Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Some Random Questions...
Pandaluver21 02:51 PM 04-13-2017
I thought about making a post for each, but figured this would be easier for everyone! Just some things I've been wondering and thought I would ask you lovely people!

1) How do you do a deposit/last two weeks payment

2) Do you/would you consider a dress code?

3) Do you offer overnight/out of hour care, what do you charge if yes?


1- In the last 9 years of doing this job, I have never required one. But I'm starting to think I need to and am not sure how to go about it. Do I ask for it all up front, or over the first month? Do I ask for 1 week or 2? Is it refundable?

2- We run a Christian preschool/kindergarten program. I am not saying I want to do uniforms or anything, but I am so tired of little girls with super short skirt and/or skirts with no shorts under them. Or kids with pants/shorts that don't fit properly and constantly show the "plumbers crack" lol Even the little ones that wear shirts that are super short. I don't want to be nitpicky, but I was thinking of adding something to my handbook about needing to wear shorts under skirts/dresses and that skirts/dresses/shorts need to be to the knees. Does it seem reasonable, and do any of you ask this?

3- Many of my daycare families become part of my family, and I usually don't mind taking kids for an evening or overnight. Parents know that if kids are here past regular hours they become "one of us" and go with us on errands, to church, etc. What usually comes up is how much? Do you charge by the hour if its out of regular care? What about when they are sleeping?
Reply
AmyKidsCo 03:22 PM 04-13-2017
1) How do you do a deposit/last two weeks payment.
I set up a separate invoice for the enrollment fee and last two weeks payment. It's dated for the day of enrollment.

2) Do you/would you consider a dress code?
No. All of my children have extra clothes here so I change them as needed. (Pants that don't stay up, are too hard to change, etc) Usually I put the original clothes back on before pick-up.

3) Do you offer overnight/out of hour care, what do you charge if yes?
No way! I work enough as it is, I'm not adding extra hours. IF I ever did it would be at a premium rate - maybe 150% of my regular fee.
Reply
Ariana 04:03 PM 04-13-2017
1). I tell them upfront that when they sign the contract a deposit equivalent to 2 weeks payment is due right away. This deposit is applied to the last two weeks of care when the contract is terminated. The only time I will refund it is if it is the first 6 weeks of my trial period and I decide to terminate care immediately. Otherwise it is not refundable and they choose to use the two weeks of care or not.

2). I have never considered a dress code and I am not sure what the benefit would be. I require the kids to come in "play clothes" and warn the parents that clothes can get ruined but ultimately its up to them what the kids wear. I also have requirements for clothes for outdoor play. We get 4 seasons here so kids need to dress accordingly.

3) No I do not offer this service.

Hope that helps
Reply
Jupadia 04:29 PM 04-13-2017
1. I charge last week deposit. It is pit towards the last week of care only if I'm given proper notice. (2 weeks if 1 child is in care or 1 month if 2 kids are in care). If no notice is given or parent backs out of contract the money is not refunded.

2. No. But I have asked parents to bring certain items such as rain pants. Or asked them not to bring lace up shoes unless child can do own laces. There have been times as well if say a kids pair of pants are allways falling that I'll ask them not to have DK kid wear them again.

3. I will do occasional oUT of hours care and charge a rate of 10 per hour.
Reply
Leigh 04:33 PM 04-13-2017
Originally Posted by Pandaluver21:
I thought about making a post for each, but figured this would be easier for everyone! Just some things I've been wondering and thought I would ask you lovely people!

1) How do you do a deposit/last two weeks payment

I don't do a deposit. I collect the first week on the first day of care, and each Friday for the following week. I also collect the last 2 weeks' payment and do NOT call it a deposit and give parents the option of paying upfront or paying over 8 weeks. I give parents a form to fill out with how they intend to pay it (there is a line for each week) and hold them to that. This way, they don't have to provide all 3 weeks' at once. I don't call it a deposit because it is NOT refundable. It is to be applied to the last 2 weeks of care or in lieu of 2 week notice.

