Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Less Than 12 Children- Connecticut
Carrie 03:10 PM 08-21-2016
Hello. I am a certified K-6 teacher. I would like to start my own daycare/educational center. I would be watching 10 children. I looked on the CT website and it said that you must be licenced as a center if you have over 12 children. What do I need if I only have 10????? Any help would be appreciated!!!!! - C
Blackcat31 03:23 PM 08-21-2016
Originally Posted by Carrie:
Hello. I am a certified K-6 teacher. I would like to start my own daycare/educational center. I would be watching 10 children. I looked on the CT website and it said that you must be licenced as a center if you have over 12 children. What do I need if I only have 10????? Any help would be appreciated!!!!! - C
You would be considered a group child care but it looks like if you operate out of your home the max number of kids you can have is 6. I could be wrong but that's how I read the regs from the link.
Here is the info for your state: https://www.daycare.com/connecticut/
lovemydaycare0912 04:38 AM 08-22-2016
You can operate out of your home with 6 as family child care and with up to 12 as group home child care. However, with group child care, you must follow a lot of the same regulations as a center. You'd need at least 35 sqft of indoor space per child, possibly sprinklers depending on where you are doing the child care out of, 5 different consultants (nurse, dietician, etc.), and so forth. You'd also need at least 2 other people working for you if you did 10 children. For group, it is 1 caregiver for every 4 unless you are doing age 3 and above. Then it is 1 caregiver for every 10 I believe. Not 100% sure. Feel free to message me!
daycarediva 10:14 AM 08-22-2016
The ratios for school are non existent (UPK here is 21:1!), welcome to FCC and ECE where ratios matter!
thrivingchildcarecom 10:21 AM 08-22-2016
Try contacting the licensing agency for your state and see if they have a child care advocate that you can reach out to. Also, see if there is a CCR in your area that can help you with licensing questions and advice for starting your child care.
Reply Up