Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Think
DaycareMama 08:17 AM 11-04-2010
I had an inspection and they found UNopened "Hazardous materials" left on my deck that was in a plastic bottle. We were not going on the deck which is where the kids play cause it was cold and one dcg had no coat. Is it fair for me to get a violation? I can see If we were out there, if the container was open or at the very least the seal was broken, or if it was a glass bottle. Had we gone out there and I would have noticed it I would have obvioulsy moved it. It just doesn't seem fair to me. Whats your thoughts?

I am no way against violations. If I am doing something wrong write me up!
Gurdy 09:21 AM 11-04-2010
Is the deck accessible to the children at all times? Do you have to unlock the door to let them out there or is it possible that they could just open the door and walk out there? I had a similar violation with a bottle of "clorox anywhere spray" pushed all the way to the back of my kitchen counter that no child could have possibly reached, unless they pushed a chair up to the counter to reach it. Which I would think I would notice. But because it wasn't locked up, it was considered accessible to children.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:28 AM 11-04-2010
I wouldnt think so,.. unless they had free reign. I had my perfume in the top shelf of my med cabinet (7 feet off the ground),... I care for under 4 yrs,.. I got busted for having cleaning supplies accessable to the kids. yeah,.. riddle me THAT batman!
DaycareMama 09:31 AM 11-04-2010
My daycare is in the downstairs left side of my house with a baby gate so noone can go upstairs and the deck is on the upstairs right side of the house with another baby gate blocking the enterance up stairs. Also the deck has a gate on it blocking the stairs coming from the yard .

The "substance" was actually a beer bottle (plastic and unopened) that my dh left out from the night before. Bad, yes. Husband got yelled at. But come on really? They even tried to write me for the washed out ones that were in the recycling container. Washed out and plastic!!!!!!
I hate to dwell but I am really having a hard time letting this go for some reason.

I had no problem with the other write up about the extention cord my dh left on the deck also.
momofsix 09:31 AM 11-04-2010
Every space that we have included in our "licensed" space must be "inspection ready" at ALL times Would I pass that? No way! I clean up the dog's mess right before i let the kids on the grass (daily, so don't think I leave the lawn gross), There are also some things I can't clean up until i get a break, and if i were inspected at that time, I'm sure it would be a violation too. I just try my best to have everything as good as I can-it's usually stuff my husband and kids leave around that would get me in troube-I'm always on them to keep things up high--and they say "how could the kids do/get that while you're watching them?" and i have to usually agree with them! I try to go through my house every once in a while and go through the requirements and look at my home through and inspector's eyes and I usually find small things too.
Anyhow, technically, yes, I think she was within her rules to write you up.
DaycareMama 09:32 AM 11-04-2010
The only kids I have are under 2. They are both unable to twist anything open yet let alone something you have to break a seal
DaycareMama 09:40 AM 11-04-2010
Originally Posted by momofsix:
Every space that we have included in our "licensed" space must be "inspection ready" at ALL times Would I pass that? No way! I clean up the dog's mess right before i let the kids on the grass (daily, so don't think I leave the lawn gross), There are also some things I can't clean up until i get a break, and if i were inspected at that time, I'm sure it would be a violation too. I just try my best to have everything as good as I can-it's usually stuff my husband and kids leave around that would get me in troube-I'm always on them to keep things up high--and they say "how could the kids do/get that while you're watching them?" and i have to usually agree with them! I try to go through my house every once in a while and go through the requirements and look at my home through and inspector's eyes and I usually find small things too.
Anyhow, technically, yes, I think she was within her rules to write you up.
Honestly I 110% agree with you (although it may not sound like it ) This is the first time in 6 years being violated. I am a little bitter at the hubby because he does know better and cost me both but I do need to just put my big girl panties on and accept it. Your right about seeing it from there eyes.......
JJPlaycare 09:48 AM 11-04-2010
Makes you wonder how we all survived!
DanceMom 09:56 AM 11-04-2010
If the door is not child locked and a kid can open it and go out there..then yes you should have gotten the violation.. As much as we hate it these licensors find EVERYTHING possible that could hurt a kid....When I had my first inspection my jaw dropped at most of the stuff they said I had to fix, BUT after thinking about it I agreed with everything just never thought about it.

My last visit I was written up for water temp...I was doing laundry all day so the water heater was in full force at its hottest..I was over by like 2 degrees..I told all of my daycare parents and they all didnt even care thankfully...
melskids 10:05 AM 11-04-2010
where in the world in NY are you?!?!?

i'm in NY too, and my licensor comes in and sits down and chats w/ me. i dont think she could be bothered looking for anything.
MommyMuffin 10:35 AM 11-04-2010
Wow!..so as I understand it, it is part of your "licensed" area and I dont think they care that you have young children that cannot open it. So yeah I understand why they would write you up.
But I think they can be over zealous sometimes and except you to be perfect all the time. It should be a verbal reminder about hazardous material and then next visit makes sure they dont see the same thing. They should save the "write ups" for bigger issues..man!! I have heard some stories about visits and how unfair they can be sometimes. I know I do not have everything up to par everyday...I dont have knifes on the table or anything but I havent changed my diaper champ yet this morning and I should have...but sheesh I just finally got a chance to sit down!!
countrymom 11:17 AM 11-04-2010
I'm so glad we don't have liscencing people here. Last night, dh and go to the school for my kids skipping practise (its a rec thing) well we need to use the bathrooms. Well we use the drop in centers bathrooms and when I came out, I mention to dh, that a)why do they have a sign with instructions on it on how to wash your hands when most of the people using it are kids under 5yrs of age and b) they had spray bottles with cleaners out in plain site on a shelf 4 feet high, I just couldn't get over that even dh was wondering the same thing.
Crystal 11:33 AM 11-04-2010
I know I would definitley have been given a violation for that. I also would be required to hang a notice for the parents in a prominent place that the licensor leaves that specifies the violation.

Any open space that the children EVER have access to has to be clear of any toxic/poisonous chemicals, regardless of whether the children can access it at that moment or not. It can easily be overlooked or forgotten about when you do take them outside. Better to be safe than sorry.

Now, if that was the only violation you got, be happy That's ONE violation, not that big of a deal!
Tags:inspection, violations
Reply Up