2) Do you/would you consider a dress code? I kind of have one. I require seasonally appropriate clothing that fits properly and shoes that velcro closed for all kids who can't tie their own shoes (I started this after having a 16 month old show up with laced shoes and having a kid who intentionally untied them and told me that I HAD to tie them again repeatedly).

3) Do you offer overnight/out of hour care, what do you charge if yes? Occasionally. Overnights are 4 times my full day daily rate per 12 hour block and I bill ONLY in 12 hour blocks (if a child is here for 12 hours and one minute, they would pay for 2 segments of care instead of one). After hours care is billed at 3 times what my hourly rate would be if I billed hourly (my weekly rate divided by 40 hours and then multiplied by 3).




1- In the last 9 years of doing this job, I have never required one. But I'm starting to think I need to and am not sure how to go about it. Do I ask for it all up front, or over the first month? Do I ask for 1 week or 2? Is it refundable?

2- We run a Christian preschool/kindergarten program. I am not saying I want to do uniforms or anything, but I am so tired of little girls with super short skirt and/or skirts with no shorts under them. Or kids with pants/shorts that don't fit properly and constantly show the "plumbers crack" lol Even the little ones that wear shirts that are super short. I don't want to be nitpicky, but I was thinking of adding something to my handbook about needing to wear shorts under skirts/dresses and that skirts/dresses/shorts need to be to the knees. Does it seem reasonable, and do any of you ask this?

3- Many of my daycare families become part of my family, and I usually don't mind taking kids for an evening or overnight. Parents know that if kids are here past regular hours they become "one of us" and go with us on errands, to church, etc. What usually comes up is how much? Do you charge by the hour if its out of regular care? What about when they are sleeping?
I replied in red above.
Reply
Mike 04:42 PM 04-13-2017
Not going yet, but have everything planned and ready, so here are my answers:

1) Last 2 weeks deposit before spot is reserved. 1 month trial period where they get it back if they cancel, otherwise, they give 2 weeks notice and the deposit covers that. No 2 weeks notice and they lose the deposit. If I cancel without 2 weeks notice, I will give it back.

2) I'm a Christian and thinking about doing Christian daycare as well, but either way, my only dress code will be to be dressed modestly, remembering that kids do play, dressed in clothes they are allowed to be kids in, but I will have extras and various protection for the real messy play, and dressed for the season, especially considering that outside play will be done every day, unless the weather is real bad.

3) I'm actually thinking about that, especially now. It will be a slow start for me, so I may just do renovations, woodworking, or something else during the day, and offer before/after school care, or evening or night care.

My rates:
before or after school - $16/day or $60/week (3 hrs max per day)
before and after school - $25/day or $95/week (5 hrs max total per day)
After 6pm will be about $6/hr for day time hours and $25 to $40 overnight.
Reply
Laurie 04:44 PM 04-13-2017
1) How do you do a deposit/last two weeks payment.
payment is paid the day the contract is signed. I have them pay first week of care and a two weeks non refundable payment. This is written out in my contract.

2) Do you/would you consider a dress code?
Nope! I've never had a dress code. My contract states all children should wear comfortable play clothes. If a child wears something I feel they shouldn't, then I let them know the clothes aren't suitable for play and not to dress them in it again.

3) Do you offer overnight/out of hour care, what do you charge if yes?
No! I enjoy family time after work and wouldn't consider doing overnight or more than an hour after closing. I rarely have anyone after hours.[/quote]
Reply
ColorfulSunburst 05:04 PM 04-13-2017
2. I hate to see short under girl's dress. It looks so ugly. I just teach girls how to seat and pick up toys without showing underpants.
Take a look at modern teen-girls and young women ... how they sit, how they walk, how they move, what they wear

Dresses do not need any shorts under it. Even more: 2-3-4 year old kids do not care and do not give any negative attention to underwear of other kids.
Reply
Mike 05:11 PM 04-13-2017
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
2. I hate to see short under girl's dress. It looks so ugly. I just teach girls how to seat and pick up toys without showing underpants.
Take a look at modern teen-girls and young women ... how they sit, how they walk, how they move, what they wear

Dresses do not need any shorts under it. Even more: 2-3-4 year old kids do not care and do not give any negative attention to underwear of other kids.

