Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Gloves For Little Hands
My Daycare 06:14 PM 01-13-2011
I have what seems like a silly problem, but has been a daily problem for me. My son is really small at 3.5 years old. Many of you have been providers for a while, so I am sure you have seen many more small kids than me. For 2 years I have been looking for waterproof gloves to fit him. Has anyone ever seen any small, maybe one year old size waterproof gloves or mittens at any store. I'm afraid my son is going to get frostbite soon with the knitted ones, and he is way to old for me to not let him play in the snow. Does anyone have a dck with little gloves that can ask the parent where they got them? Also, if anyone has any creative homemade ideas, then I am up for suggestions.
laundrymom 06:16 PM 01-13-2011
Fleece mittens over knit gloves worked for my girls.
DCMomOf3 07:02 PM 01-13-2011
I found waterfproof mittens at walmart ( 2 years ago maybe) in the toddler section with the other hats/mittens.
ammama 07:47 PM 01-13-2011
I buy mine from mountain equipment coop (Canada). Best mitts for young kids EVER. I now require them for my dayhome kids! LL Bean (US) also sells great stuff, and they have free shipping.
Abigail 08:52 PM 01-13-2011
If you can't find what you're looking for, you should buy two or three sets of mittens or gloves and just change them during outside play time so they're not wet soo long. Make sure to layer up. I always have two mittens (the cheap $1.50 ones that come in two packs) at all times on my hands or I freeze, but they still allow that flexiblity to do anything outside.
My Daycare 04:35 AM 01-14-2011
Thank you, I have just tried to double up mittens over gloves and I think it will work. The gloves make his wrists big enough to use the elastic from the mittens to hold them on. Can't wait to go out today to try it. I think it's gonna work and I'll also check out the stores mentioned above online.
Missani 06:21 AM 01-14-2011
I don't think they have gloves that small, but Columbia makes some great waterproof mittens in as small as 0-6 months. They zip up the top, too, so they are really easy to get on. They sell them at many stores (I got mine at Herberger's but one of my dcks has the same pair and mom found them at Kohl's) or you could probably find them online. It is hard to find waterproof ones, but it's a necessity if kids play outside. Also, my DS used to be tiny so I know it is especially hard to find properly fitting and age appropriate clothing.
Fro 07:34 AM 01-14-2011
Ok, I am NOT recomending this, only passing on a funny story.
When I was a kid, my mom would put a pair of knit mittens on me, then plastic sandwich baggys over that and another pair of mittens over that... she did the same thing on our feet, a pair of socks, plastic grocery bags or bread sacks, another pair of socks then our shoes. It did keep our hands and feet dry.... but its a bit redneck....
MG&Lsmom 10:02 AM 01-14-2011
I was going to suggest LL Bean or Lands End. I found some at a Rugged Bear outlet near us with nice long cuffs. They go all the way up to my son's elbows.
Blackcat31 10:05 AM 01-14-2011
Originally Posted by Fro:
Ok, I am NOT recomending this, only passing on a funny story.
When I was a kid, my mom would put a pair of knit mittens on me, then plastic sandwich baggys over that and another pair of mittens over that... she did the same thing on our feet, a pair of socks, plastic grocery bags or bread sacks, another pair of socks then our shoes. It did keep our hands and feet dry.... but its a bit redneck....
LOL! me too...we saved every single bread bag!! not at all redneck....more yankee than anything!
Cat Herder 01:07 PM 01-14-2011
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Toddlers-F...e-Set/15228726

I bought 6 sets of these for my DCK's. They work well for 6mos-2.5 year olds, so far. 3 of my 5 were premature at birth and are small fellows.
Greenshadow 01:53 PM 01-14-2011
You can double up socks that fit their feet and they will probably fit their hands. Thats what Ive done in the past. Clean ones, of course. Typically the size of your hand is close to the size of your feet.
Unregistered 07:30 AM 01-17-2011
Originally Posted by My Daycare:
I have what seems like a silly problem, but has been a daily problem for me. My son is really small at 3.5 years old. Many of you have been providers for a while, so I am sure you have seen many more small kids than me. For 2 years I have been looking for waterproof gloves to fit him. Has anyone ever seen any small, maybe one year old size waterproof gloves or mittens at any store. I'm afraid my son is going to get frostbite soon with the knitted ones, and he is way to old for me to not let him play in the snow. Does anyone have a dck with little gloves that can ask the parent where they got them? Also, if anyone has any creative homemade ideas, then I am up for suggestions.
My mother in law found waterproof mittens at Meijer (not sure if they have one around you)... they are awesome and they had them in a ton of colors for girls and boys...we used them this past weekend, All day Saturday and they kept his hands nice and toasty.

I believe they are Falls Creek brand.
Tags:gloves
Reply Up