Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Public Displays of Affection
Crystal 12:42 PM 03-29-2013
Okay....with the whole DOMA being reconsidered by the Supreme Court, and the issue of Time magazine I just recieved that has two women on the cover kissing......where do you stand on public displays of affection?

While I am in support of the GLBTQ community, and have several friends who are gay/bi/lesbian, I don't neccessarily want to see gay/lesbian couples kissing....BUT, I feel the same way about heterosexual couples. I think there is a time and a place for kissing/rubbing against each other etc. and it does not happen to be in public places, no matter your orientation. I also don't want to see it on the cover of a magazine (Time magazine SUX, btw)

So, how about you?
just_peachy 01:01 PM 03-29-2013
I used to think PDA was gross, but I think I'm getting sentimental in my old age. I love seeing couples nuzzle or smooch innocently. Making out is too much for me. Groping is too much for me.

The teens that nuzzle and smooch make me nostalgic, and the older couples that do it make me hopeful.
Crystal 01:03 PM 03-29-2013
Originally Posted by just_peachy:
I used to think PDA was gross, but I think I'm getting sentimental in my old age. I love seeing couples nuzzle or smooch innocently. Making out is too much for me. Groping is too much for me.

The teens that nuzzle and smooch make me nostalgic, and the older couples that do it make me hopeful.
That's sweet.
Country Kids 01:11 PM 03-29-2013
DOMA-What is that?

I think hand holding is fine and I love when you see older couples doing this or maybe a small kiss on the cheek.

Full on kissing, hands in each other back pockets, walking where one person is in front of the other person (usually the girl is in front), being led around like a puppy, over the top hugging-I don't like it.

To me there is a time and place for everything. I think respect/common courtisy is just gone anymore.
Crystal 01:13 PM 03-29-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
DOMA-What is that?

I think hand holding is fine and I love when you see older couples doing this or maybe a small kiss on the cheek.

Full on kissing, hands in each other back pockets, walking where one person is in front of the other person (usually the girl is in front), being led around like a puppy, over the top hugging-I don't like it.

To me there is a time and place for everything. I think respect/common courtisy is just gone anymore.
DOMA = Defense of Marriage Act

It essentially prohibits Gay Marriage. It is being reconsidered as to whether or not it is Constitutional.
MarinaVanessa 01:20 PM 03-29-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Okay....with the whole DOMA being reconsidered by the Supreme Court, and the issue of Time magazine I just recieved that has two women on the cover kissing......where do you stand on public displays of affection?

While I am in support of the GLBTQ community, and have several friends who are gay/bi/lesbian, I don't neccessarily want to see gay/lesbian couples kissing....BUT, I feel the same way about heterosexual couples. I think there is a time and a place for kissing/rubbing against each other etc. and it does not happen to be in public places, no matter your orientation. I also don't want to see it on the cover of a magazine (Time magazine SUX, btw)

So, how about you?
I feel the same way about it. I don't like seeing anyone kissing in public ... hetero or not. Hand holding I'm ok with and hugging too as long as it's not over the top groping and @$$ grabbing.

PS I love the Kindle commercial:
Girl in sun chair an in bikini has Kindle
Hot dude next to her in a sun chair doesn't
Hot dude buy Kindle and tells girl in bikini they should celebrate
Girl tells hot guy that her husband is at the bar getting her a drink
Hot dude tells girl "So is mine"
Camera pans to two guys at the bar (one is apparently the girls husband and the other is the hot dude's husband)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS3t9reE364

This isn't overly "in your face" but proves it's point
NeedaVaca 01:23 PM 03-29-2013
Hand holding, peck on the cheek is sweet. Groping/making out? Get a room

BTW- There are 2 Time covers being distributed-one with 2 women, another with 2 men.
Starburst 01:36 PM 03-29-2013
I think a quick little peck on the check (or even on the lips) is okay as long as it doesn't look like your to swallow each others faces.

Bookworm 02:33 PM 03-29-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I feel the same way about it. I don't like seeing anyone kissing in public ... hetero or not. Hand holding I'm ok with and hugging too as long as it's not over the top groping and @$$ grabbing.

Camera pans to two guys at the bar (one is apparently the girls husband and the other is the hot dude's husband)

I love that one too.
Lyss 02:50 PM 03-29-2013
As far as PDA I don't really want to watch anyone making out, little amounts of PDA don't bother me but the makeout/groping sessions I sometimes see going on are a bit much for me

I thought that was a great one too!
Springdaze 06:11 AM 04-02-2013
kindle ad was ok, but what was the point? Time cover I wouldnt want my kids to see
originalkat 06:56 AM 04-02-2013
I really don't like PDA. It just seems inappropriate to me. I hug or quick kiss is okay, but more than that should be private.
KnoxMom 07:01 AM 04-02-2013
PDA, as with anything else, should be done in good taste. I kiss on the lips is cute, hand holding and the like is adorable. On the other hand, if I have to cover my child's face or stop them from staring... it means you're doing WAY too much.
mema 07:41 AM 04-02-2013
I think hand holding, a quick hug or kiss good-bye or hello is fine. Tonsil hockey, a$$ grabbing, making out, etc is not. My fil and his wife drive me batty. They constantly walk around with their hand in each others back pocket. Ds won't even walk with them when they do that. Hold hands, not cheeks!
kathiemarie 07:59 AM 04-02-2013

This is how I feel also.
crazydaycarelady 08:04 AM 04-02-2013
I'm fine with holding hands, hugging, and kissing (not French kissing) but anything else needs to be in privacy.
CedarCreek 08:12 AM 04-02-2013
Dh and I basically just fist bump in public.
MotherNature 08:37 AM 04-02-2013
I'm w/ most here. a peck on the lips, even a quick French kiss, hugs, hand holding, arms around shoulders or waist don't bother me. Making out seems a bit tacky to me. Prolonged deep kisses are a bit excessive.
AnneCordelia 09:36 AM 04-02-2013
I think the photos on the cover of Time are fine. Its not sloppy or graphic. Everyone loved that pic of the soldier kissing the nurse at the end of WWII when it appeared in Life magazine. Dont even get me started on the rape culture that glorifies a man kissing a strange woman.

I am fine with basic pda...hand holding, hugs, simple kisses. Im not so into more intimate pdas...making out, groping, etc. This applies to everyone regardless of sexuality.
littlemissmuffet 09:38 AM 04-02-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:

So, how about you?
I don't care. My husband and I are down right nasty in public, lol... and if people don't like it they can turn the other way. We hold hands EVERYWHERE we go. We hugs lots. But we also grab and make out too. Of course, if there are kids around we only peck and hold hands. Lots of people have glared at us, but nobody has actually SAID anything. We do get lots of comments that it's nice to see two people so in love, etc.
Heidi 12:36 PM 04-02-2013

That commercial made me laugh out loud...very cute and "cheeky"
Heidi 12:38 PM 04-02-2013

daycarediva 03:15 PM 04-02-2013
I'm not a pda person. Dh and I will hold hands, or dh will put his arm around me, but that's about it. Our wedding kiss was terribly peck-ish because I am so shy. At home, my dd and ds are all "GET A ROOM!"
Reply Up