I agree

What isn't correct though is if a girl wears a short dress with no underwear.
Reply
Leigh 07:18 PM 04-13-2017
Originally Posted by Mike:
Not going yet, but have everything planned and ready, so here are my answers:

1) Last 2 weeks deposit before spot is reserved. 1 month trial period where they get it back if they cancel, otherwise, they give 2 weeks notice and the deposit covers that. No 2 weeks notice and they lose the deposit. If I cancel without 2 weeks notice, I will give it back.

2) I'm a Christian and thinking about doing Christian daycare as well, but either way, my only dress code will be to be dressed modestly, remembering that kids do play, dressed in clothes they are allowed to be kids in, but I will have extras and various protection for the real messy play, and dressed for the season, especially considering that outside play will be done every day, unless the weather is real bad.

3) I'm actually thinking about that, especially now. It will be a slow start for me, so I may just do renovations, woodworking, or something else during the day, and offer before/after school care, or evening or night care.

My rates:
before or after school - $16/day or $60/week (3 hrs max per day)
before and after school - $25/day or $95/week (5 hrs max total per day)
After 6pm will be about $6/hr for day time hours and $25 to $40 overnight.
$6 an hour? That's half what a teenager gets! I would charge at least what the going rate that a 16 year old would charge. Make it worth your time!
Reply
Mike 07:56 PM 04-13-2017
Originally Posted by Leigh:
$6 an hour? That's half what a teenager gets! I would charge at least what the going rate that a 16 year old would charge. Make it worth your time!
That would be a teen going to their house. I might charge higher though. That part I'm still thinking about. What I'm thinking is, if I offer only off hour care while doing other work during the day, I could watch 3 or 4 kids in the evening, and it would be the same as doing day care, but evenings instead. Slightly higher rate because of the time, but parents still get "daycare rates" rather than "private babysitter" rates.

I'm keeping an eye on this thread to see what others say about evening rates. Obviously, those who do daytime, would charge much higher for a parent wanting evenings, but I am curious what evening only providers charge. Might not be a high demand because as mentioned in another thread, parents tend to have family or friends who will watch kids then, but if I do other daytime work, the evening care will be for extra money and build a reputation, preferably good of course.
Reply
CityGarden 12:51 PM 04-14-2017
1) How do you do a deposit/last two weeks payment.
Per my contract I require first month, last month and a registration fee to secure their child's spot - this is due with the signed contract.

I realize this is a large chunk of money so if asked I will hold the spot with the registration and last months tuition and the parent can pay the first months tuition prior to the child's first day - this is okay with me because many children are enrolling now for June or September spots. (This option is not in my contract - it is me being gracious.)

I suggest your deposit should be equal to the notice period you require. I charge monthly and require one month notice, many providers charge every two weeks and require two weeks notice so they require a two week deposit. Things can get awkward when people give notice or are leaving your program so it best to ensure your money is not impacted by the departure.

2) Do you/would you consider a dress code?
In my handbook I have clothing suggestions:

CLOTHING SUGGESTIONS
In an active play-based preschool program, learning can be messy. Because your child’s clothes can get dirty, please dress your child in comfortable, casual clothes. Help your child toward independence by selecting clothing that is MANAGEABLE - for instance, elastic-waist trousers. Buttons, snaps, zippers or buckles may pose a problem. For your child's safety, please, no open toe shoes, crocs, or slip on shoes. For playground safety, tennis shoes are best.


I recently sent a note home that onies are not allowed as they are not MANAGEABLE for the children and are counter to building independence.

3) Do you offer overnight/out of hour care, what do you charge if yes?
No, and I never would! I have my own family and it is important to have boundaries.

