Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>CA RATIO Question
NillaWafers 10:48 AM 08-04-2016
So my eldest son is going to kindergarten in September. I also have a kid going to TK next week. I've been looking to fill these two spots but have only gotten quite a bit of interest in infant spots.

Ca regulations say that when a school age kid is in care, I can only have two infants (which I currently have). However, my husband will be home at that point watching my son since he picks him up. Will he still be counted in ratios?

I would email or call my analyst but yeah, she doesn't reply or return calls
spedmommy4 10:57 AM 08-04-2016
Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
So my eldest son is going to kindergarten in September. I also have a kid going to TK next week. I've been looking to fill these two spots but have only gotten quite a bit of interest in infant spots.

Ca regulations say that when a school age kid is in care, I can only have two infants (which I currently have). However, my husband will be home at that point watching my son since he picks him up. Will he still be counted in ratios?

I would email or call my analyst but yeah, she doesn't reply or return calls
As silly as it sounds, I am leaning towards them counting him in your ratio. CA regulations say your own child counts until they are 10. Just to be sure, you can call the main licensing lline and ask to speak to the officer of the day. Sometimes you'll get the machine but they always call back the same day.
NillaWafers 11:06 AM 08-04-2016
I have the same feeling. Heh. Unless I go for a large license and then count hubby as an assistant.
CityGarden 11:36 AM 08-04-2016
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
As silly as it sounds, I am leaning towards them counting him in your ratio. CA regulations say your own child counts until they are 10. Just to be sure, you can call the main licensing lline and ask to speak to the officer of the day. Sometimes you'll get the machine but they always call back the same day.
When I called they said my dd (who is 9 year old) would count when she is home (even if with a dedicated tutor /babysitter just for her) they stated that would change once she turns 10! I am looking forward to her birthday --- it is also one reason I might not offer care after her school day ends.
NillaWafers 12:07 PM 08-04-2016
Eh not worth the effort to upgrade to a large license. Guess I'll just keep looking for those rare toddlers haha.
thrivingchildcarecom 12:23 PM 08-04-2016
I think to get the larger license just so you can fill the spots with new clients, infant or toddler. TIP: My license is for 12 as opposed to 14. With that stipulation, I don't have to pay an annual fire permit fee. My colleague, who is in the same city, has a license for 14 and has to pay a hefty fire permit fee every year.
NillaWafers 01:27 PM 08-04-2016
From experience, how many more hoops do I have to jump through for a large license?

I have definitely been thinking about it but hiring an assistant worries me (taxes, reliability, ect).

Obviously, if I got the large license my son would no longer count because hubby would be home after 3:20 to help. I just don't know if the effort is worth the payout - I would have three spots open, one infant spot and two toddler spots. Right now I could have three spots, but it would be one SA spot, and two toddler spots. I can't pick up SA kids so the likelihood is slim I would get one.

Or I could hire an assistant and get several more but be reliant on an assistant to stay within ratios, and spots in order to pay said assistant. I hate uncertainty!
spedmommy4 01:51 PM 08-04-2016
Originally Posted by NillaWafers:
From experience, how many more hoops do I have to jump through for a large license?

I have definitely been thinking about it but hiring an assistant worries me (taxes, reliability, ect).

Obviously, if I got the large license my son would no longer count because hubby would be home after 3:20 to help. I just don't know if the effort is worth the payout - I would have three spots open, one infant spot and two toddler spots. Right now I could have three spots, but it would be one SA spot, and two toddler spots. I can't pick up SA kids so the likelihood is slim I would get one.

Or I could hire an assistant and get several more but be reliant on an assistant to stay within ratios, and spots in order to pay said assistant. I hate uncertainty!
It depends on what area of California you live in. I was in a "rural" pocket in San Joaquin County. To get a large license, I had to pay $500 for a business license. (Just fill out the application and pay the fee). I also had to pay $50 and have a fire inspection/permit.

Fire permit required me to have a fire alarm with a station pull. If you don't know how to install them, it's crazy expensive. (Over $1,000)

All the licensing requirements are the same. You'd just have to pay to upgrade.
Reply Up