secure your space or it isn't yours.

Of course, this would apply if you didn;t have strong feelings for one family over the other. If they both seemed like a good fit then whoever pays the money owns the spot.
Reply
MarinaVanessa 08:57 AM 05-03-2012
usually what I do is schedule interview throughout the same time period and let my families know that I have other interviews scheduled. I tell them this when they book the interview. When they come I remind them again that I have other interviews and let them know that once I am done with all of the interviews then I will make my decision. Letting them know in advance takes all of the guilt out of it because you've already made them aware.

most parent's just aren't even aware that the possibility of you as a child care provider are also interviewing them and that you have a choice as to who you take. It's sort of a shock factor to some KWIM?

Since you've already held your interviews it really comes down to who you like better. I wouldn't base the decision primarily on who's going to leave a deposit first, you should really be picking the family that fits in better with your group. If you do however like the family that is coming today and they do sign the contract and leave a deposit then just call the other family and say "Hi, I wanted to tell you that I really enjoyed my interview with you and wanted to thank you. The opening has however been filled." and then ask them (if you really liked them) if they'd like to be put on a waitinglist.

Don't feel bad because they may not get the spot ... they can't expect you to hold the opening for them without a deposit when your priority is to fill it KWIM?
Reply
3girls 09:41 AM 05-03-2012
I've started telling my interviews, I will hold the spot for two weeks so you can think about it/check out other providers. After that you are certainly welcome to call and see if I still have an opening but I may not. Since I started saying that I seem to get a call the very next day saying they want in so I'm gonna stick with it You could modify it to a shorter time period.
Reply
saved4always 10:13 AM 05-03-2012
I would give the spot to whoever shows they are serious about it by giving a deposit. I have had parents interview with me, seem to like me, and tell me they will let me know in a couple days and then I never hear from them again. To me, "letting me know in a few days" really means "we are looking at other places/providers and you will hear from us in a few days IF you are the provider we pick".

So, unless there is good reason you would not want to take the child whose parents may bring the deposit today, I would take whoever commits first with thier checkbook.
Reply
renodeb 11:12 AM 05-03-2012
Daisy is right, money talks. If that other family puts a deposit right away then that answers that. I have had that happen. Can you call the first family and tell them someone else is looking to take that spot? they might run right over with the $$$! Tough situation! Its not a spot unitl money changes hand!
When a family comes to an interview, I always make it clear that the spot is subject to being filled before they get back to you, that way theres no suprises.
Deb
Reply
Tags:deposits, holding spot, holding spot - fee
Reply Up