I am making an exception for my first enrolled family 2 days of Spring Break during my normal business hours.... at $20 per hour. It is so expensive for an extra work day at $20 per hour they will never ask again, LOL! But I will never do it again I was just a sucker to get that first family enrolled I made some accommodations I will not do again.
Reply
Mom2Two 01:26 PM 04-14-2017
1) How do you do a deposit/last two weeks payment.
Tell parents about it during the interview, then if they decide to enrol, tell them the exact amount, which is due with all enrolment forms BEFORE the first day of care.

2) Do you/would you consider a dress code?
Clothing needs to be basically decent and clean, suitable/comfortable/safe for play, and I require shorts or leggings under skirts and I require covers for diapers. Elastic waists for self-sufficiency for potty training/trained children.

3) Do you offer overnight/out of hour care, what do you charge if yes?
I don't offer it, but my contract covers the possibility of children being left for outside hours, just in case, and I give a rate of about $20 per hour or any part of an hour after my usual closing hours. I've only had to charge it a couple of times.
Reply
Mom2Two 01:29 PM 04-14-2017
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
2. I hate to see short under girl's dress. It looks so ugly. I just teach girls how to seat and pick up toys without showing underpants.
Take a look at modern teen-girls and young women ... how they sit, how they walk, how they move, what they wear

Dresses do not need any shorts under it. Even more: 2-3-4 year old kids do not care and do not give any negative attention to underwear of other kids.
I disagree...interferes with normal play. I feel that this subtley discourages active, healthy play. Girls can be dressed feminine (if desired) and still covered appropriately and conveniently for active play.

I remember reading that in the original Star Trek, the female actors had to learn how to fall and still have their mini skirts not ride up. Ridiculous.
Reply
ColorfulSunburst 04:08 PM 04-14-2017
I make a search in the Internet by using Russian words "girls in daycare". Take a look how girls look. https://www.google.com/search?q=%D0%...w=1280&bih=670
Reply
hwichlaz 04:53 PM 04-14-2017
I don't currently have a dress code other than "safe for playing on playground" but when I had a sand box I required leggings or bike short under dresses once potty trained. No one wants sand in their undies.
Reply
Leigh 06:09 PM 04-14-2017
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
I make a search in the Internet by using Russian words "girls in daycare". Take a look how girls look. https://www.google.com/search?q=%D0%...w=1280&bih=670
Seeing that video with the girls in the polka dot dresses makes me want to start a dress code! So cute!
Reply
Mad_Pistachio 08:18 AM 04-15-2017
Yeah, there is a reason my daughter always wears pants to daycare (one exception is Halloween and her beloved Elsa dress... which is accompanied by tights cause it's cold).
No undies flashing.
Ever.
Reply
EntropyControlSpecialist 12:55 PM 04-18-2017
1) How do you do a deposit/last two weeks payment-
I word it as an Enrollment Fee. I do not use the word deposit so that I will not have to battle if we go to court over it being nonrefundable should the need arise. I have run into some horribly behaved adults and this just covers my rear.
I take it and will hold the spot for up to 2 weeks (once the spot is open). If they don't begin within that 2 weeks, then they do not get their enrollment fee back. If they do begin, then it is applied to their final 2 weeks at preschool should a WRITTEN two week notice be provided.

2) Do you/would you consider a dress code?
No. The only requirements I have are shorts under dresses/skirts and easy off/on shoes (NO laces) with socks. Socks to prevent the ants from biting in our parks.

3) Do you offer overnight/out of hour care, what do you charge if yes?
No to overnight.
I used to offer Extended Care and it was for 30-60 minutes. I charged $5 for the hour or $2.50 for the 30 minutes (recently, I didnt offer 1 hour ... now I don't at all). If I did it again, I'd charge $4 for a half hour.
Reply
Pandaluver21 01:37 PM 04-18-2017
Originally Posted by EntropyControlSpecialist:
1) How do you do a deposit/last two weeks payment-
I word it as an Enrollment Fee. I do not use the word deposit so that I will not have to battle if we go to court over it being nonrefundable should the need arise. I have run into some horribly behaved adults and this just covers my rear.
I plan on doing it (and will call it an enrollment fee, I like that better than deposit)

The biggest question is HOW they pay it. Do most people require the two weeks up front when they start? I just don't see a lot of people being able to pay for 3 weeks right away.

