Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Explaining The Screaming Child
daycare 09:08 AM 05-11-2012
So some of you may have read about my problem eater that screams every meal. Well there still has been no resolution to this. It has gotten a little better, but still screaming every day.

Well every morning when parents are dropping off at the start of breakfast DCK is at the table or High chair screaming at the top of his lungs. The parents look at me like what's going on? Or why am I letting him scream? Only one has questioned it and I just responded rough morning. BUT its every day.......

I don't know how to explain this or even if I am allowed to. I don't ever discuss any issues with families that is not directly related to their child.

would you explain or say anything to the other parents?

BTW I am giving it 3 more weeks before I let this screamer child go.
DCP 09:16 AM 05-11-2012
In a situation like that - I would explain!!! No doubt..I would be afraid the parent would think the child was hurt or I was neglecting her..so a quick explanation then end the conversation so it does not go too deep
Zoe 10:06 AM 05-11-2012
I would be honest about it if it's every day. I agree with pp, you don't want anyone getting the wrong idea.
daycare 10:08 AM 05-11-2012
so what do I tell them....If I told them the truth of why the kid screams, I would be embarrassing the parents of this child....
Zoe 10:11 AM 05-11-2012
I haven't been on much lately and honestly don't know why your screamer screams. If it's a personal thing, then just tell the other parents that he's a screamer. Some kids just scream, that's all there is to it (whether there's more to it in this situation or not, that's all they need to know).

Just say, he's a screamer, he really is ok. And reassure the other parents that you have it under control and the child really is ok.
countrymom 10:11 AM 05-11-2012
why would you be embarressing the parent. If the parents would deal with his issues there wouldn't be any screaming. Now I have a child who cries alot (well more than normal) and is really clingly to me, all the parents know that she must be held alot (I didn't have to tell them, its the demeaner of the child and they all figured it out) sometimes we don't give parents credit enough, but I bet you alot of them know what is going on. Also, maybe some of them know each other and they can acually give you an insite on what is going on or give you other ideas.
daycare 10:12 AM 05-11-2012
Originally Posted by Zoe:
I haven't been on much lately and honestly don't know why your screamer screams. If it's a personal thing, then just tell the other parents that he's a screamer. Some kids just scream, that's all there is to it (whether there's more to it in this situation or not, that's all they need to know).

Just say, he's a screamer, he really is ok. And reassure the other parents that you have it under control and the child really is ok.
see why I need you guys....I would not have thought to say just what you said...

FYI- the parents have serious eating issues at home. They got so desperate to get the kid to eat that they resorted to letting DCK only eat cookies and candy....So here I get screaming for those two items...
Zoe 10:14 AM 05-11-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
see why I need you guys....I would not have thought to say just what you said...

FYI- the parents have serious eating issues at home. They got so desperate to get the kid to eat that they resorted to letting DCK only eat cookies and candy....So here I get screaming for those two items...
It really does help to talk it out doesn't it?!

I remember that kid now....ugh. I'm glad you've set a time limit on how much longer you're going to tolerate this.
daycare 10:15 AM 05-11-2012
Originally Posted by Zoe:
It really does help to talk it out doesn't it?!

I remember that kid now....ugh. I'm glad you've set a time limit on how much longer you're going to tolerate this.
yes it does..I think that a lot of times I am so frustrated about a situation that I cant think clearly.......
countrymom 11:34 AM 05-11-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:

you know what it is, the parents need to stand up and be parents. This child is playing them. The more he screams the more he will get his way. Obviously its not a food issue because he can eat candy and cookies. Now its time to take drastic measures, I would remove him the minute he screamed. If he doesn't eat ITS NOT YOUR PROBLEM. He will learn that he can sit at a table and not scream. Its going to take a couple of days but you need to be firm and get your mean angry daycare voice out.
daycare 11:44 AM 05-11-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
you know what it is, the parents need to stand up and be parents. This child is playing them. The more he screams the more he will get his way. Obviously its not a food issue because he can eat candy and cookies. Now its time to take drastic measures, I would remove him the minute he screamed. If he doesn't eat ITS NOT YOUR PROBLEM. He will learn that he can sit at a table and not scream. Its going to take a couple of days but you need to be firm and get your mean angry daycare voice out.
I tried that and it didnt work....this kid would rather play than eat...Yup could go all day without ever touching food. Kid will just wait until they got home..

Then I also had to deal with the other kids....well, if XYZ gets the choice to not eat and play, then I want that choice too. I have some smart kids.

The parents are on high alert that this is a huge issue. they also know that if DCK gets to lunch time and does not eat, that I will send DCK home. I have to make it their problem, because they are the ones who created it, not me. As some of you say, make it their problem, not mine......
momma2girls 04:53 PM 05-11-2012
I definately tell the parents at pick up how their day here went for all daycare children. If there is anything abnormal, I tell all!!
Reply Up