Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Gave Notice Today
pootmcgoot 04:22 PM 06-25-2012
Dcm wanted to know if her deposit would be refunded. I told her no, that her son was welcome here until next Tuesday (fourth of July weekend makes the work week mon-tues). She seemed pissed incase they found someone new earlier than that.

Is that a normal way of doing things? I can't afford to pay her deposit back right now. But I have a feeling she will make waves since I've complained about her kids crying and it making my neighbors mad and that if he's inconsolable she's to pick him up. Husband says just pay get off but I think that won't even be enough for her to not make trouble because she seemed real pissed.
Hunni Bee 04:54 PM 06-25-2012
Originally Posted by pootmcgoot:
Dcm wanted to know if her deposit would be refunded. I told her no, that her son was welcome here until next Tuesday (fourth of July weekend makes the work week mon-tues). She seemed pissed incase they found someone new earlier than that.

Is that a normal way of doing things? I can't afford to pay her deposit back right now. But I have a feeling she will make waves since I've complained about her kids crying and it making my neighbors mad and that if he's inconsolable she's to pick him up. Husband says just pay get off but I think that won't even be enough for her to not make trouble because she seemed real pissed.
In most cases, deposits are non-refundable. What if she skips out on the last payment? You'll be left with nothing. Did you have her sign a contract?
AnneCordelia 05:05 PM 06-25-2012
What does your contract say about the deposit? Mine says that the deposit is non-refundable except to use towards the last week of childcare only when a proper two weeks notice is given by either party.
Kiki 05:07 PM 06-25-2012
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
In most cases, deposits are non-refundable. What if she skips out on the last payment? You'll be left with nothing. Did you have her sign a contract?
This. Does your contract state it's non refundable? If so, too bad so sad for her.
pootmcgoot 06:43 PM 06-25-2012
Contract says its non refundable and goes for the last week of care. I'm just gonna pay her the deposit and call it even. I need the quiet and can skip my cable bill.
EchoMom 08:02 PM 06-25-2012
I don't think you should pay her back the deposit, that's the whole point. She likely won't find someone that quickly, and even if she did, you've offered her her last week, if she chooses to leave early then that's her choice in not using her final week the deposit paid for.
safechner 08:21 PM 06-25-2012
Originally Posted by pootmcgoot:
Contract says its non refundable and goes for the last week of care. I'm just gonna pay her the deposit and call it even. I need the quiet and can skip my cable bill.
Do not pay her at all! Your policy is non-refundable and it is her problem, not yours. Do not let her win!
pootmcgoot 08:24 PM 06-25-2012
If she needs care mon and tues she won't get the deposit back. They're so high ranking they can cause big problems for dh at work.
youretooloud 08:59 PM 06-25-2012
O.K...BUT, you waited until a short work week to give her two weeks notice. That's the same as a parent who waits until two weeks before their vacation to give us notice so they don't have to pay for their vacation.

I think you should give her a two full week's notice instead of a week and two days to get those three extra days. I wouldn't give the deposit back though. I'd just offer her a few more days the following week if she so chooses.
pootmcgoot 03:55 AM 06-26-2012
I'd rather pay her than listen to 6+ hours of crying. My contract says 7 days notice (business and non business days). I've followed protocol. She was much nicer after I offered to pay her deposit last night. Also I told her to find emergency back up care because if I get a lease violation care will cease immidiately with a refund. So she should Of done that in may when alerted.
Breezy 09:23 AM 06-26-2012
That's so hard when they can cause problems with your DH at work. That's something I am dreading when we move and I start doing child care on base.
cheerfuldom 09:52 AM 06-26-2012
Doing daycare on a base sounds like a nightmare. It is so much more complicated on every level than just regular daycare. Its a small world on a base and it makes people feel forced to break their own rules or policies.
pootmcgoot 09:58 AM 06-26-2012
Cheerfuldom - EXACTLY. certain people have more pull here. They can make your life hell. In the civilian world you just say **** em and move on because bullying and retaliation aren't ok and have reprocucions. Here, when you piss off the boys club you're in for it because the chain of command us different than in a civilian world. When you get a speeding ticket as a civilian it doesn't affect your spouses career. Here if you have excessive speed your privledge to drive on post (where you live) is revoked and your spouse us reprimanded. You are a direct reflection of your spouse and his career.

And when you step on someone's toes who is high ranking, you never know which honey pots they have their fingers in and where you'll be black balled from.

I hate the army at times.
Tags:deposit - won't refund, termination notice
Reply Up