I have debated breaking it up over 30 days or something?
Reply
EntropyControlSpecialist 01:46 PM 04-18-2017
Originally Posted by Pandaluver21:
I plan on doing it (and will call it an enrollment fee, I like that better than deposit)

The biggest question is HOW they pay it. Do most people require the two weeks up front when they start? I just don't see a lot of people being able to pay for 3 weeks right away.

I have debated breaking it up over 30 days or something?
The spot is not secured until they hand me a check for the enrollment fee. They can wait if they like, but I continue interviewing and the first family that I feel is a good fit AND that provides me with the enrollment fee gets the upcoming spot.

They must also pay the first two week's tuition payment prior to beginning.

I don't live in an affluent area, but people have always made it work.
Reply
Hunni Bee 07:15 AM 04-19-2017
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
2. I hate to see short under girl's dress. It looks so ugly. I just teach girls how to seat and pick up toys without showing underpants.
Take a look at modern teen-girls and young women ... how they sit, how they walk, how they move, what they wear

Dresses do not need any shorts under it. Even more: 2-3-4 year old kids do not care and do not give any negative attention to underwear of other kids.
I don't understand that. How is it ugly? The only time you would even see the shorts is if the dress comes up, and then they're doing their job. I feel like little girls should be able to play without having their underwear revealed to the world (world = other people). We make sure boys pants fit to their waists to keep their underwear private, I don't know why we wouldn't afford the same privacy to girls.
Reply
Blackcat31 07:17 AM 04-19-2017
1) How do you do a deposit/last two weeks payment

ALL fees (2 weeks deposit PER child) and first 2 weeks payment is due NO LATER than first day of care.

2) Do you/would you consider a dress code?

I don't care how a child is dressed provided the clothing they have on is not a danger to them in any way and/or is appropriate for their age. The ONLY requirement I have is well fitting athletic shoes that tie. No Vel-cro, No Crocs, No open toes, No flip flops, No slip on shoes.


3) Do you offer overnight/out of hour care, what do you charge if yes?

NOPE. Service hours are weekdays from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. and according to each family's individual contract.
Reply
Max 07:43 AM 04-19-2017
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
I disagree...interferes with normal play. I feel that this subtley discourages active, healthy play. Girls can be dressed feminine (if desired) and still covered appropriately and conveniently for active play.

I remember reading that in the original Star Trek, the female actors had to learn how to fall and still have their mini skirts not ride up. Ridiculous.
I agree with this ^

As an adult, I wear capri leggings or spandex under all my sun dresses, even if they aren't that short. I may not be a daycare kid, but taking care of my kids requires me to run around like one Even without chasing after a kid, I like not having to worry about sitting or bending down properly. Or a gust of wind coming along
Reply
Leigh 07:59 AM 04-19-2017
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
I don't understand that. How is it ugly? The only time you would even see the shorts is if the dress comes up, and then they're doing their job. I feel like little girls should be able to play without having their underwear revealed to the world (world = other people). We make sure boys pants fit to their waists to keep their underwear private, I don't know why we wouldn't afford the same privacy to girls.
When I was a kid (I'm 44 now), my mom made a lot of my clothes. My play skirts all had shorts sewn in, and I remember loving that as a kid. I wonder why clothing companies don't do that so often anymore-I know it used to be common.
Reply
Pandaluver21 08:38 AM 04-19-2017
Originally Posted by Leigh:
When I was a kid (I'm 44 now), my mom made a lot of my clothes. My play skirts all had shorts sewn in, and I remember loving that as a kid. I wonder why clothing companies don't do that so often anymore-I know it used to be common.
Skorts!
Reply
Mike 10:54 AM 04-19-2017
I got some skorts for a cousin who loved wearing dresses, and also loved doing cartwheels. That was years ago. Not sure if stores still have them, but I don't see why not.
Reply
Kajada 11:03 AM 04-19-2017
Originally Posted by Mike:
I got some skorts for a cousin who loved wearing dresses, and also loved doing cartwheels. That was years ago. Not sure if stores still have them, but I don't see why not.
My daughter is 5, and most of her skirts are technically skorts. All store bought. I prefer them to shorts or leggings under a skirt because they're cooler (as in, she doesn't get too warm while playing in them). I personally wish we didn't have to be so...cautious with younger children and their clothing, but that's the world today.
Reply
Mad_Pistachio 02:20 PM 04-19-2017
Originally Posted by Pandaluver21:
Skorts!
oh, I love those. why don't they make them in my size... I'd dare to wear a shorter skirt (all mine are floor-length).
and onesies.
and sleep'n'plays.
dammit, all good stuff is made in baby size.
Reply
Blackcat31 03:25 PM 04-19-2017
Originally Posted by Mad_Pistachio:
oh, I love those. why don't they make them in my size... I'd dare to wear a shorter skirt (all mine are floor-length).
and onesies.
and sleep'n'plays.
dammit, all good stuff is made in baby size.
They do sell them in adult sizes! I own a couple!

