Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Girl Starting Today...
Evansmom 06:44 AM 04-01-2013
17 month old new DCG, never ever been in a group environment, never been away from family, never played with other kids.

Whoo boy! Not sure what today will bring but in my experience this can be the hardest kind of kids to help transition. Especially bc 18 months is a typical peak for separation anxiety.

And I'm having a lot of personal stress right now

Words of advice for transitioning her?

Thanks!
Blackcat31 06:50 AM 04-01-2013
I really have no advice (sorry) but I just want to say I hope your day goes well and that I am sending tons of good thoughts and wishers for a smooth and easy transition.

That's a tough age....but at the same time it is a curious age too so maybe lots of fun interesting toys will catch her attention and keep her engaged.

I usually don't stress over newbies until it gets to nap time.

Good luck and stay positive!
snbauser 06:56 AM 04-01-2013
Keep her busy. Todays drop off probably won't be bad because everything is new and exciting. I always tell parents the 2nd day is harder because they know mom/dad is leaving. good luck! Hope it goes smoothly.
momofsix 07:17 AM 04-01-2013
Hoping that it all goes smoothly for you today!
Has she had a chance to see you and your place before? Unless she's super clingy, all the new stuff should keep her happy and curious- Until...like blackcat said...naptime
Evansmom 08:53 AM 04-01-2013
Thanks all!

I'm actually sitting here on the floor playing bristle blocks with the kids she's been happy all day even at drop off!

I think I've been scared about her transition bc my last two clients were a bomb! I had to term one effective immediately and that was the first time I've ever had to do that! So I'm enjoying my morning with these kids yay!

But we will see at naptime... I can handle that tho.
Bookworm 03:11 PM 04-01-2013
There was a new DCG that started in the toddler room today with the same situation but with the added complication that the parents haven't spoke a word of English to her. Fortunately, the teachers acted out what they needed to say to her. She cried for a little while,of course, but they said she did pretty good. Everyone was so worried about her that we took pretend bathroom breaks just to check on her.
Evansmom 03:44 PM 04-01-2013
Originally Posted by Bookworm:
There was a new DCG that started in the toddler room today with the same situation but with the added complication that the parents haven't spoke a word of English to her. Fortunately, the teachers acted out what they needed to say to her. She cried for a little while,of course, but they said she did pretty good. Everyone was so worried about her that we took pretend bathroom breaks just to check on her.
Oh that's heartening that you all cared so much about her welfare that you checked in on her!

My DCG's parents don't speak English to her but her Gma does all day so that's been helpful.
Bookworm 06:03 PM 04-01-2013
Originally Posted by Evansmom:
Oh that's heartening that you all cared so much about her welfare that you checked in on her!

My DCG's parents don't speak English to her but her Gma does all day so that's been helpful.
In my situation, it's the opposite.
Springdaze 06:15 AM 04-02-2013
how did it go?
Evansmom 06:24 AM 04-02-2013
Originally Posted by Springdaze:
how did it go?
Thanks for asking! It went well. As well as the first day for a 17 month old can go anyway. She did end up fussing (not true crying) when I left her in her bed at naptime. But only for a few minutes and then she fell asleep. She only slept for a little over an hour but I think she will sleep more as she gets more comfortable.

But I forgot how much work a one year old is!! Sheesh! But the family seems very nice, they paid on time and brought everything I requested so even though she's younger than I usually take, I think a good fit with the family is ultimately more important.
Reply Up