Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Holy Moly! What a Week!
makap 03:44 PM 03-14-2013
It has been March/Spring Break here where I live and I want it to end NOW!!! UGGG school agers.

Am I the only one who really REALLY dislikes caring for them? Way Wayyyyyyyyyyy to much work! I feel so bad but it is just too stressful and too much.

Babies and toddlers are just so much easier!

Tomorrow is my very last day EVER of having other people's school aged children!

As of tomorrow I will only be caring for the 3 and under crowd. I am so happy!!!!!!

DaisyMamma 04:02 PM 03-14-2013
LOL
Good for you.
The SA are a lot of work. They require constant entertainment and they are loud. I only have 3. One is mine, another is leaving next month. I will take one over the summer, but after that I'm not having more than the two next school year.
I think it would be different if the younger ones weren't there. If it were all SA, kwim?
makap 05:00 PM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
LOL
Good for you.
The SA are a lot of work. They require constant entertainment and they are loud. I only have 3. One is mine, another is leaving next month. I will take one over the summer, but after that I'm not having more than the two next school year.
I think it would be different if the younger ones weren't there. If it were all SA, kwim?
YES! It is the constant entertainment. Driving me Nucking Futs!
I can not wait for this week to end!

This week I had only 3 plus my own 9 year old son who was great but annoyed by the older one. He loves the littles but had trouble with this older one and it was a terrible **xx** week!!!!

I usually have 5-7 littles everyday and honestly it is a breezy day in the park with 5-7 under 3 year olds. I Love it!! I truly love my normal days!

Because some were off this week for the break, I took on one extra one. ONLY one extra!!! It was a regular child's brother and literally it was H E double hockey sticks. It has been 4 days of please shoot me now, Come on I can`t wait until pick up time days. NEVER EVER EVER again!!! I am done with any child over the age of 3 years old.

One more day to go and I promise myself never ever EVER again!
nannyde 05:12 PM 03-14-2013
No likey school agers. They are WAY more work than babies.
Unregistered 05:49 PM 03-14-2013
I totally agree with you!! I started 2 SA last summer thinking it'd be good for my ods to have kids his age to play with and I termed them bc I just could not handle them!! Hungry every 5 min, always bored, rearranging my entire playroom in the basement while I was cooking lunch!! Like I wanted to cry when I went down to get them to come eat. Why do they feel the need to destroy a room when they play?!?
mema 07:17 PM 03-14-2013
I stopped taking SA at the end of this past summer (other than my own-altho sometimes I wonder if they should go to a program) and it was one of the best things I have done!
Unregistered 07:21 PM 03-14-2013
Right when I opened last year I took two school agers that were 6 and almost 9... I would have to agree. I thought they Would play nice with my kids but... No. It was like over kill and they didn't want to play together. Always hungry and cost me way to much money in food, always bored and wanted me to do nothing but play games and me do their hair etc. great kids but I had 3'other kids under 2 here and my own school age kids!
CedarCreek 07:56 PM 03-14-2013
I wouldn't mind them so much if they would stop.with.the.questions!

"why are you doing that?"
"do you have pop tarts?"
"what's that?"
"where are you going?"
"when are we going outside?"
"why are you holding a pillow over my face?"

Just kidding on that last one! Sorry!
jenn 08:05 PM 03-14-2013
I don't have any regular school agers. I don't transport, so no before school/ after school and I don't take summer school agers. I do have a few that come from time to time when school is closed, they maybe come once a month or less. They are all kids that attended here before kindergarten. I like it because my almost 5 year old daughter loves playing with them. However, if I had them everday, I would want to poke my eyes out!
MNMum 08:08 PM 03-14-2013
I dread the schoolagers. After this year I will not take anymore. Right now I just have one first grader (has a younger sibling in the program). He's only here about 45 minutes in the morning and the occasional drop in day.
LK5kids 09:04 PM 03-14-2013
When I did child care before this time around ( back at it after a long time away) I was registered for 6 under kindergarten age and 5 school age. For about five years I was full each summer with 5 SA. I also had 5 SA after school each day.

Some of these kids had been with me for years.....some not. I had a very large yard they could run in. They played inside until 9:30 when we all went out.

I did not allow them to be outside w/ out me except for a little while after lunch. They ranged in age from 6 yrs to about 10yrs. They were always good as gold. They came in after lunch and played quietly while the little ones napped. The SA kids were in my smaller room where we ate and the little kids were in an adjoining room sleeping.

They played so quietly and nice during that time. What has happened since I have been away? I am only planning on taking SA that are going into kindergarten or maybe first. I don't have the best set up for SA now.

Now I am afraid!!! Hahaha. I have to ask why some of you only want kids three and under? I love 4's and really only want kids 1 yr. and up. I'd love all 3 & 4's!
Patches 10:00 PM 03-14-2013
I will not ever ever EVER take school agers. I would much rather have a room full of infants than schoolagers. No, no, no, no, no!
Meyou 01:35 AM 03-15-2013
I was over the moon with happiness when my own SAer went for a sleepover yesterday and I had a break.
Springdaze 05:35 AM 03-15-2013
they drive me nuts too, but i deal. i have one who i havent had in a while, since he left for kindy and now i will have him afterschool a few days and then in the summer. im hungry, im thirsty, can i have this can i have that? I am so mean to him, but he just doesnt stop! only mean because I say no so often. I keep threatening my kids that I am going to sed them away! i wish I could though, it would be more fun for them in a camp type thing rather than hanging with little kids.
just_peachy 05:51 AM 03-15-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
I wouldn't mind them so much if they would stop.with.the.questions!

"why are you doing that?"
"do you have pop tarts?"
"what's that?"
"where are you going?"
"when are we going outside?"
"why are you holding a pillow over my face?"

Just kidding on that last one! Sorry!
I lol'd.

This thread is making me feel a lot better about the tension between me and my OWN SA... He's my oldest so this is all new to me. ...Does the "tween" age really start this early? And he's a "good" kid. I count my lucky stars.
Reply Up