Kohl's has a great selection! They are usually marketed under "golf skorts" but if you Google "skorts" you will find many options!

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-19...recs-pdp-gtab1
Reply
Blackcat31 03:31 PM 04-19-2017
Originally Posted by Mad_Pistachio:
oh, I love those. why don't they make them in my size... I'd dare to wear a shorter skirt (all mine are floor-length).
and onesies.
and sleep'n'plays.
dammit, all good stuff is made in baby size.
They sell ALL of that ^^^ in adult sizes.....




Reply
Mad_Pistachio 05:30 PM 04-19-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
They do sell them in adult sizes! I own a couple!

Kohl's has a great selection! They are usually marketed under "golf skorts" but if you Google "skorts" you will find many options!

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-19...recs-pdp-gtab1
I guess I'm going to Kohl's to at least try some on, then...
I have a few long-sleeved onesies from Amazon. they are okay, but a little thin. work well with leggings and a short-sleeved or sleeveless sweater dress. I can deal with those, but still searching for a better option. Ann Taylor used to make those, but not anymore...
Reply
Pandaluver21 10:19 AM 05-05-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
They sell ALL of that ^^^ in adult sizes.....



I've seen some interesting footsie pj's at walmart!!


Thanks for everyone's help. I had a little girl come yesterday in a dress with TINY shorts under (which still showed her unders) but it was a "fancy" dress, so I changed her for outside play. She just seemed so uncomfortable trying to keep it nice! I will definitely be adding "dress in play clothes" to my handbook!
Reply
Baby Beluga 10:50 AM 05-05-2017
Originally Posted by Pandaluver21:
I thought about making a post for each, but figured this would be easier for everyone! Just some things I've been wondering and thought I would ask you lovely people!

1) How do you do a deposit/last two weeks payment
I don't do a two week deposit. I would LOVE to. But it is unheard of in my area. Even with centers.

2) Do you/would you consider a dress code?
I sort of have a dress code, I call them guidelines in my HB. It is worded as follows:

•Children are expected to arrive dressed in weather appropriate play clothes.

•Children must wear socks and sturdy walking or running closed toe shoes. No flip flops, crocks or open toe shoes are allowed.

•Shoes must be easy for your child to put on and take off independently. Shoes with laces are not permitted.

•Shorts or pants must be worn under skirts and dresses.

•Tights, belts, suspenders, overalls, jewelry and any other clothing options deemed unsafe or restrictive are not permitted to be worn while in care.



3) Do you offer overnight/out of hour care, what do you charge if yes? I had one child who I did overnights with when I first started. When she would stay overnight I treated her like my own. She slept in the spare bedroom in a pack and play (she was 1 year at the time) and I had a video monitor in the room. I charged a flat rate for the night.

Would I do it now? No, no, and just no. I have the children enough hours throughout the week


Answered in bold.
Reply
Tags:deposit agreement, deposits, last two weeks, overnight care
Reply Up